Ohlins Road & Track

Anybody have any experience with fitting Ohlins Road & Track coilovers to their car?

I'm considering buying and installing them for my GT3 to improve the low speed damping quality & high speed stability of the car over our rough rural roads here in Qld.  But looking at the specs, the spring rates as supplied with the new shocks are much stiffer than the standard GT3 springs, so I'm not too sure if I'm heading in the right direction.

I realise that the R&T's have probably better damping characteristics than the originals,  which can equal out the higher spring rates, but I don't want to pile a load of cash into something that feels like a mobile buckboard.

Also to be considered is if non standard suspension is fitted to the car, would it impact $$ value trade in time?

Your thought would be appreciated....

• 5 months later...

Like the above poster I have no experience of Ohlins in the Porsche world but have them on my current NC2 MX5 and an Evo X I had. Both times they impressed me to no end, very comfortable but also good enough performance on the track (I have had a ton of other brands over the years like MCA, KW, Bilstein etc.. but came back to Ohlins for my street/track car despite the expense).

I wouldn't worry too much that the spring rate is going up, good dampers with a high spring rate can be more comfortable than lower spring rate with poor damping. 

Also keep the stock shocks for resale when you get the coilovers installed, you'll  come out ahead by selling a stock car and the shocks separately. I know when I see coilovers in a car I get more worried it's been heavily tracked (would definitely look the sellers name up on natsoft).

Pretty sure my mechanic uses them in the P cars and others he prepares for Targa Tas and other Tarmac Rallies.  They also seem to be the go to option most often referred to in the UK P mags.  Would suggest you probably can't go wrong with them.

Thanks guys - looks like Ohlins are the goods. My next "problem" is convincing 'er indoors that a $5k outlay is OK.

rego. Good point regarding stock car & shocks at selling time, but would a prospective buyer look at a near 20 year old GT3 fitted with a set of 2020 Ohlins suspension as  detrimental?

Suspension has improved enormously over the last few yeas and I would have thought that modern coilovers would be an attraction to a prospective buyer - no?

23 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

but would a prospective buyer look at a near 20 year old GT3 fitted with a set of 2020 Ohlins suspension as  detrimental?

Not me, I'd consider that a huge win. 

46 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Fair comment Hugh.

After saying that, are you running stock shocks / springs on your MK1? Has it done many Km on the suspension components?  

Yep. My MK1 has the original suspension & springs and is currently at 50,000km.