Anyone been down the fitting coil over front suspension on 80s G Series Route

550Spyder

Has anyone fitted their G series 80s 911 with coil over shocks on the front? (I.e the normal shock with a spring coil helper).

-  What sort of all up cost ( based on new gear, installed and set up)?

-  while anyone can bolt them up, these cars can be a bit sensitive to weight distribution / ride height. Any acknowledged gurus on getting set up and weight distribution right?

- of those that have actually done the conversion, any lessons learned or things you would do differently next time around?

- did the coil overs actually make any objective difference to dive / inclination to rub tyre on front guard when fully loaded up on maximum attack?

1 hour ago, 550Spyder said:

Has anyone fitted their G series 80s 911 with coil over shocks on the front? (I.e the normal shock with a spring coil helper).

-  What sort of all up cost ( based on new gear, installed and set up)?

-  while anyone can bolt them up, these cars can be a bit sensitive to weight distribution / ride height. Any acknowledged gurus on getting set up and weight distribution right?

- of those that have actually done the conversion, any lessons learned or things you would do differently next time around?

- did the coil overs actually make any objective difference to dive / inclination to rub tyre on front guard when fully loaded up on maximum attack?

Hey 550.  PM me. We’ll talk.  I’ve done it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Underlying issue that triggered the initial question is (1) front shocks need a rebuild at some stage so looking at options (2) Small front tyre rub on guard.  I still need to do some diagnosis to confirm if rub is just a slow speed rub when on on full lock, or if it is a maximum attack rub under compression.

Skid has been veryhelpful sharing his coil over experience. Long story short:

- coil overs are likely overkill for road use 

- A well considered torsion bar should be able to deal with compression with the damper taking care of rebound

- potential to adjust camber to reduce the tyre rub if it is a at speed rub

I think that a shock rebuild, alignment / camber setup and look at the torsion bar should resolve matters without the cost and complexity of coil overs.

The torsion bar is your “spring”. The main magic to handling feel and compliance is in the quality of the damper which controls both compression and rebound of the “spring”. (Along with a suitable spring rate) Main advantage of coil overs is easy height adjustment. The more sophisticated may also give you separate compression and rebound damping and in some cases low and high speed compression damping. Great on a race car, But possibly overkill for the street. Although my experience has always been a high quality coil over can achieve quite a compliant ride and improve overall handling and performance. It doesn’t have to result in a stiff “sporty” feel that rattles your fillings out on the road. :) I guess there are reasons why Porsche moved on from torsion bars. 
I started out with torsion bars but went down the coil over path as the car has a track focus. It’s still a really nice thing on the road but the adjustability of the coil overs was attractive.