my brain hurts: Macan,GLC, or Velar?

Hi All,

I've done too much thinking and no longer am sure of what I think I know or not, so was hoping for some words of wisdom from the brains trust.

My better halfs Territory is due for an update (last of the range,2016 with 40K), and so we are in the market for a mid size SUV with a bit of luxury. I've done full loops across each of Jag Fpace, Evoque, Macan,Velar, GLC300 merecedes, and even Volvo CX60 was on the cards. For us, a $100k car is a pretty big purchase, and i'm trying as best as possible to avoid a potential diaster. Too many youtube reviews, forum reads, and even test drives has left me a little disillusioned with whats available.

So, guys if I spell out my thoughts on each, I'd be interested in if that aligns with the general concensus, or if I've got the wrong end of the stick:

(I probably dont expect a 'your should buy this car recommendation' because it depends on our  

In no particular order, this is what i've tested and considered:

- Porsche Macan: Ok my favourite, for performance and its just as nice as my 718. Only issue may be rear space, its at the smaller end compared to current Territory. I am trying to be sure that any alternative is better

- Velar: I'd planned for a diesel, but the petrol/oiling issue rulled that out, and the overall build quality and people returning cars and walking away from them just plain scares me

-Evoque: Even more quality concerns that Velar? Interior window button on the test drive car fell aprt, and panel fit on brand new showroom car was shocking

- MB GLC 300: Steering wheel is offset to passenger side? Gearshift on the tree? And i'm not even 50 yet, and considering a MB? :)

-Fpace, I wanted to like it, but the ride was really poor,  think 2003 Daewoo in local streets

Volvo hasn't been tested, but maybe a little 'pedestrian' ?

No offence intended to anyone who has any of the above, apart from the Daewoo,  I know there are masses of each example on the roads.

Thanks in advance to any guidance,words of wisdom or otherwise,  and apologies for being more of a 'lurker' here than participant.

keep away from the Corona's

Deano  

I work with a guy who recently purchased the Lexus SUV. Sorry but can't recall whether the RX or NX. Either way, purchased for people moving with two kids and is very satisfied with his purchase.

Probably not helpful to add another in the mix, but my 2c - define the specific use/need of the vehicle and tick off against that. Obviously, you have to like looking at it too ;) 

I think the only contender to the Macan in your list is the GLC300 

I couldn’t care for any of the British offerings, and frankly they don’t have a great reputation for ownership experience...not sure if that still holds true, nor do I care 

I’m going into my 4th year of Macan turbo ownership and it’s been a wonderful car, it’s got just shy of 60k on the odometer now and it’s been nothing short of stellar... I’ve done dots of towing with it, long distance trips and off-road drivings, snow, ice, sand you name it... it’s a very safe car. 

in that time I’ve put new brakes on it (only recently) and one set of tyres, of course regular services on top... other than that, it’s been a joy to own and the warranty is extendable to 15 years total from new, so I plan to own it a long time. 

you haven’t mentioned if you’re buying used or new? But to me, the smart money right now has to be a good low mile CPO Macan, I was at PCSS late last year and they had a fully loaded turbo MY17 for $109k... I’d buy that over a new 4cyl build all day! 

Have recently had a good look at the MB GLC 300 & 43AMG as a potential replacements for my wife’s C320cdi - both were ruled out because of a tyre skipping issue that is common to 4-Matic GLC models (the C43 AMG estate was ruled out for the same reason) - you will find plenty about the issue online but it afflicts only the RHD cars and results in very unpleasant noises from the front end when turning (particularly in the wet) and premature wear of the front tyres - MB don’t officially acknowledge the problem but have assisted some owners with replacement tyres and a front end modification - because they don’t concede the problem, they are unable to come out and say “we have fixed it” with the recent update of the GLC. We eventually went down a size and settled on a new Golf R that was delivered this morning!

We picked up the new Macan S June last year. I dont like high ride / 4x4s but I do enjoy driving the Macan though. Looked at the i-Pace but they had no stock at the time - My shoulders dont fit the seat properly so it was discounted pretty quickly. The Macan is compact and Id say not much different to the GLC interior wise. Had a bad experience with Mercedes so never setting foot in there again. I believe the Merc will have better overall tech to the Macan though. 

The other one to look at is the Alfa Stelvio. Not on par with either of the GLC or Macan. I would definitely look at CPO cars (as stated above) in the GTS / Turbo flavour great buying value with the new car now out. Options will take any Porsche to astronomical pricing in the end. We just couldnt find one and ended up ordering in the end.

^^ good points.

Lexus has never been on my radar TBH, just never appealed., like a Camry Sportivo.

We did have a secondhand Camry wagon (!) as the first 'good' car we could afford  when at uni, and it was a pretty trusty.

Whatever we buy will be new, i'm aiming to have it for 3 or 4 years, so looking at 2020 build also, and preferably not a demonstrator.

I'd be happy if it does come down to the Macan vs GLC, then the boss can choose, and I cant be accused of bias and pushing for the Porsche.

(anything above the 4cyl though will be into points eating arena.)

My Wife loves her SQ5 thats pretty much a Macan. Coming from a Cayenne she likes the smaller size for parking etc. I liked the Cayenne more but it's her car so you know. If it was upto me we would have a G wagon. 

Maybe I should just buy a G wagon and sell my ute. Hmmm off to car sales. Thanks for the idea. 

lalalalalalala not listening on the MB tyre skipping....

no, thanks actually , I was not aware. Bugger and poo.

Funny though, but my 718 tyre skips at low speed near lock (eg reversing out of the driveway)

Agree with the MB technology, the screen looks pretty responsive and updated.

The Alfa Stevio might be too freaky, i'm trying to stay somewhat mainstream, but thanks for the suggestions 

I went from a Territory Titanium to a Touareg.  I know this is at the larger end of things (Cayenne size) but I needed the extra towing capacity otherwise I might have looked at Macan / Q5.  Could have gone Cayenne, but I was buying second hand, and for same $ Cayennes were twice as old and had twice as many kms.  Got to say I'm very impressed in the Toerag.....

^ what he said.  I’ve owned E53 (used), E70 (new) & F15 (new) X5s since 2007, all 30d models.  My wife still drives the F15 that we bought new in 2014, has done 120,000+ including towing a 2400kg van all over the place.  We’ve had ZERO issues with any of them.  

I recently traded my M3 on a current shape G05 X5 M50d and I love it, like a big fast lounge suite 🤪. I didn’t need the M50d but it was too good a deal (8000km old, 50k off original price) and 294kW/760Nm 😲 is mega for towing.  It’s also pretty quick at around 5.2s to 100, corners on rails and sips 8.0L/100km all day long.  It’s much nicer than the current shape Q7 I had before the M3.

I considered and drove all the alternatives but settled for the trusty X5 and I love it.  Current shape Cayenne was the only other car I really liked but no diesel (👎🏻 If towing is your thing) so I looked at hybrid but for towing, bad idea.  Also expensive and the demo had averaged over 13L/100km, 60% more fuel than my X5, what’s the point?  300kg off battery appears to offset the advantages.

You can pickup a current shape MSport 30d well under 100k now and probably under 80k for a 2018 F15 previous gen car.  But the G05 is a big step up in drivetrain refinement and interior design.

5hxx3xxl15ql53uqj3psw0wr6.jpg?pxc_method=fitfill&pxc_width=480

2019 BMW X5 xDrive30d G05 Auto 4x4

• 16,270 km
  • SUV
  • Automatic
  • 6cyl 3.0L T Diesel

Dealer Used

For more information on this item please visit:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2019-BMW-X5-xDrive30d-G05-Auto-4x4/OAG-AD-18282177

Hi Deano - thought I'd throw in longer term perspective.  We've been running a cayenne that is now at 167000kms & in that time it has done servicing, tyres & 1 shaft.  Shows no signs of issues/rattles etc.  They're screwed together pretty well - I plan on running it for as long as I can.

I had a macan S petrol for three years and it's now with another a forum member. I loved it and still do. 

mrs drives a GLC43 we bought new 2 years ago. Refined well spec'ed value for money vs macan and lots of punch. But the tire skip shits me. Just ticked over 10k and canvas showing through the front tires vs rears 40% worn.😡

Totally agree with @edgyI would go for a good used/demo turbo  macan.

The GLC does have a fix but you are right in that MB wont acknowledge it. I know someone that persisted and got theirs fixed, it took a lot of effort though. Somehow only affects RHD models?

It is a modified steering knuckle, this fixes the issue.

Odd that they had issue with the GLC as the bigger ML/ GLEs are unaffected by any of this.

Similar to @Gavin (CliffToCoast) but with Mercedes I have been running MLs for years with no issues and love them!

so would you expect a new build to have the steering issue addressed by now, if it's a modded steering knuckle to fix?

We are going for another test drive Saturday morning, is there anyway I can make it skip to try and experience it?

It looks like a 2 horse race, as I think if the BMW was to be included, I would need an X5 M version, and that blows the budget more than I'm prepared to pay.

I agree about the 3l 6cylinder diesel, it was amazing and put the BM up a notch, sounded like a mad max build with the turbo whine

2 more points on the GLC300:

-is it me or is the steering wheel really offset towards the passenger side?

- does anyone have an issue with the brake pedal pad? My wife has smallish feet, and from our last test drive, felt it was only her toes that could reach the brake pad, not the ball of her foot, so didnt feel safe/comfortable. Sounds strange, but thats what I'm told. Maybe the pad can be lowered?

There's probably alot of sense in looking at a 12 month old vehicle or CPO car, but since we only plan to keep it 2-3 years, and will do up to 40K, it seems like we are not stepping forward as much if we went down this path.

I thought this would be fun,easy and quick.

We haven't even reached the negotiation stage...

8 minutes ago, deano said:

so would you expect a new build to have the steering issue addressed by now, if it's a modded steering knuckle to fix?

Yes, I have been told that all new vehicles have the fix, apparently since 2018 - not sure what part of the year though.

Buying a car can be a real P.I.T.A. 🙄😁

Have you tried an Audi Q5 3.0lt TDI, S Line. tows like a freight train. My current one, which is about to be replaced (6 yrs, 120k) has had 1 set of tyres at 60k, front rotors & pads and  general servicing ( independent). Great car and would buy another but feel like a change.
We have always had BMW ‘S in the family but moved away a couple of years ago, my wife has just taken delivery of a BMW M135i xdrive To replace her GTI,  and what a fantastic car, its tempting me to a X3 M40i, X5 is too large l.

1 hour ago, ANF said:

👍 an older one or a newer one? I say go for it!

2018 G300.

I'd have an older one in a flash but I've just not seen any for sale. My understanding is the G350 Bluetec has some issues with heat. I drive to a lot of remote hot areas hunting so need it to be able run on the swamp water etc. 

6 hours ago, Uncle said:

2018 G300.

I'd have an older one in a flash but I've just not seen any for sale. My understanding is the G350 Bluetec has some issues with heat. I drive to a lot of remote hot areas hunting so need it to be able run on the swamp water etc. 

No G63 then 😉

Don't discount the Volvo either, we went car shopping recently and bought another Volvo to replace my wife's S60, we got a V40, after reviewing most other brands. They make very nice cars now, great interiors and go quite well.

3 hours ago, Coastr said:

Those who have diesel x5s - have they started leaking oil from various gaskets?

Nope, 4 different cars over 13 years, not one drop.

20 hours ago, deano said:

There's probably alot of sense in looking at a 12 month old vehicle or CPO car, but since we only plan to keep it 2-3 years, and will do up to 40K, it seems like we are not stepping forward as much if we went down this path.

I don’t buy new any more, let someone else take year 1 depreciation hit.  I always look for a lightly used car up to a year old and save plenty.  

narrow your focus and watch the market and be prepared to move quickly when the right car pops up.

For example, in early 2018 i bought an M3 Comp, 6m old, 8,000km for 107k.  PO paid 170k for it just 6 months prior!  He traded it and another car on a supercar at Zagame Richmond.  Regular customer of theirs.  Zagame listed at 119k, at the lower end of the cars at that time.  I called as soon as I saw, they were keen to negotiate and get it off their floor as it was below their normal price point.  I happened to have dealt with the guy previously at Porsche.  He says he was happy to sell to me at the traded value, who knows but it was a great deal so I bought it over the phone.  Bargains happen if you follow the market and can make quick decisions.

similar story with my X5.  Sydney BMW dealer had sold it new, fully loaded to a regular customer that needed a car to “fill in time” until his X7 M50d arrived.  Traded cheap a year later and so I picked it up for 50k less than he paid......

don’t be that guy 🤔