Racing Harness

Why do racing harness expire after Five years ? 
Just put my car through a CAMS scrutineering and was advised harness are out of date cannot be used but use the seatbelts they are OK .

Just makes no sense the harness in my car are virtually new . 

It's supposed to be 5 years for FIA spec usage, CAMS club level stuff you have an extra 5 years, so a 2015 dated harness should be good until 2025.  I managed to get a 3" Sabelt one in Red from Tas Autosports, $368 I think it was for the 6 pointer.  Also be aware of the 2020 requirement for a HANS device + suitable helmet for even club-level hillclimbs, circuit sprints etc - a must if car has a rollcage.  There is, I believe, some query about whether a HANS can be used with a 3" harness, as there is a 3" into 2"  option on some, such as Sabelt and I think Schroth.  Not sure where 2020 rules go for a car without a rollcage, and whether you're even allowed 4 or 6 pointers.....

Someone else with a greater CAMS technical knowledgebase may be able to advise.

If you check the web site for cams the 2020 rules regarding helmets ,Hans and Harness should be on there ,,as TwoHeadsTas said you only get 10 years out of harness and helmet at club level ,,,I myself have two Williams 6 points in good condition from the last 20 odd years of supersprints sitting in my workshop ,,,both out of date but still in tip top shape ,but useless for motorsport ..

Helmets the same have two well looked after Simpson helmets again out of date sitting the shop ..

I know this stuff is expensive ,,but these are the rules ,,and lets be honest the cams scrutineering rep who checks all this stuff before events really has nothing other than the dates to go off ,,,,Eg he has no idea if the harness has been on a car that has had a big accident or if the helmet has been dropped a dozen times ,,,,the date system ensures participants update their safety gear every 10 years .. 

I use 3 inch wide harness on Hans ,,,no issue at all 

5 minutes ago, Airhead said:

Beware the cheap fake ones.

Yep, got caught with the fake Sabelt ones too, sent them back for full refund via Paypal - one of the advantages of paying via Paypal.  No hologram label next to the date, no serial nos or stamping on the end plates, and the symbol in the middle of the buckle fell out when I opened the pack.  They were $158.00 each, bought a genuine one for $358 I think it was.....

Here's some more info on the fake ones.....

https://vsport.com.au/sabelt-race-harnesses-real-vs-fake/

23 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Yep, got caught with the fake Sabelt ones too, sent them back for full refund via Paypal - one of the advantages of paying via Paypal.  No hologram label next to the date, no serial nos or stamping on the end plates, and the symbol in the middle of the buckle fell out when I opened the pack.  They were $158.00 each, bought a genuine one for $358 I think it was.....

Here's some more info on the fake ones.....

https://vsport.com.au/sabelt-race-harnesses-real-vs-fake/

That was nasty . Anything that seems too cheap is always just that