97mm cylinders

RTP

Thanks for that. I have been helping out with some work on a Limbach L2400 engine in an aircraft.

Interesting hybrid motor. It looks to me like VW Type 25 heads. Porsche 97mm air cooled cylinders and a VW waterboxer case with the water jackets machined off.

Parts from Limbach are becoming problematic since a Chinese company bought them out.

Here is a photo of the L2400

l2400eb.jpg.b47acaadffb955a06bfa3ccc75a459cf.jpg

This one is in a Hoffman Dimona H36 motor glider. I have found it fascinating how the whole VW, Porsche world has morphed into sport aircraft engines like Limbach and Sauer starting a long while back.

I have discovered that these aircraft manufacturers often re-badge Porsche and VW parts and charge outrageous amounts.

A little while back we had to find a new fuel cap for the Dimona. The aircraft manufacturer's price was 186 Euros. It was a BMW 2002 cap which we got for $22 from the BMW wreckers.

Rob

18 minutes ago, RTP said:

This one is in a Hoffman Dimona H36 motor glider. I have found it fascinating how the whole VW, Porsche world has morphed into sport aircraft engines like Limbach and Sauer starting a long while back.

I have discovered that these aircraft manufacturers often re-badge Porsche and VW parts and charge outrageous amounts.

A little while back we had to find a new fuel cap for the Dimona. The aircraft manufacturer's price was 186 Euros. It was a BMW 2002 cap which we got for $22 from the BMW wreckers.

Rob

So you have discovered aviation tax...and you thought Porsche tax was exorbitant  😧

You bet! They charge what they think the market will bear.

The aviation guys even make the Porsche distributors look like amateurs at price gauging.

Another recent example is Porsche 90mm piston rings. About $80 per piston from Porsche. Exactly the same rings in exactly the same packaging envelope is $180 from the aviation distributors.

Rob