Jump to content
turboT

FIRE RELIEF RUN

Recommended Posts

As we all know the world has been on fire and many are in a pretty shit state at the moment. Governments talk of billions in support but reality is there are many living in tents with no water. Got me thinking what could we do about this.

I am thinking of organising a drive with the key objectives of:

  • 2 day/1night drive
  • leave in three weeks
  • Meet up somewhere equal distance Melbourne/Sydney so more can join
  • giving locals a break from the crap they are dealing with on a daily basis and see something new - want to keep this as not 'flashy' as we can however
  • we fill the cars with stuff to donate - i will have a comprehensive list of what they actually need 
  • spend money - we target towns/individuals in need and look to book accommodation and eat/buy where it is needed most 
  • there is also a fund we are collecting towards on go fund me - 'fire relief run' which is looking at more long term solution. 

I have a good contact in a mate Oli Coulthard (also a great photographer) - at 23 he has already done an amazing job organising relief runs into towns - follow on Instagram - 'fire relief run'. he will be able to let us know exactly where to go and who will appreciate a visit. He can also record the trip so all will have some great shots of their cars as a bonus.

thoughts?

Anyone interested?

Let me know

tom

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, itsujack said:

I'm in Tom... with roof rack equipped 964.

Route sorted with Oli. Will pull something together a bit more official looking in the next few days. Keeping it to places he is familiar with so we can be more effective. Likely some great roads and just as likely devastating scenery. 
 

Was thinking we have 100% ‘tip policy.’ 
essentially pay double for everything we buy. More ‘great’ ideas to follow 😉

 

Anyone have a roof rack for a 912/early 911?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/11854814

one of the places we will be visiting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice idea. 

Every year a couple of mates and I do an A.U day long weekend ride on our adventure bikes. This year we are doing pretty much what you're doing but in the north. We are staying in local pubs rather than swags etc. Putting money back into the places that are doing it hard. Might I put forward you buy things as close as you can to the towns in need. Or buy it in the towns and donate it back to the town. 

Put a fold up table on your 911 roof rack. Go to the local shops buy things put them on the table with a free sign. Just an idea. 

We are also taking some fruit and veg to leave in the forrests we spend so much time in. A bag or two of carrots in the bush you drive past will help. Just place them off the side of the road...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Uncle said:

Nice idea. 

Every year a couple of mates and I do an A.U day long weekend ride on our adventure bikes. This year we are doing pretty much what you're doing but in the north. We are staying in local pubs rather than swags etc. Putting money back into the places that are doing it hard. Might I put forward you buy things as close as you can to the towns in need. Or buy it in the towns and donate it back to the town. 

Put a fold up table on your 911 roof rack. Go to the local shops buy things put them on the table with a free sign. Just an idea. 

We are also taking some fruit and veg to leave in the forrests we spend so much time in. A bag or two of carrots in the bush you drive past will help. Just place them off the side of the road...

Totally understand. The plan is basically to buy as we go in each town, but just bring in things we know they don't have. Along the way  we also hope to organise a few 'shout the locals' events where we invite anyone interested to a local pub and buy them dinner and a beer - hopefully we can get some local firees along

Speaking to my mate Oli, who has now done a few runs he mentioned several times that many people just need someone to talk to as they don't like to burden  people they know. One incident in a pub a guy was telling Oli about how he had lost everything - house gone.  Another guy came up behind him, punched him in the shoulder and said "why the fuck didn't you tell me!?" - turns out it was his best mate... - tough...

Stories of orphanages being burnt down, single mother with a baby sleeping in a car... 

I think we're going to learn alot about how tough it really is out there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/01/2020 at 14:56, turboT said:

As we all know the world has been on fire and many are in a pretty shit state at the moment. Governments talk of billions in support but reality is there are many living in tents with no water. Got me thinking what could we do about this.

I am thinking of organising a drive with the key objectives of:

  • 2 day/1night drive
  • leave in three weeks
  • Meet up somewhere equal distance Melbourne/Sydney so more can join
  • giving locals a break from the crap they are dealing with on a daily basis and see something new - want to keep this as not 'flashy' as we can however
  • we fill the cars with stuff to donate - i will have a comprehensive list of what they actually need 
  • spend money - we target towns/individuals in need and look to book accommodation and eat/buy where it is needed most 
  • there is also a fund we are collecting towards on go fund me - 'fire relief run' which is looking at more long term solution. 

I have a good contact in a mate Oli Coulthard (also a great photographer) - at 23 he has already done an amazing job organising relief runs into towns - follow on Instagram - 'fire relief run'. he will be able to let us know exactly where to go and who will appreciate a visit. He can also record the trip so all will have some great shots of their cars as a bonus.

thoughts?

Anyone interested?

Let me know

tom

 

Hi Tom,

You know I don’t have a vintage Porsche so am I excluded?  Otherwise I’m in.
Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/01/2020 at 22:04, turboT said:

Route sorted with Oli. Will pull something together a bit more official looking in the next few days. Keeping it to places he is familiar with so we can be more effective. Likely some great roads and just as likely devastating scenery. 
 

Was thinking we have 100% ‘tip policy.’ 
essentially pay double for everything we buy. More ‘great’ ideas to follow 😉

 

Anyone have a roof rack for a 912/early 911?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/11854814

one of the places we will be visiting 

I'm in Canberra this weekend, will try and do a recce to Braidwood if I get the chance. Canberra guys might be interested in meeting us at Braidwood on 15th Feb @Tit ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m interested. Cars in the shop but hopefully back by then, if not I might try and ride shotgun with someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GC9911 said:

Hi Tom,

You know I don’t have a vintage Porsche so am I excluded?  Otherwise I’m in.
Greg

No exclusions mate. Would love to see you there 👌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good response so far guys  - 8 cars confirmed in the first 12 hrs. Will be looking at accommodation options over the weekend so keen to bed down numbers soon

7 hours ago, Tips said:

I’m interested. Cars in the shop but hopefully back by then, if not I might try and ride shotgun with someone.

would be good to see you and your car there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tips said:

I’m interested. Cars in the shop but hopefully back by then, if not I might try and ride shotgun with someone.

You can shotgun with me if you want. I’m leaving from Berry to meet the crew at Exeter, plenty of safe parking at my place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Gav just had confirmation car will be ready👍.

tom will confirm details over weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tips said:

Thanks Gav just had confirmation car will be ready👍.

tom will confirm details over weekend

Good to hear mate. Dates above.

so far 6 cars confirmed, 7 passengers and 4 others cars a potential 

we also have an amazing Offer from Gavin from Cliff to Coast To give away some track and hot lap sessions to someone we meet on the trip. 

im away on business all next week but will give the maybes (and anyone else interested) a bit more time before I lock in accomodation 

follow ‘Oli coulthard’ and ‘Fire relief run’ on Instagram to see what the legends have been up to and how they are using funds collected to date. 
 

we need more though so please back sure friends and family know what you are up to so that they can get involved in the gofundme page 

‘Fire relief run’

send me your number and email also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2020 at 23:02, itsujack said:

I'm in Canberra this weekend, will try and do a recce to Braidwood if I get the chance. Canberra guys might be interested in meeting us at Braidwood on 15th Feb @Tit ?

Could do - I'll put the word out.  A few of us will be scorching ourselves Bathurst this weekend.

Update: I've emailed the crew - directed them to this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/01/2020 at 19:18, Tit said:

Could do - I'll put the word out.  A few of us will be scorching ourselves Bathurst this weekend.

Update: I've emailed the crew - directed them to this thread.

12 cars signed up with nearly 20 folk coming. We leave on the 15th. First stop Exeter around 8.30am. Accomodation options also now sorted. Anyone else wanting to help just DM me

 

thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we are about a week to go before we leave. lots of amazing initiatives already underway and glad a few PFAers are joining us on the run

  • Exeter breakfast location booked in
  • lunch at Braidwood Royal Hotel were we also visit Braidwood Rural (rural farm suppliers) where we are financing free animal feed donations to locals  - farm animals and rescued animals
  • By 6 we aim to be at Cobargo where we have booked out the Cobargo Hotel and are shouting the locals. All food/drink is on us Saturday night
  • Sun morning we help prepare breakfast and buy coffees for the locals at the Cobargo Relief centre that regularly serves up to 175 people a day
  • longerterm initiatives underway design/build short term shipping container accommodation also 

always after more contributions so please visit the gofundme page - 'fire relief run'

also still room for some more runners

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea doing this run! Just wondering if the Sydney guys are returning back to Sydney on the Sunday afternoon? I'm just keen to watch you go past my place between Bomaderry and Berry. I can't join as my 69 is in pieces. I own Meroo Kennels and Cattery. Amazing that a few weeks ago I had many cancellations due to the fires, and now I've had cancellations this weekend due to the pouring rain :) Interesting weather!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Nice work to all that have organised and attending. You'll make a difference to those who have, and continue to suffer since the fires. Just a fkn shame some charities and the government hasn't had the same enthuisam as you all have. Well done 👍👏👏👏👏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, prigg said:

Great idea doing this run! Just wondering if the Sydney guys are returning back to Sydney on the Sunday afternoon? I'm just keen to watch you go past my place between Bomaderry and Berry. I can't join as my 69 is in pieces. I own Meroo Kennels and Cattery. Amazing that a few weeks ago I had many cancellations due to the fires, and now I've had cancellations this weekend due to the pouring rain :) Interesting weather!

Nerriga, Nowra, kangaroo valley and then home. We’ll be back no doubt 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't be able to make the whole trip, but I will at least meet you guys for breakfast at Berrima.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MFX said:

I won't be able to make the whole trip, but I will at least meet you guys for breakfast at Berrima.

Jeff, Exeter for breakfast 8.15am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GC9911 said:

Jeff, Exeter for breakfast 8.15am

Do you know where are you all meeting for breakfast?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MFX said:

I won't be able to make the whole trip, but I will at least meet you guys for breakfast at Berrima.

Exeter Cafe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...