Porsche Air-conditioner

Paul A

I have a 1978 Porsche 911 Targa with a factory fitted air-conditioner.  It looks like a York compressor though it has a Climate Control Inc. plate on it (I believe Climate Control Inc. took York over).

However, after 40 years, the compressor is making some very bad clunking noises and I think need replacing. Does anyone know of an Australian distributor for Climate Control Inc compressors (or similar Air-con compressor capable of fitting in a confined space) or will it be a matter of looking on the second hand market?

I don't know of a domestic supplier, but Griffiths in the US has them, as well as an upgrade option, and they ship to Australia. https://griffiths.com/products/porsche/air-conditioning/911-930/compressors-kits/911-compressors-kits-1977-1989/

When I was pricing new compressors last year, either Burson or Repco was able to order the Denso compressor I needed for my '88, but it ended up being slightly cheaper to buy from Griffiths, even with shipping.

Paul,

If you are in no hurry, want to do it as cheaply as you can and not have it look like a Frankenstein, I'd keep my eye out for a second hand compressor and mount from a 3.2 as I think they would fit your engine.  The Nippon Denso 10P15C compressors are robust and only cost about 40 bucks and a few hours to put a seals kit through.  There was actually a setup for sale on Pelican a few days ago.

The only other advice I would give is plan your upgrade as completely as you can before you start as doing it piecemeal and having to degas and regas as you go gets very expensive. You're lucky that it sounds like the system works enough now that you can tell what else needs doing while you're at it. 

+1 for all the Griffith stuff too.

Many thanks for those comments, autojack and Peter M.

The Griffiths site looks promising. I also looked at the setup on Pelican Parts and saw the advertised Climate Control Inc. model, identical to the damaged.

So, that's helped me with the compressor issue. The only outstanding question is, what refrigerant was the system designed for back in 1978?

(As I believe those refrigerants are no longer available and have been replaced by newer (?eco-friendly) ones).

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

The Griffiths site looks promising. I also looked at the setup on Pelican Parts and saw the advertised Climate Control Inc. model, identical to the damaged.

So, that's helped me with the compressor issue. The only outstanding question is, what refrigerant was the system designed for back in 1978?

Griffiths set the standard for modern AC components for the Porsche DIY community. You will want to get a new receiver dryer when you replace the compressor. Your car would originally have had R12. I don't know if that is still available here, in the US my understanding was that you could still get it some places but it is not manufactured anymore.

I converted my car to R134 when I modernized my system with Griffiths components. IMO that is the way to go, but you would need to change to modern "barrier" hoses. The old hoses are permeable to R134 molecules, so if you just charge your existing system with that, it will leak out after a year or so.

If you can still get R12 here, the cheaper and simpler solution would be to just replace the compressor and dryer and recharge with R12. I would suggest emailing Charlie Griffiths to get his advice, he's happy to give it and supports what he sells.

25 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

(As I believe those refrigerants are no longer available and have been replaced by newer (?eco-friendly) ones).

Is HyChill -30 a suitable replacement gas for R12  ???? 

I wouldn't do it in a classic car. See https://griffiths.com/ac-system-help-introduction/r134a-vs-r12/

25 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

Is HyChill -30 a suitable replacement gas for R12  ???? 

Paul, if you're near Melbourne and it want to meet up, I'm happy to show you my Griffiths system and answer any questions that I can.

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

….I also looked at the setup on Pelican Parts and saw the advertised Climate Control Inc. model, identical to the damaged.

I was actually thinking 3.2 Nippon Denso with mount here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/1049893-parting-out-1969-912-1985-911-euro-carrera.html

You'd have to have a pretty compelling reason to continue with the Climate Control/York type I suggest.

As for gas, your choice is Hychill or R134a.  However most commercial places only do R134a.

If you go 134a, don't forget the trinary safety switch upgrade.

Next time I do a hose upgrade I'm not going to buy pre-made sets.  I'll buy a hydraulic crimper off eBay for about 160 bucks and buy the hose and fittings from the local hydraulic hose service centre and make my own.  Figure on $20/m for hose and 20 bucks a fitting if you DIY.

There are few good AC threads on this forum that are worth a look too. 

Hi,

I fitted an a/c to my '77 Targa with a kit I got from Scott Lang at Autohaus Hamilton a while back. They are in Eastern valley Way Chatswood.

Not sure of the brand now, but it works very well. Not sure if they still sell the kit, but give them a call. 02 9417 0911.

Ciao 4 nao,

Dino.

On 26/01/2020 at 10:36, Peter M said:

Paul,

If you are in no hurry, want to do it as cheaply as you can and not have it look like a Frankenstein, I'd keep my eye out for a second hand compressor and mount from a 3.2 as I think they would fit your engine.  The Nippon Denso 10P15C compressors are robust and only cost about 40 bucks and a few hours to put a seals kit through.  There was actually a setup for sale on Pelican a few days ago.

The only other advice I would give is plan your upgrade as completely as you can before you start as doing it piecemeal and having to degas and regas as you go gets very expensive. You're lucky that it sounds like the system works enough now that you can tell what else needs doing while you're at it. 

+1 for all the Griffith stuff too.

With Peter on this.  Forget the old power-robbing York piston-type and look for a more  modern rotary type.  My original (88) Nippon Denso compressor works fine. I replaced the console thermostat myself for less than $60 and got a new dryer for $58 from Autohaus. They are never brilliant and on a Targa even less assured.

Hi Paul

If you are going to replace the compressor with a Sanden 507 style one (similar to what Griffiths sell) and use the existing bracket for the York compressor you have you will need this adapter

https://griffiths.com/product/porsche-911-kuehl-kwick-507-ac-comperssor-adapter-set/ (150USD plus postage)

and a sanden 507 style compressor-plenty of these on ebay for less than 200 dollars if you search for sd-507 (read the fine print as most are gold or chrome plated!)

Your original ac lines will probably have flare fittings rather than o ring fittings-and you will need a flare to o ring adapter such as  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MALE-O-RING-TO-MALE-FLARE-A-C-ADAPTER-FITTING-KIT-6-8-WITH-O-RINGS-4-pcs-/311776191115 or an ac shop to refit o ring fittings to your existing lines.

I would advocate changing to Hychill rather than r134 if you do upgrade-you wont need new lines unless they are leaking and hychill is more efficient than r134 and locally available.

Full disclosure-I have an active ad  in the for sale forum for the lighter alloy compressor stand and a working compressor from a 3.2 carrera-you would just need the flare adapters , a new drier and charge to make this work for you. I just wanted to point out the other options first.

Lukas

8 hours ago, Glom1098 said:

Full disclosure-I have an active ad  in the for sale forum for the lighter alloy compressor stand and a working compressor from a 3.2 carrera-you would just need the flare adapters , a new drier and charge to make this work for you. I just wanted to point out the other options first.

Lukas

LOL!

For some reason I thought that advert was on Pelican not PFA!

Yes, if I was updating the AC in an early car I'd make you an offer you couldn't refuse.  You even explain the minor modifications required.

I went from the compressor on the left to the new updated type.  Why? Because that was what supplied in the upgrade kit.  The bracket in the middle was the original but as you can see it needed modifying. 

DSC07369

So the cradle was cut off (and can be welded back on another base) and a mate made up some new posts for the new compressor.

DSC07394

• 2 months later...