Manthey Racing Australia Launch

Just booked and paid for Nurburgring track day May 2020 in an M2 and a taxi lap in the Apex GT2 RS MR, the fastest ring taxi of them all.  See below, there is another video on their channel explaining the mods including those rear wheel discs.  Hopefully I get some brave pills for Xmas......😁

Also booked spa 991 GT3 drive a few days later plus a couple of taxi laps in a 991 GT3 RS.  Will be good to compare the pair!

oh and booked a Taycan factory tour đŸ‘ŒđŸ»

1 hour ago, DJM said:

You could buy a 996 GT3 with what you might otherwise spend Manthey-ing your GT2 RS 😳

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/porsche-911-gt2-rs-mr-australian-pricing-and-details

I’m still trying to work out at what point is a stock GT2 RS not fast enough? 

I’m thinking the market for these upgrades are people who are happy to pay anything in order to buy a few seconds on track as opposed to investing more time learning how to drive faster? Especially when they are getting schooled by a plucky red rotary! 

1 hour ago, hugh said:

I’m thinking the market for these upgrades are people who are happy to pay anything in order to buy a few seconds on track as opposed to investing more time learning how to drive faster? Especially when they are getting schooled by a plucky red rotary! 

😂 the buzzard is quick but a well driven GT2 would have my measure.

I'll let you know mid next year after my 'Ring lap in the GT2 MR whether it's worth it.  Big difference over there is they have roads and tracks where you can exploit the extra power and aero.  Here, zero point to it other than cars n coffee bragging rights.

9 hours ago, hugh said:

Gees... I‘m pretty sure the ppl who can pay anything to buy a few seconds also can invest their time in learning to drive.  Which half serious track rat hasn’t paid for time whether it be from better brakes, coil overs, some aero, tires or just some other flux capacitor.

This kit is a chance to get your car tuned to the Manthey Racing spec... Not just parts, but dialled in to their actual values. Values tuned by the proper racing gear heads who do top level Porsche racing  Just like wanting to ride a 2RS MR ring taxi, who wouldn’t want to own and drive the fastest road legal car on the planet? 

For guys who can afford the 2RS entry price, the dollars to them are probably like average punters dropping bucks on say... I dunno... a 3 day alpine tour.

Just my 2 cents 

Just like Gucci loafers or Louis Vuitton bags, no one needs them but plenty buy them.  Plenty of people will pay mega bucks to have "the best".

Be pretty cool to blast around The Bend in a 2MR but on the road which be frustratingly capable.

1 hour ago, vin said:

Gees... I‘m pretty sure the ppl who can pay anything to buy a few seconds also can invest their time in learning to drive.  Which half serious track rat hasn’t paid for time whether it be from better brakes, coil overs, some aero, tires or just some other flux capacitor.

This kit is a chance to get your car tuned to the Manthey Racing spec... Not just parts, but dialled in to their actual values. Values tuned by the proper racing gear heads who do top level Porsche racing  Just like wanting to ride a 2RS MR ring taxi, who wouldn’t want to own and drive the fastest road legal car on the planet? 

For guys who can afford the 2RS entry price, the dollars to them are probably like average punters dropping bucks on say... I dunno... a 3 day alpine tour.

Just my 2 cents 

I’ve got not doubt that the Manthey product is fantastic. My comment was rather questioning the need for it on such a highly capable car, especially here in Aus given the limited tracks where you explore the extent of its potential. 

In the last few years of my varied Motorsport adventures I rarely see these cars competing, let alone driven in anger. Once upon a time most people who went out to buy a GT3 intended to use it at the track. Unfortunately, nowadays most rarely see the track and if so they are so capable that they overwhelm most people at 7-8/ tenths. 

I really hope to see these cars at the track (and please say hi if your there!) but based on my experience and recent observations I’m not so sure, hence me questioning the premise of such weapons grade bits of kit. But if you’ve got the $$$ I guess why not? 

I agree that it would be mental, look forward to meeting any pilots that are willing (and able) to get the value out of it! 

On 14/12/2019 at 14:39, DJM said:

Just booked and paid for Nurburgring track day May 2020 in an M2 and a taxi lap in the Apex GT2 RS MR, the fastest ring taxi of them all.  See below, there is another video on their channel explaining the mods including those rear wheel discs.  Hopefully I get some brave pills for Xmas......😁

Also booked spa 991 GT3 drive a few days later plus a couple of taxi laps in a 991 GT3 RS.  Will be good to compare the pair!

oh and booked a Taycan factory tour đŸ‘ŒđŸ»

sounds like a tough year headed your way :)

48 minutes ago, hugh said:

I’ve got not doubt that the Manthey product is fantastic. My comment was rather questioning the need for it on such a highly capable car, especially here in Aus given the limited tracks where you explore the extent of its potential. 

In the last few years of my varied Motorsport adventures I rarely see these cars competing, let alone driven in anger. Once upon a time most people who went out to buy a GT3 intended to use it at the track. Unfortunately, nowadays most rarely see the track and if so they are so capable that they overwhelm most people at 7-8/ tenths. 

I really hope to see these cars at the track (and please say hi if your there!) but based on my experience and recent observations I’m not so sure, hence me questioning the premise of such weapons grade bits of kit. But if you’ve got the $$$ I guess why not? 

I agree that it would be mental, look forward to meeting any pilots that are willing (and able) to get the value out of it! 

Given Tailem Bend was just awarded best motorsport facility on the planet following on from circuits like Donington in the UK and the Le Mans circuit in France, I’d suggest we have the perfect track for the 2RS MR in Australia.

While I don’t doubt your varied motorsport adventures, don’t see = doesn’t exist is a bit disingenuous. The biggest gathering of 2RS on the planet was at Tailem Bend last year.  Owners of these cars don’t necessarily mix in conventional circles but opt for private hire days or events which are not open to the public.  

And when these guys do turn up to more open to public events, maybe say hi to them? As guys noted there were quite a few current GT cars at PI drive-events a few weeks back, last PCV at PI had a group with more than a few 991 RS and Evolve has a regular bunch of 991 3RS guys going now. Like any track heads, these guys look for mods and surely want to get value out of them

I heard there are a few 2RS in Sydney that run in the PCNSW events.  I also heard that they were struggling to get lap times any better than the GT3 guys albeit I heard that a while ago.  To me, that's good - who wants a car you can master straight up.  YouTube shows a GT2 is faster so the challenge is to learn how to drive it fast and then, as you master it, bolt on the MR bits and go faster again.

like @hugh I'm yet to see a 2RS at a track day but I suspect any that are used for that purpose will be at PCV events.  Having spent $800k you want to play with friends not get harassed by old shitters like mine 😂

8 hours ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

sounds like a tough year headed your way :)

You only live once.  Taking my brother over, we've shared a passion for cars since childhood.  I've been lucky enough to go on a couple of supplier funded work junkets to Germany in recent years where we've taken an extra week and packed in Motorsport stuff.

My bro' has been to Europe once when we were kids in 1985.  So I'm looking forward to ticking off some bucket list adventures and creating lots of great memories together:

- we start with the giant Eurocucina kitchen show in Milan (ahem, the "work" bit)

- Lake Como

- a few Nazi sights in Germany and Austria -  Eagles nest, Dachau etc

- into Switzerland for Gotthard, Susten and Furka passes as well as downhill mountain biking, trekking and downhill go karts

- Porsche and Mercedes museums, Taycan factory tour

- Sinsheim museums

- autobahn blasting

- finishing off with the track stuff at Ring and Spa

I've pretty much booked it all up, now just need the weather to play balL.

Back on topic, perhaps I'll hunt down the Manthey Racing shop in nearby Meuspath.  Bring home the bits then find a 3RS to bolt them onto......after riding in 2RS and 3RS I assume 3RS is the one I will lust after.

44 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

So just a small handful then 😁

Hmmm... 700hp through the rear wheels at Tailem Bend? and looks like it rained on at least one of the days too... “just a small handful” might not quite fully describe this one! 😆

Unless you're Jim Richards I doubt you have the skills to extract the Manthey Racing premium from what is already a sensational & extremely fast car. I don't begrudge the wealthy few spending their hard earned on $128,000 worth of upgrades but can't help but feel it's an answer to a question no one asked....not doubting they are awesome, not doubting the quality, not doubting the buyers right to choose, I'm simply doubting their usefulness for the majority of people who will buy them. It reminds me of an overweight friend of mine who announced he was buying a carbon fibre racing bike worth more than a new Hyundai because it was 2kg lighter than his existing bike ? 

I think I'm jealous....ha ha

43 at the event, that is insane!

It shows how the 991 cars were never in "limited volume" like its been made out... and don't get me wrong, it takes nothing away from the fact they are an amazing machine, and I will still buy one (gt3rs) in the future! 

Also perhaps a reasonable indicator its not all doom & gloom in the economy.