R spec tyres on 19's for a 997

Gavn

I'm looking for a set or two of R specs to put on our 997.  Current setup is 235/35 on front and 295 30 on the rear.  I've enjoyed Toyos in the past but there are apparently none in the country in 295/30 & it seems Toyo are not very interested in supplying R specs at the moment.

Option 1 - Bridgestone 71r but only available for rear in 305/30 or 285/35 (fronts no problem)

Option 2 - Pirelli Trofeo at 900ish for rear  I guess...

Option 3 - sell the 19's & go to 18's (three sets of rims so I'd kind of like to avoid this)  or buy a set of 18's for r specs & keep the 19's for slicks for personal fun (no shortage of slicks options).

Option 4 - save this hassle every time I want r spec tyres (seems it's getting harder each time) & just get a bunch sent over from US to suit the sizes I need (anyone gone this route)?

Would love to hear from someone who has persevered with 19's & found a way...

Edit - I've had similar problems trying to find r specs for our SC & 928 so I'm really hunting for a long term solution.

5 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

cup 2s?

Have you run these (would love to get some feedback) - I don't quite know if they're a true r spec or a road tyre that can handle a bit of track work (ours will be 100% track)

4 minutes ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

Have you run these (would love to get some feedback) - I don't quite know if they're a true r spec or a road tyre that can handle a bit of track work (ours will be 100% track)

I have Cup 2 and love them . There is a R spec version as well mine are the road tyre

14 hours ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

I'm looking for a set or two of R specs to put on our 997.  Current setup is 235/35 on front and 295 30 on the rear.  I've enjoyed Toyos in the past but there are apparently none in the country in 295/30 & it seems Toyo are not very interested in supplying R specs at the moment.

Option 1 - Bridgestone 71r but only available for rear in 305/30 or 285/35 (fronts no problem)

Gavin, I think I remember hearing that Bridgestone will custom make RE71Rs in other than standard sizes????

I'm in same boat for tyres for the new GT3 - no 285/35 18s for the rears in a couple of brands I've been looking at, but think I will most likely go with Yoko A08Rs, and use 295/30s as a couple of other forum members have.

7 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Gavin, I think I remember hearing that Bridgestone will custom make RE71Rs in other than standard sizes????

I'm in same boat for tyres for the new GT3 - no 285/35 18s for the rears in a couple of brands I've been looking at, but think I will most likely go with Yoko A08Rs, and use 295/30s as a couple of other forum members have.

That makes sense & if I was doing any road driving I'd be straight onto the Yoko's.  Given it's 100% track work it makes sense to go more in that direction.  It's funny home some sizes/ratios are hard work in Australia - small market.  If I end up going with the 'import a bunch' I'll put up a message & see if anyone else wants to place an order.

On 01/02/2020 at 11:07, wilson59 said:

I have Cup 2 and love them . There is a R spec version as well mine are the road tyre

Have decided to go with the cup 2 r specs - will put up some thoughts on how they feel v r888r v slicks (from an average punter's perspective).

13 minutes ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

Have decided to go with the cup 2 r specs - will put up some thoughts on how they feel v r888r v slicks (from an average punter's perspective).

I have been pricing up the AD08Rs, and it looks like price in Melb and here is almost spot on the same, at around $1500 for the set

17 minutes ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

Think you'll get great track performance as well as road characteristics, they are pretty quiet compared to a dedicated R spec e.g. R888 / A050 etc

15 minutes ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Think you'll get great track performance as well as road characteristics, they are pretty quiet compared to a dedicated R spec e.g. R888 / A050 etc

In the end, couldn't get any r specs in a complete set so cup 2's it is.  Lots of positive reviews out there so I'm sure they'll be fit for our purpose.  Will see if they are the 'road' cup 2's or the 'r' cup 2's & depending which (tyre bloke says r's but not with much certainty), will also get a set of the other, given we'll have clients out in wet days too.  Will keep a set of slicks as well for personal pleasure.

24 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I have been pricing up the AD08Rs, and it looks like price in Melb and here is almost spot on the same, at around $1500 for the set

That's better than Sydney if it's 19's (coming in around 1700 for the AD08R's....seems they'd be coming from interstate).

11 minutes ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

That's better than Sydney if it's 19's (coming in around 1700 for the AD08R's....seems they'd be coming from interstate).

18's.  Interestingly, it appears Yoko Motorsport will freight for free if to a business address.....

2 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

18's.  Interestingly, it appears Yoko Motorsport will freight for free if to a business address.....

That's good to know, will keep it in mind for next time.  What I'd really like to do is sort out a proper tyre relationship so I'm not always chopping about & running around.  A project for this year.

Check out Demon-tweeks.com. They have the Toyo R888R and Pirelli Trofeo R available in your sizes. I purchased my Trofeo Rs for my 3.2 Carrera from them. They arrived in 2 weeks and were cheaper than when they were available in Aus. That includes freight and taxes.

On 06/02/2020 at 19:47, Simonk said:

Check out Demon-tweeks.com. They have the Toyo R888R and Pirelli Trofeo R available in your sizes. I purchased my Trofeo Rs for my 3.2 Carrera from them. They arrived in 2 weeks and were cheaper than when they were available in Aus. That includes freight and taxes.

Thanks for the real world experience Simon - I'd stumbled across their site & put it into the 'investigate when i need to bring them in' box.  After a day with the cup2's I'm happy but will be bringing in r888r.  Will bring in a set for the SC while I'm at it as it seems Toyo have given up on the local r spec market.  Rather than mucking about with freight forwarding in the US it seems Demon-tweeks might be an easier option.

For those following the thread - the cup 2's (used on a wet track progressing to dry by the end of the day) were good but as expected, not quite as grippy as r888r's (which is fine given different design brief).  I'll be keeping them as wet/cold day tyres.