my brain hurts: Macan,GLC, or Velar?

thanks Tips and all for the wise words.

Will be same scenario regarding Mrs car, daily and a few country trips to visit the eldest.

The tyre issue was raised, I will mention it with the dealer to get current update. Hopefully it has been sorted in the 2 years since.

There might be logic in the 12 month old, certified, or demo etc, but I just cant do it. It doesn't sit with me, as we have 'lost a year' of going forward from current 2016. 

I figure, if i'm the mug that buys new, then one of you guys can then purchase at a steal, a few years down the track. :)

Since we've opened up to the GLC43 budget wise, I should probably do the same for Macan S now

21 minutes ago, deano said:

Since we've opened up to the GLC43 budget wise, I should probably do the same for Macan S now

Indeed, and in that case... my $$ would go to the Macan, and for a little extra, the smart $$$ has got to be the Macan GTS... but I guess that will come down to whether the standard equipment inclusions are of value to you, I will take a low option build on a higher grade than an excessively optioned base or S 

16 hours ago, Tips said:

Totally agree with @edgy the 4 cyl IMO is a dull version of what is a fantastic SUV.

Every time I go for a service and they hand me 4cyl loan car, its usually loaded with 21's, panoramic roof etc... my god do I cringe! I mean pano roof alone is 5% of the price of the vehicle :lol: then the 21's is more again... IMO If I were budget conscious and still wanted a great SUV in that size, I'd go bust nuts at Audi and get an SQ5... 

(admitting sheepishly) I was going to go 21's, the panaramic roof I can take or leave, we get too much sun as it is.

The only time I drive with the boxster roof down is at night.

I tried to build a  Skoda RS equivalent to Macan, but the website killed my patience and sorry, not inspiring if the website wont let me configure.

On, i'll look at sq5's.

Why wont salespeople take it in?  if you dont want a 2020 vehicle, that means it should not be built before 2020, complianced before 2020, or registered before 2020.

Yes, I'll wait. And lots of  BS from MB, the new 5 year warranty started from March vehicles, it is not just for this month only. 15 minutes on the phoen all BS oclock.

Why isnt it simple?

I want a car. They will make one if ones not at hand.

Tell me how much it is. Not the rrp. which means nothing in reality.

I have money and will give it to you if you give me a car.Normally you agree and shake hands, ok wave to each other. done.

7 hours ago, edgy said:

Every time I go for a service and they hand me 4cyl loan car

That was my experience at SSPC and It was terribly underwhelming @deano don’t do the base car u will be disappointed for life.

7 hours ago, deano said:

Hopefully it has been sorted in the 2 years since

Good luck and can assure you, no, and the dealer won’t admit it was an issue to start with. Took  some demonstration that I knew what was going on before he would talk reasonably about it. But seriously if ur ok with new tires every 10km it’s an awesome package.

1 hour ago, deano said:

I was going to go 21's

Don’t listen to Kurt, I loved my 21’s

7 hours ago, edgy said:

IMO If I were budget conscious and still wanted a great SUV in that size, I'd go bust nuts at Audi and get an SQ5.

Ok well maybe half listen to him 🙄 I was also thinking SQ5 as well. I know a few on here have them and looks like a great all rounder for a Smelly diesel 

14 hours ago, Tips said:

That was my experience at SSPC and It was terribly underwhelming @deano don’t do the base car u will be disappointed for life.

Good luck and can assure you, no, and the dealer won’t admit it was an issue to start with. Took  some demonstration that I knew what was going on before he would talk reasonably about it. But seriously if ur ok with new tires every 10km it’s an awesome package.

Ok well maybe half listen to him 🙄 I was also thinking SQ5 as well. I know a few on here have them and looks like a great all rounder for a Smelly diesel 

10K kms  for tyres doesn't excite me at all., and would currently sway it from the 43 back to the Macan. I will definitely raise it tomorrow, and if anything is getting close, get some form of assurance of what would be dont if tyre life is shortened. Perhaps a good aligner could revert the setup away from turning circle back to less scrubby. 

Such passion against the 4cyl's, I might need to get out more perhaps. Salesperson basically did a launch control drag race, which seemed plenty quick enough at the time.

SQ5 doesnt do it for me, at least on the website. Maybe it's better in real life, but it looks too civilised/ pedestrian IMHO.

It needs to at least suggest wanker, or it wont fit in with the boxster. will update tomorrow.

maybe.

On 19/03/2020 at 21:45, Tips said:

Ha! I should’ve put a bit more context on that post, I meant at the circa $100k ~ I reckon the SQ5 is hard to beat... you can always negotiate hard at Audi has been my experience with them!

On 20/03/2020 at 14:05, deano said:

Such passion against the 4cyl's, I might need to get out more perhaps. Salesperson basically did a launch control drag race, which seemed plenty quick enough at the time.

Maybe it’s just me, but daily driving the Turbo 3.6, you really notice the lack or torque... it’s not just me, even my better half noticed it. 

But hey, you do you!! If you are happy with the 4cyl and it works for you, don’t let some idiot on a forum influence your substantial purchase... truth be told if I wasn’t such a petrol head/red neck that needs to tow... the 4 banger will be adequate! 

The platform itself is robust and my near 4 years of ownership since new have been fantastic! One of the best all round cars (if not the best) I have ever had the joy of owning. 

21 hours ago, Sustenpass said:

Just cracked a rim on the 20s on the e-class. 

Getting welded up, ‘thinking of going down a size or two when tyres are next due.

That was important to me, having sufficient tyre sidewall! That’s why I opted for 20’s on my macan... I could’ve gone the 19’s but the 20’s has been the best balance of practicality & aesthetic... and it’s been places most landcruisers won’t ever 

decision made.

Unfortunately the MB 43 has too high power to weight ratio for my daughter to be able to drive on Ps', if that ever occurs, but having 2 cars in the family she cant drive wont makes sense. So it was down to the C300 and Maca, i'd be happy with either. We did back to back test drives, and the final verdict was the Macan.  Color is going to be white, just need to go over the configurator one final time, and the compare the wish list to a few cars already built and shipping now.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate the different perspectives.

1 hour ago, deano said:

too high power to weight ratio for my daughter to be able to drive on P

Yep I had the same issue, so got her an old CX5 and me the car I wanted 🤣 

Glad to see you made the decision and went Macan, assuming the 4 cyl

Nice one @deano now the fun begins!! Yell out if you have any questions on configuration... a few of us have agonised over it, pulled the trigger and lived with our builds! I’m all about the smart build... it’s too easy to get carried away with options! 

11 hours ago, Tips said:

Yep, don't add the sports chrono on the 4 banger, it's an expensive clock.

Ha, thats funny. first laugh for the day, thanks.

I was surprised  that the mrs had such a position on wheels. I have 3 sets for the Capri kicking around, the obligatory minilights, oem rostyles and gold bathurst globes which were the rage at on stage.

She poo-pooed my choice of silver  21'" classic 5 spokes, which were  easy to clean, going for any of the more on trend black which I equally detest.

30 years of marriage and still learning..

• 1 month later...

for those who like happy endings, a white Macan now has our name on it.

ETA about 3 weeks, already on the ship.

Thanks to yous all.

1 last of the Territory's now on Carsales, only 45K kms.

Going cheaper to PFA is anyone needs a family car.

19 minutes ago, deano said:

for those who like happy endings, a white Macan now has our name on it.

ETA about 3 weeks, already on the ship.

Thanks to yous all.

1 last of the Territory's now on Carsales, only 45K kms.

Going cheaper to PFA is anyone needs a family car.

Congrats!!

That is about as happy as endings get!! 

Now we gotta ask, spec? I imagine if you just did a deal on it, its someones build thats canned, or more than likely a dealer specced build?? They should be able to give you a Porsche Code for it... B)

cheers Edgy.

The car was a demo build already on the way, destined for dealer stock. 

I needed a car with roof rails, in white, and the rest was pretty much open to taking whatever comes.

It ended up having sunroof, seat heating,lane change assist, entry and drive, and I added 21"wheels in silver.Some of which I probably wouldnt have ticked, but it also gave scope for some price negotiation.

That leaves window tint, and a towbar to be fitted after delivery. And maybe blackout the Macan badge if it arrives chrome.

I'm hoping I can sell the Territory in the meantime.One enquiry so far after less than 24 hours online.