Vibrations above 110kph

reggiegums

My 993 develops a nasty vibration when the speed goes past say 110kph. The vibration seems to come through the rear and the gearbox. The steering is fine.

Swapped out the wheels and the vibrations is still there. Running PSS10s and bushings seem good.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks fellas. I swapped out my wheels from my other 993, balanced and new tyres. very minor difference.

The vibration seems to come from the rear. almost no vibrations through the steering wheel.

Looking online, it may be the dual mass flywheel and maybe crankshaft also. Sounds expensive.

2 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

But if the vibration is road speed sensitive (110 km / hr) as you say, then engine speed is not the problem.

If the vibration occurs @ a certain rpm in any gear, then the problem would probably within the engine / transmission itself.

Very good point. Thanks you.

2 hours ago, Merv said:

Transmission mounts tight and functional?

Will check

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Have you checked the tightness of the driveshaft bolts? They are renowned for loosening over time...

Will check

Forgot to mention that its a turbo thats been modified to run only RWD. I appreciate the suggestions very much.

The mechanic is running the car on a rolling dyno today so will hopefully we can rule out several possibilities and narrow it down.

Thanks for all the feedback. The mounts and suspension had all been done recently by the previous owner.

Mechanic put the car on a rolling dyno and it was the drive-train. Turns out that when disconnecting the front wheel drive, the previous owner simply detached the front diff and axel and placed a cover. The drive shaft was spinning freely and wobbling around at higher speed. My mechanic simply disconnected the driveshaft from the rear and problem solved. case closed.

Thank you all.