Manthey Racing Australia Launch

1 hour ago, edgy said:

43 at the event, that is insane!

It shows how the 991 cars were never in "limited volume" like its been made out... and don't get me wrong, it takes nothing away from the fact they are an amazing machine, and I will still buy one (gt3rs) in the future! 

Also perhaps a reasonable indicator its not all doom & gloom in the economy. 

Oh there's definitely pockets of very large wealth happening and good on them for spending some of it.

I was there on Thursday night and also at a separate private dinner night with Michael and Oliver from MR. Just the eight of us all friends and two of them. Michael has quite wicket sense of humor, both very approachable and easy to talk to.

On 15/12/2019 at 07:59, hugh said:

I’m still trying to work out at what point is a stock GT2 RS not fast enough? 

I’m thinking the market for these upgrades are people who are happy to pay anything in order to buy a few seconds on track as opposed to investing more time learning how to drive faster? Especially when they are getting schooled by a plucky red rotary! 

But whats to work out if your laps don't involve corners and what if  faster costs comparatively bugger all and can perhaps deliver improved  throttle response across some of the rev range to your liking.

Sighted this example in the flesh last week. ( refer to snap).  Had laneway presence for sure. In terms of working out what point is fast enough, I reckon to answer that question need to look  at what lens are  you are seeing the car through.  Your likely  thinking  how would that yellow beast corner around a track.  I'm thinking how brutal are pdk up shifts at WOT and full boost in each gear in terms of pinning you in the seat.

Perhaps  some  boost  junkies  with a gt2rs with also  like  to drive  purely  in straight lines at WOT for more than 10 secs  for something different and like to see data snapshots of their straight line WOT efforts. If I had a gt2 rs,  I'm thinking something involving a helmet that rates would be  an  extended long weekend Alpine cruise from say  Melboune to Sydney with some helmet usage in the middle of that cruise via a detour through  the snowy mountains and a few runs in the snowy 1000.  

I'm not convinced the factory boost of  22.5psi is going to get the job done after one run ( some v max's in shitters are north of 300km /hr and perhaps a bit of extra braking assistance in the form of  parachutes to slow them up) . For a relatively small outlay  compared to the cost of the car,  for that specific extended weekend cruise would you not dip your toe in the water prior to the event and for a compatatively measley usd $2500 headline cost, invest in a cobb assesport to test out assertions of circa 18%/ 14% extra  peak hp /tq from the preloaded OTS 93 (98 ron ) tune. In terms of dollar cost averaging, may as well at the same time pay a couple of grand for a  cobb custom 100 octane tune to be loaded on the assessport as well ( do some logs at a track to dial in the tune) with ideally a shift to the left and up  in terms of area under a factory  hp/tq gt2 curve for the big day.  If your into headline numbers along  with butt dyno experience, i'm thinking three runs ideally assuming you can sort your fuel out.   Stock factory  tune on 98 Ron and see where the stock  circa 22.5 psi gets you. ( disappointed /embarassed?)  OTS   stage 2 tune  on 98 Ron with some timing and probably a bit of boost dialed up. ( did you waste your money? )    Then 100 % octane run with more boost and timing  and compare the numbers (hopefully respectable?) .  Can compare results against tunes and other entrants.   All the tunes are switchable with bugger all effort and no laptop in sight. Fueling  perhaps a bigger issue.   

May get shown up by lesser cars( old shitters as referenced by others)  but wouldn't phase me, as not convinced many of those lesser cars that put up better numbers will be used to drive into Sydney the next day with a factory tune loaded.

In terms of bang for buck, what would  you get from Manthrey for Usd $2.5k. (Circa 15% upper in peak hp/ tq ?)  That cobb accessport can double up as extra digital gauges as well or record some  run data on the day if you can be stuffed reading the instructions beyond how to load tunes.  My gut feel would be even on a track, the Ots tune,, could  give you a better throttle response feel across the rev range.  

@mr901.  Wouldn't the potential of  an extra 15% hp/tq in this case be a cheap solution to maintain overall power to weight if your overweight friend jumped in one for a run. I.e two sides to the numerator and denominator equation in  terms of power to weight ratio.    Most focus  on the denominator as  reduction of weight is generally cheaper than extra horse power. Me thinks for a  gt2rs,  from a practical perspective,  just  leave the air guns, wrenches  and sockets in the toolbox and just dial up the timing and boost via the push of a few buttons for not a huge outlay and no need to touch a nut on the car.

20191213_154745.jpg

On 15/12/2019 at 10:59, hugh said:

I’m still trying to work out at what point is a stock GT2 RS not fast enough? 

I’m thinking the market for these upgrades are people who are happy to pay anything in order to buy a few seconds on track as opposed to investing more time learning how to drive faster? Especially when they are getting schooled by a plucky red rotary! 

For sure.  My 6.49 at the “Ring was plenty for me.  I had a 8 in me but I stuffed the pressures.  Also got baulked 15km into the run.  Sucks. Hard. 

10 hours ago, DJM said:

If I could afford to punt $900k round a track I’d be all over it.  I wonder if they have a GT3 sound actuator option for GT2 best of both worlds.

They sound just fine.  It fades into the background as you’re hanging for for dear life as it projects you into next week.

The MR gear is the ducks gonads.  Porsche asked them to do it and they did.  So, quality and outcome, no question.

The truth is that other than a pro, no one who got these mods done would know the difference.  

Stock and still no one other than a pro would get close to the cars potential. 

There is one basic reason.  None of us are good enough to get to let alone control these types of cars at the limit.  

My maths is crap but I think the mods are equal to around 2/10’s per km on the ‘Ring.  In race car terms, worth it.  

For a mug punter like me, probably not.  

But then again, if you’ve got the freight, why not?

Its all relative though isn’t it.  I’m sure that there are plenty here who have a $75,000 911 of some flavor or another.  Bet you’ve maybe thought about or actually done some mods right?  Maybe a steering wheel, brake pad upgrade, Bilsteins, whale tail in place of the stock lid, fruity exhaust.  And your mate comes around and says to you, “why did you do that, the car was great stock?”

If you’re being honest, your answer will come from the same place as the person who decides to spend their hard earned on the MR gear.

8 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

The MR gear is the ducks gonads.  Porsche asked them to do it and they did.  So, quality and outcome, no question.

The truth is that other than a pro, no one who got these mods done would know the difference.  

Stock and still no one other than a pro would get close to the cars potential. 

There is one basic reason.  None of us are good enough to get to let alone control these types of cars at the limit.  

My maths is crap but I think the mods are equal to around 2/10’s per km on the ‘Ring.  In race car terms, worth it.  

For a mug punter like me, probably not.  

But then again, if you’ve got the freight, why not?

Its all relative though isn’t it.  I’m sure that there are plenty here who have a $75,000 911 of some flavor or another.  Bet you’ve maybe thought about or actually done some mods right?  Maybe a steering wheel, brake pad upgrade, Bilsteins, whale tail in place of the stock lid, fruity exhaust.  And your mate comes around and says to you, “why did you do that, the car was great stock?”

If you’re being honest, your answer will come from the same place as the person who decides to spend their hard earned on the MR gear.

So, just wondering, anyone here drive a stock car on track and with Manthey bits? The truth is, someone needs to drive both to know whether the difference is discernible.  Anyone here?

Speaking to someone who already upgraded their brakes with Manthey Racing bits, the improvement from OEM was real.  Verified by another test pilot who drive the car.

Speaking to another owner who has the tires from the Manthey package and the improvement was real. Huge. Again, verified by recorded lap times.

But I do enjoy the arm chair commentary 🍿 🍿 

1 hour ago, vin said:

So, just wondering, anyone here drive a stock car on track and with Manthey bits? The truth is, someone needs to drive both to know whether the difference is discernible.  Anyone here?

Speaking to someone who already upgraded their brakes with Manthey Racing bits, the improvement from OEM was real.  Verified by another test pilot who drive the car.

Speaking to another owner who has the tires from the Manthey package and the improvement was real. Huge. Again, verified by recorded lap times.

But I do enjoy the arm chair commentary 🍿 🍿 

I'm willing to take one for the team and drive both a stock GT2 RS and an enhanced one back to back for a comparison. :)

Considering you are such an advocate for the package @vin I'm assuming you have purchased or are thinking of purchasing? 

10 hours ago, hugh said:

I'm willing to take one for the team and drive both a stock GT2 RS and an enhanced one back to back for a comparison. :)

Considering you are such an advocate for the package @vin I'm assuming you have purchased or are thinking of purchasing? 

lol... here is one chap who has driven both stock and MR...

dunno if I am an advocate as much as someone sifting thru posts for experience on point. after watching Chris Harris, I reckon it’s pretty hard for any 9x1 GT car owner not to think of purchasing...

On 18/12/2019 at 19:30, vin said:

lol... here is one chap who has driven both stock and MR...

dunno if I am an advocate as much as someone sifting thru posts for experience on point. after watching Chris Harris, I reckon it’s pretty hard for any 9x1 GT car owner not to think of purchasing...

Think I’ll shave my head.  Clearly that’s what you need to be fast and famous.  

• 2 weeks later...