For Sales : 550 Spyder with full Vic rego

Decided to sell one of my 550s

Its a Beck with a 1916 dual Webers reco'd engine

Has the wet weather gear with it, soft top and side curtains

Asking price will include Victorian RWC so it will be ready for club rego. Otherwise negotiable

Any questions, please ask

PS I lowered the rear since taking the pics

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1955-porsche-550-manual/SSE-AD-6493846/?Cr=1

Rafikdous has an amazing 'quiver' of P Cars that would be the envy of most people.

I had a McRae 550 Spyder in NZ for 4-5 years (McRae was a f1/f5000 guy who sold his race car manufacturing in the UK to Penske as the basis of their Indycar team). He built 39 almost exact replicas in the 1990's.

some things to consider

- even the worst replica is still a thing of beauty and über cool 

- at coffe shops people trample over GT3 and Lamborghini owners just to take a look, 100% chance of being the coolest cat there

- the better the replica / recreation = the more faithful it is to the original = this is 1953 technology and chassis development. The can get quite hairy quite quick as they are a very primitive ladder chassis. They make a g series Porsche 911 feel like a sophisticated modern car

- no reason to be scared of owning one as the parts are generally Porsche 914 or VW grafts, plenty of supply and most VW shops can handle any issues. 

- a professionally built one will (most likely) be better built than one built in a shed. Beck and the professional builders figure out pretty quickly what works and what doesn't and less things just fall off unexpectedly

while I am a purest, I actually rate the 550s built for a short time in NSW, bodies made in Brazil from memory but powered by the Subaru 120kw boxer 4 cylinder, has all the looks of the classic but fuel injected start first time reliability and modern synchro 5 speed box.

Having seen one of Rafs 356's I would say if you are after a purist 550 Spyder, his would be a great one to look into as he has good gear and looks after it.

On 23/01/2020 at 17:03, NevB said:

Interesting! 

How many 550's do you have?. 

Three

the story goes like this

Years ago I bought a project McRae from a Kiwi bloke relocated to Sydney, started restoring the car. Got divorced, sold the 550 to me and went back to Auckland

the car has a brand new chassis, 914 running gear and 914 suspension. It’s black and needs the wiring and interior done

then last year a mate of mine & I went to LA for the Porsche weekend. Ended up getting caught in the hype and we bought two Becks. The one here for sale and another which is getting a full Resto and near completion 

so too much money owed to the bank and two too many 550s

we are trying to move any two of them

this one here for low $60s

the McRae for $38k

the other Beck once finished for $75k full restored

all of the cars are LHD

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Love the car.  And it has the correct engine too apparently. These are simple cars to work on and no fears in that regard.   I made some enquiries about a Beck a while ago and I was told it would need a new engineer's certification for this State. That could be tricky but I did get a Cobra registered here in the past (not an easy process).  Does anyone know if an engineering cert is transferrable between States?

45 minutes ago, Merv said:

Does anyone know if an engineering cert is transferrable between States?

NSW demands a NSW accredited engineer...  I've been following some of the ICV/Clubman forums and it's nearly impossible to bring an 'out of state' engineered car into NSW without re-engineering.  It explains why NSW registered ICVs are up to 30% more expensive to buy than in other states (the hard work is done).  Raf's 550 registered in NSW would be $90k here.

12 hours ago, Merv said:

“ I made some enquiries about a Beck a while ago and I was told it would need a new engineer's certification for this State. That could be tricky...”

12 hours ago, Merv said:

“I made some enquiries about a Beck a while ago and I was told it would need a new engineer's certification for this State. That could be tricky...”

Very cool car!

Makes it challenging buying a reproduction as when it comes time to sell again, it may, or well require a new engineering certificate if selling inter state. The likelihood of state based regulations changing is another issue. 

Has anyone had recent experience with this. What kind of costs are we looking at for inter state re engineering certificates?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...