Feedback regarding potential 997C2S purchase

Dealers pay more for listing on carsales (and also pay per click/enquiry I believe) so the dodgy ones will try & list as a private sale to save a little.  As others have said, doesn't mean the car is rubbish but not a great start in terms of trust.

53 minutes ago, Lesthecarnut said:

So I’ve been messaging the private seller using the CarSales app who replied to say that he/she would call me yesterday but that did not occur.

This morning I received the following text message:

I received a text from a guy named Stefan (not the owner) regarding the 997:
“G’day Les,

This is stefan. Dr P______ and his assistant Ben as asked me to reach out regarding the porsche. I am car dealer based in Sydney and privately showing his car to potential buyers. 

I believe you are oversea and returning on the 10th?”

My alarm bells are going off as it is listed as a private sale and I have already “shown my hand“ in terms of a maximum offer on the app’s messaging function. The whole time I was messaging “Ben” on the Carsales app. According to the text message above, he/she is not even the owner and is the “assistant”. How is a dealer “privately showing” the car? 

My first instinct is to walk away. Thoughts?

Do you want the car?

Ask him for his licence number and details,do some research. If it checks out get a ppi done.

I would use a dealer if I was too busy to fend off dickheads.

So lets say the mesage is correct from the dealer.

Are you saying the Doctor and his assistant Ben are dodgy because they can't or don't want to deal with dickheads and have now handed the car to a dealer to privately show the vehicle?

As long as the price is the same and car is legit I don't see a problem.

Do your due diligence.

What’s the problem? A dealer has more to loose than some back yard thief by trying to pull some dodgy deal , plus they’ve declared that they are showing the car on behalf of the owner, which is probably due to the time wasters he’s now sick of dealing with. Everything is out in the open and the dealer has no emotional attachment to the car and will be the  go between to the owner and can probably talk some sense into selling the car if there’s a reasonable offer on the table. Don’t think there’s an issue if the car checks out ok. 

Spoke to Stefan at length today. He is the owner’s family friend that is helping him sell it privately. He happens to work at a dealership but it is not involved.

PPI is happening at Autohaus Hamilton in Thursday. Pending a report with no major issues, I will fly in on the weekend to drive it, sign transfer and arrange shipping. 

So Autohaus quoted $695 for a PPI plus $495 for a compression and leak down test so $1,190 total. 

Porsche Centre South Sydney wanted $495 for a PPI or $795 total with the compression and leak down test. 

I thought official marque dealerships were stereotypically meant to be more expensive while using apprentices to do things? 😝 😬

Car is getting picked up today or tomorrow by a tilt tray heading to Autohaus Hamilton. They are the ones able to do it this week. 👍 

Hi Les

Good luck with the PPI. I'm assuming you haven't been able to actually view the car so make sure you understand what you're getting. The fact the Ad doesn't mention that's its an import or that it's had some performance upgrades bothers me. It's had the exhaust and intake done plus I'm assuming a tune by EVOMS. Suspension has also been done but no mention of what. Could be rock hard coilovers or might just me a spring upgrade. If that's what you're after then great but if you're after something stock, tread carefully. Autohaus Hamilton will be able to advise to a point.

52 minutes ago, Simonk said:

Hi Les

Good luck with the PPI. I'm assuming you haven't been able to actually view the car so make sure you understand what you're getting. The fact the Ad doesn't mention that's its an import or that it's had some performance upgrades bothers me. It's had the exhaust and intake done plus I'm assuming a tune by EVOMS. Suspension has also been done but no mention of what. Could be rock hard coilovers or might just me a spring upgrade. If that's what you're after then great but if you're after something stock, tread carefully. Autohaus Hamilton will be able to advise to a point.

Nothing wrong with those tweaks if your not into just polishing.  But you make a good point on the coilovers (  but would you cheap out on a set of coilovers with no dampening adjustibility?) 

@Leshe car nut.  Just out of interest when were the spark plugs done last. I would of thought if your going to drop that coin on a compression and leak test, if not done recently, may as well throw a new set of spark  plugs in the car when they bolt it all back up (perhaps haggle on who pays for them if you don't end up buying it in advance) .

PS, reckon the quote from the dealer does indeed have the apprentice working on that.  More hours perhaps but no discount on the hourly rate? 

30 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

Nothing wrong with those tweaks if your not into just polishing.  But you make a good point on the coilovers (  but would you cheap out on a set of coilovers with no dampening adjustibility?) 

@Leshe car nut.  Just out of interest when were the spark plugs done last. I would of thought if your going to drop that coin on a compression and leak test, if not done recently, may as well throw a new set of spark  plugs in the car when they bolt it all back up (perhaps haggle on who pays for them if you don't end up buying it in advance) .

PS, reckon the quote from the dealer does indeed have the apprentice working on that.  More hours perhaps but no discount on the hourly rate? 

Nothing wrong with those mods at all, in fact, the only thing missing on my 997 is the tune. I don't know how knowledgeable Les is though and if he's just chasing a bog stock car and doesn't know what he's looking at in the pictures, there's no mention of mods in the ad other than "suspension upgrade", and he's not even dealing with the owner, then...

2 hours ago, Lesthecarnut said:

So Autohaus quoted $695 for a PPI plus $495 for a compression and leak down test so $1,190 total. 

Porsche Centre South Sydney wanted $495 for a PPI or $795 total with the compression and leak down test. 

I thought official marque dealerships were stereotypically meant to be more expensive while using apprentices to do things? 😝 😬

Car is getting picked up today or tomorrow by a tilt tray heading to Autohaus Hamilton. They are the ones able to do it this week. 👍 

I can tell you PCSS will be thorough, (useless information if this car works out for you via AH) however if you end up needing another car looked at, definitely consider them.. and never be shy to put it to PFA to go look at cars (I've done it many times for members).

One thing I think you need to have clarified is what odometer unit of measure is, because I am of the understanding the total miles travelled will be exactly that, miles, not KM... although you can toggle the UoM in the digital readout/trip meter, this car you are looking at still has its MPH speedometer... and 74,000 miles = 118,000 kms (you earlier stated looking for sub 100k cars) 

Good luck with it!! 

15 hours ago, P-Kay said:

Good luck mate! 

How is the sleep going? :ph34r:

Thanks and sleep has not been great. 😉

15 hours ago, Simonk said:

Hi Les

I hear you especially as the advert seemed to put together by a non-car guy. That is why I will still fly down to view and drive the car this weekend if the PPI does not detect any major issues. 

I did ask Chris at AH to identify any aftermarket parts for me so I can only wait for the report. As long as they are of a high quality then I have no issues with a non-stock car. 

14 hours ago, smit2100 said:

Until Chris at AH identifies what suspension is on the car, we are just speculating. 

I will mention the spark plugs to Stefan as he did mention that he wanted to get the 12 month interval service done at the same time. 

Roger that about dealership PPI price. 

13 hours ago, Simonk said:

Nothing wrong with those mods at all, in fact, the only thing missing on my 997 is the tune. I don't know how knowledgeable Les is though and if he's just chasing a bog stock car and doesn't know what he's looking at in the pictures, there's no mention of mods in the ad other than "suspension upgrade", and he's not even dealing with the owner, then...

Again, not worried about a stock car as long as done appropriately with quality parts. 

I am actually concerned about not dealing or even speaking with the owner. All that has been said to me was that he is “time-poor”. 

When I mentioned that the Carsales Vehicle History Report stated there was finance owing, Stefan sent me a PPSR to prove that Carsales was incorrect. One side of my brain says that is sufficient while the other says “red flag” ...

13 hours ago, edgy said:

I can tell you PCSS will be thorough, (useless information if this car works out for you via AH) however if you end up needing another car looked at, definitely consider them.. and never be shy to put it to PFA to go look at cars (I've done it many times for members).

One thing I think you need to have clarified is what odometer unit of measure is, because I am of the understanding the total miles travelled will be exactly that, miles, not KM... although you can toggle the UoM in the digital readout/trip meter, this car you are looking at still has its MPH speedometer... and 74,000 miles = 118,000 kms (you earlier stated looking for sub 100k cars) 

Good luck with it!! 

If there any PFA members who are willing to help me out and to pop by Autohaus Hamilton in Chatswood to have a look at the car and give me their frank opinion, please PM me. Thanks in advance.

I have also listed my concern about the odometer reading in miles or kilometres to Chris at AH so I’m sure he will let me know. 

12 hours ago, JB said:

Buy mine.....:🤓

12 hours ago, Simonk said:

Hell yes!!! Buy his!!!! You won't find a better one in Aus!!!

Link to advert, please. Thank you. 🙏

On 06/01/2020 at 11:39, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

Dealers pay more for listing on carsales (and also pay per click/enquiry I believe) so the dodgy ones will try & list as a private sale to save a little.  As others have said, doesn't mean the car is rubbish but not a great start in terms of trust.

If he is going to skimp on the ad, I'd be super suspicious about what else he / they are skimping on

After reviewing the PPI and photos from Autohaus, I have contacted the seller’s proxy to thank him and let him know that I will not be buying the car.

PM me if you wish to know more. 

Maybe it is a sign to save more money for a GT3 but either way, the search continues. 🤪

5 minutes ago, Lesthecarnut said:

After reviewing the PPI and photos from Autohaus, I have contacted the seller’s proxy to thank him and let him know that I will not be buying the car.

PM me if you wish to know more. 

Maybe it is a sign to save more money for a GT3 but either way, the search continues. 🤪

Pity but it's all part of the game buying a good Pcar. Sometimes it's a bit of a wild goose chase and other times it's a seamless process. If it was me I'd be opening the wallet another 20k or whatever the figure and buying JB's 4S - it's an absolute pearler!

55 minutes ago, Lesthecarnut said:

Maybe it is a sign to save more money for a GT3 but either way, the search continues. 

Sorry to hear it, as the saying goes, you gotta slay the pig to get the bacon... it is just really frustrating when sellers misrepresent what they have or are deluded about it... we've all been there! 

Big $$ up to a GT3... you can definitely secure a good 997.1 Manual S sub $100k, don't give up!