Your modern is hacking & tracking you

tazzieman

In 2012 I purchased a Bmw r1200s a very high tech motorcycle with a 2y warranty. So it was serviced by Bmw and it also had a run in chip fitted the dealer hooks it up to a computer and the info was sent back to Germany also the bike could receive updated tuning maps from the factory. As far as I know that info was used if ever there was a warranty claim eg motor abused or overeved on downshifts etc.

There was a doco on SBS a while ago called Robots for love and war and what there working on(save money on cops and soldiers) is pretty scarey and all this data collected and stored is going to be used against us eg facebook posts etc and facial recognition used to locate us in a rally or protest and the info sent to AI robot and it decides what action to take.    

3 hours ago, dobbo said:

In 2012 I purchased a Bmw r1200s a very high tech motorcycle with a 2y warranty. So it was serviced by Bmw and it also had a run in chip fitted the dealer hooks it up to a computer and the info was sent back to Germany also the bike could receive updated tuning maps from the factory. As far as I know that info was used if ever there was a warranty claim eg motor abused or overeved on downshifts etc.

There was a doco on SBS a while ago called Robots for love and war and what there working on(save money on cops and soldiers) is pretty scarey and all this data collected and stored is going to be used against us eg facebook posts etc and facial recognition used to locate us in a rally or protest and the info sent to AI robot and it decides what action to take.    

I know its just a movie but it makes you wonder about all this .............??

64907b120ca3419c959b6e6f061e91be.jpg

All modern cars have the data.  The most likely place it will get used is in an insurance claim.  There is already plenty of cases where car data has been used to deny claims.

i wouldn't worry about your car when you have a data gathering computer in your pocket that knows where you go, how fast you go, who you talk to, who lives wit you, what you like, what you buy, what time you go to sleep and wake up, etcetera.

Apple has a much better track record than google in turning over data but neither is very good in this regard.

Groups like the EFF have been drowned out by all the folks who are super excited about the ability to spy on whomever they like whenever they like.  Try watching a 90s era movie like 'hackers' and compare it to today to see how far things have shifted.  Back then it was about handles and anonymity and evading surveillance.  Now it's about handing over as much data as possible.  I'm as bad as anyone for giving up data voluntarily for an electronic pat on the head.

Remember if you didn't pay for it you're the product.

Just bought some gear at a clothing shop, and they wanted my phone number for a digital receipt. I said no coz I don't trust it, and he says he wouldn't either, as they do track what you buy, where you shop and how much you pay, then email/text you deals on certain style clothing I may like AND pass on your number to their subsidiary companies. Talk about invasion of privacy! 

16 hours ago, LeeM said:

Just bought some gear at a clothing shop, and they wanted my phone number for a digital receipt. I said no coz I don't trust it, and he says he wouldn't either, as they do track what you buy, where you shop and how much you pay, then email/text you deals on certain style clothing I may like AND pass on your number to their subsidiary companies. Talk about invasion of privacy! 

Unless you paid cash and wore a face mask and visited a store you've never been to they know who you are anyway.

i agree on not giving your number or email to avoid marketing spam.  Or just give them a fake email or number