Water restrictions = scratches?

Stu

So with the lack of water and the new Sydney water restrictions, how on earth can we wash our cars with out scratching them? Water is precious now, so hosing off the dirt before I wash the car is out, I don’t see how I won’t scratch the hell out It. The commercial car wash business are probably even worse. Am I being too pedantic? Any thoughts?

i read about waterless wash products - I presume they are not great?

Late night + self serve wash bay + your own washing stuff. The late night part is really important as they don't like you bringing your own gear along and not actually paying for the whole time your there. Generally the places which car meets attend are better places to go.

Just make sure the water doesn't dry too quickly on the car as they might be adding sodium chrloride to the water. Generally the high pressure water they might mix more into compared to the final rinse / misting spray / low pressure rinse. The mist spray should be a better ph level and some locations even have a deionizer.

2 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

What rain???

Haha yes the lack of rain to fill the tank is my problem. I have 3 tanks... all empty 😥

Yea I’ll try to find the closest self washing place - thanks for all the advice!

ignore the BS rules and wash your car out of site with the hose .............And when I am finished washing my car I will hose my concrete down to keep it clean also :Chuckle2:

Screw them the wankers in power should have upgraded the infrastructure over a decade ago ,electricity ,water ,roads and public transport all shit 

2 minutes ago, ANF said:

Checking the actual rainfall for 2019, Sydney is well over double that of Adelaide, Melbourne and Hobart and close to 50% more than Brisbane. Simple question - what the hell does Sydney do with all that water!!??

When the infrastructure doesn't match the population/population growth... you should come drive the roads! :lol: 

Just now, edgy said:

When the infrastructure doesn't match the population/population growth... you should come drive the roads! :lol: 

Maybe, but we are in the middle of (well it has not stopped for the last 20 years) a building boom/ growth period and we have plenty of water.

FYI - Sydney 850mm to date, Hobart 322mm to date for 2019....

2 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

What rain???

Read above, Sydney rainfall is greater than most states.  When it rains it rains heavy and lots of it.  Most runs down the drain.  Install tanks and store it for use around the house.  I have 14000 litres in three tanks and never are the tanks empty.  I water most of the garden, wash the cars and pressure spray all my paving.  I am on a 2000 sq mtr block.  Yes the tanks get low sometimes but never have I ran out in 10 years since installed.  When we get a day or two of rain they are full again.  Save money on rates too.

5 minutes ago, ANF said:

Maybe, but we are in the middle of (well it has not stopped for the last 20 years) a building boom/ growth period and we have plenty of water.

409429731_ScreenShot2019-12-12at4_03_42pm.thumb.png.ffb1abc37a687195d4f60275ed638a29.png

1710582286_ScreenShot2019-12-12at4_03_06pm.thumb.png.c6847eb560d68631220ebe8eacb60012.png

TAS population = 533k~ 

NSW population = 8.07m ~ 

So TAS with 3% more capacity over NSW, yet NSW has over 14 times the population... the damn level are correct as of yesterday. 🤐

13 minutes ago, ANF said:

Our dead shit political leaders have not upgraded any of the infrastructure in the last 20 years ,,,they are happy to make you pay but do nothing to improve things for the greater good ..........All about screwing your hip pocket in Sydney 

13 minutes ago, edgy said:

409429731_ScreenShot2019-12-12at4_03_42pm.thumb.png.ffb1abc37a687195d4f60275ed638a29.png

1710582286_ScreenShot2019-12-12at4_03_06pm.thumb.png.c6847eb560d68631220ebe8eacb60012.png

TAS population = 533k~ 

NSW population = 8.07m ~ 

So TAS with 3% more capacity over NSW, yet NSW has over 14 times the population... the damn level are correct as of yesterday. 🤐

Well someone has stuffed up bigtime there!! How long has this been an issue for Sydney?

I remember a long time ago that Tasmania was one of the first (if not the first) state to introduce water restrictions, now we have not had them for many years.

Time to kick someone in the arse!!

While I agree that infrastructure hasn’t kept pace with population growth and they were warned many years ago, the problem with the rainfall is that it hasn’t fallen in the catchment area, so you can’t store it if you can’t catch it.  Years ago you weren’t allowed to put a tank on your house because it would interfere with the natural water flow etc, well that was the excuse, but then they realise that infrastructure was not sufficient, so they changed the rules. Stuff the natural water flow.

News today, not sure if it’s fake, but 450 gigalitres of water have been sold to a foreign interest in Singapore!

These pollies should read “The Goose that Laid the Golden Egg” cos we are just about plucked.

As a side whinge:  we had 6500 gallons in the tanks but then a pipe to the house split and we lost 500+ gallons. Fixed it yesterday and we had a short heavy shower. Beauty, that’ll top up the tanks...not.  Pipe to the tanks was blocked, so we watched most of the water overflow the gutters.  🤬. Unblocked,  now rain Huey !!

Earlier in the year the silly state government paid some huge amount of money in the tens of millions to restart the useless desalination plant ,,,,those funds and the initial funds spent on this red herring could have been put to better use building another dam that is needed to sustain Sydneys population growth ....but as we all now the dead shit pollies who signed off on this crap deal all got their pockets lined and agreed on a 50 year lease to the owners of the plant ,half off this being foreign owned ,,,the plant only contributes 15% of Sydneys water needs :wacko:

My only water supply is self caught and stored and we've not run out of water ever from use - only once ever have we run out and it was due to a large crack developing in the completely buried/underground tank and eventually the level dropped to below the pick up point for the pump.  We have circa 150k litres for the house and 22k for the shed.  I enjoy my full flow 10 min showers 🙂

6 hours ago, Raven said:

ignore the BS rules and wash your car out of site with the hose .............And when I am finished washing my car I will hose my concrete down to keep it clean also :Chuckle2:

Screw them the wankers in power should have upgraded the infrastructure over a decade ago ,electricity ,water ,roads and public transport all shit 

Haha love it mate!

8 minutes ago, jakroo said:

My only water supply is self caught and stored and we've not run out of water ever from use - only once ever have we run out and it was due to a large crack developing in the completely buried/underground tank and eventually the level dropped to below the pick up point for the pump.  We have circa 150k litres for the house and 22k for the shed.  I enjoy my full flow 10 min showers 🙂

Wow that is a lot of water! My country property only has 40k and I thought that was a lot. My home only has 20k but it has not really rained where I am for a long time. Might try the gerni out if the bucket!

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Read above, Sydney rainfall is greater than most states.  When it rains it rains heavy and lots of it.  Most runs down the drain.  Install tanks and store it for use around the house.  I have 14000 litres in three tanks and never are the tanks empty.  I water most of the garden, wash the cars and pressure spray all my paving.  I am on a 2000 sq mtr block.  Yes the tanks get low sometimes but never have I ran out in 10 years since installed.  When we get a day or two of rain they are full again.  Save money on rates too.

Would love to have the space for that much water but... my mate just bought a ‘renovators delight’ in my suburb on just over 2,000m for $6m - the land to put those tanks on in Syd is just too much for me. I put in 20k L 2 years ago but that’s all I could fit mate

5 hours ago, Raven said:

Earlier in the year the silly state government paid some huge amount of money in the tens of millions to restart the useless desalination plant ,,,,those funds and the initial funds spent on this red herring could have been put to better use building another dam that is needed to sustain Sydneys population growth ....but as we all now the dead shit pollies who signed off on this crap deal all got their pockets lined and agreed on a 50 year lease to the owners of the plant ,half off this being foreign owned ,,,the plant only contributes 15% of Sydneys water needs :wacko:

Hell yes!

It may seem a lot but then in times of no rain such as the past 6  months, it means I have some reserves.  I can't drink the shed water as I don't look after it.  The volume for the house includes 50k litres I can't access from the house pump as it's a reserve for fire fighting duties.

I don't recall the exact roof catchment area, but I think about 300mm will fill the tank from dead empty so at an average of 800mm pa, it'll fill plenty of times.  But not everyone has the luxury of building such a large tank so they're limited to what they have available.  My parents have a home out towards Crookwell and Gunning (out from Goulburn NSW), and about 2 years ago they doubled their house water to 50k litres and it has revolutionised their lifestyle.  Water is such a critical thing for us in terms of food supply, actual well being and so on.  Personally I think washing cars and watering the lawn with reticulated supply (from the country's infrastructure) is a waste of such an important resource that costs a lot to get it fit for human consumption.  Don't get me wrong, we need to wash our goods etc but I'd certainly argue with using food grade water for it.

16 hours ago, Raven said:

I will hose my concrete down to keep it clean also :Chuckle2:

I didn't realise you were Italian :)

16 hours ago, Raven said:

Our dead shit political leaders have not upgraded any of the infrastructure in the last 20 years 

De-sal plant?

Russian we also love to hose concrete I have around 700 square meters of it  .................:Chuckle2:

I mentioned the red herring Del sal plant above ,,huge amounts of tax payer funds spent on a something that delivers only 15% of Sydneys supply needs and is owned partly by foreign investments with a 50 year lease contract ..