For sale: 997.2 GT3 RS

12 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

Let’s step back here and take a breath.  
It’s a 997.2 GT3 RS.  They were all born in the same hospital.  
Dodgy diff (maybe).  Rebuild cost 1500. I know because Ive done it.  New diff cost 3500.  I know because I’ve also done it (yes, I’m hard on the gear ..)   Both plus labour.  Replacement rotors. Where’d that come from?  After 80,000? Don’t think so.  On the premise of 80,000 km stop start city traffic, no chance.  Nowhere near enough heat generated to cause appreciable wear.  Pads maybe. Even so, shop smart and it’s 10K.  Anyone who pays full freight isn’t trying hard enough.  
80,000 km is 80,000 km ... 
$250,000 is wildly pessimistic.  
There is also a solid case for the proposition that a higher km car is a safer bet that one that’s not been used as much.  Yes, the market values lower k cars and if I can, I buy those but ...

... it’s still a 997.2 GT3 RS

Also, I like the “gaiters” that you’ve put on the side of the seats.  Smart way to protect against wear.  Also says something about the owner ... in a positive way.

It’s the Australian way we are good at it . Look for the negative first 

You lose the investor buyers at ‘import’ and ‘80k kms’. Like it or not they’re the lions share of buyers of this car, not track junkies.

Personally I think you’d have to be nuts to drop anything over 300 on this car as of today unless you were committing to a 10 year hold. Aussie delivered ones are not rare, and they do come up frequently. 10 years from now will probably be a different story however.

3 hours ago, mezgertruth said:

Residual value is more like AU$100k actually. Not sure why the OMV values that time were quite low. Your 390k calculation doesn’t take into account the importation costs and taxes eg LCT. 

Yes quite true, omv was weird at that time for many exotics, so indeed closer to 100k. I suspect it was a case of competition at the time from the Lamborghini importer Eurosport who were hugely fighting for market share and hence pushed omv very low on their cars to bring the sales prices very close to Porsche... And made people swap to Lambo. Yeah I was one of those that figured I would rather have the bling of an LP than a Porsche for similar money at the time.

I suspect sadly that the oz marker is pretty soft currently and you won't find it so easy to sell her here. 

If you are emotionally attached to her and want to keep her here then definitely bring her back. But if you can secure a sale in Singapore I think it would be economically better. The market here has had a massive correction and people are primarily looking for low mileage and with a high emphasis on Australian delivered cars... It has always been something peculiar to the oz market.

At the current time a non Oz import may make sense if it is at a substantial discount and even then it may be a bit risky for someone who is not looking to keep her for a very long time and not for economic gain (sadly Porsche owners of today seem to think their cars are investments). Economically I would rather sell it in Singapore mate. Do a trade in if you really want to get it off your hands. 

45 minutes ago, sleazius said:

You lose the investor buyers at ‘import’ and ‘80k kms’. Like it or not they’re the lions share of buyers of this car, not track junkies.

Personally I think you’d have to be nuts to drop anything over 300 on this car as of today unless you were committing to a 10 year hold. Aussie delivered ones are not rare, and they do come up frequently. 10 years from now will probably be a different story however.

Spot on sadly.

The only time to bring her back is if she means a lot to you and you are happy to hold her and enjoy her and sure, if the market turns then sell her if you decide you don't want her anymore.

To give you some perspective, I am going through a very similar import process currently. The key difference is the car I'm bringing in was never imported into Australia officially, and there is literally one rhd example brought into Australia as a personal import by someone in Sydney and one lhd example that is not road registered also in sydney. So with mine, there will only be two road registered RHD examples of the car making it very unique (also only 135 ever made worldwide and only 25 in rhd worldwide). Add the fact that I have zero intention of selling it and it makes sense to go through the importation process for me.

Would I bring in anything else? Only if I know I can't get it in Australia and I know I love it and want to keep it. Otherwise no way. 

8 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

Let’s step back here and take a breath.  
It’s a 997.2 GT3 RS.  They were all born in the same hospital.  
Dodgy diff (maybe).  Rebuild cost 1500. I know because Ive done it.  New diff cost 3500.  I know because I’ve also done it (yes, I’m hard on the gear ..)   Both plus labour.  Replacement rotors. Where’d that come from?  After 80,000? Don’t think so.  On the premise of 80,000 km stop start city traffic, no chance.  Nowhere near enough heat generated to cause appreciable wear.  Pads maybe. Even so, shop smart and it’s 10K.  Anyone who pays full freight isn’t trying hard enough.  
80,000 km is 80,000 km ... 
$250,000 is wildly pessimistic.  
There is also a solid case for the proposition that a higher km car is a safer bet that one that’s not been used as much.  Yes, the market values lower k cars and if I can, I buy those but ...

... it’s still a 997.2 GT3 RS

Also, I like the “gaiters” that you’ve put on the side of the seats.  Smart way to protect against wear.  Also says something about the owner ... in a positive way.

Yes. Your estimate for the diff is correct, it’d be about the same to do it here in SG. It’s not a major item and the factory diff is weak anyway. 

I thought the PCCBs were worn when I bought the car if I’m honest. But after a simple restoration and clean, they’re functioning very well. Haven’t brought them to the limits though, really. 

I wonder what spec Aussie .2 RSes officially came in? For example SG cars are pretty fully loaded including the Carrera GT carbon buckets, full PCM and lifter. 

6 hours ago, sleazius said:

A fair view! 

5 hours ago, Harold996tt said:

Yes quite true, omv was weird at that time for many exotics, so indeed closer to 100k. I suspect it was a case of competition at the time from the Lamborghini importer Eurosport who were hugely fighting for market share and hence pushed omv very low on their cars to bring the sales prices very close to Porsche... And made people swap to Lambo. Yeah I was one of those that figured I would rather have the bling of an LP than a Porsche for similar money at the time.

I suspect sadly that the oz marker is pretty soft currently and you won't find it so easy to sell her here. 

If you are emotionally attached to her and want to keep her here then definitely bring her back. But if you can secure a sale in Singapore I think it would be economically better. The market here has had a massive correction and people are primarily looking for low mileage and with a high emphasis on Australian delivered cars... It has always been something peculiar to the oz market.

At the current time a non Oz import may make sense if it is at a substantial discount and even then it may be a bit risky for someone who is not looking to keep her for a very long time and not for economic gain (sadly Porsche owners of today seem to think their cars are investments). Economically I would rather sell it in Singapore mate. Do a trade in if you really want to get it off your hands. 

Spot on sadly.

The only time to bring her back is if she means a lot to you and you are happy to hold her and enjoy her and sure, if the market turns then sell her if you decide you don't want her anymore.

To give you some perspective, I am going through a very similar import process currently. The key difference is the car I'm bringing in was never imported into Australia officially, and there is literally one rhd example brought into Australia as a personal import by someone in Sydney and one lhd example that is not road registered also in sydney. So with mine, there will only be two road registered RHD examples of the car making it very unique (also only 135 ever made worldwide and only 25 in rhd worldwide). Add the fact that I have zero intention of selling it and it makes sense to go through the importation process for me.

Would I bring in anything else? Only if I know I can't get it in Australia and I know I love it and want to keep it. Otherwise no way. 

After seeing the discussion here and having the kind opinion of the AU market (I really appreciate it), I came to the same conclusion as you. It’s not quite worth the trouble to import it to Australia if the intention is to sell. As funny as it sounds it seems like the car would fetch the same if not higher in SG. 

I think over the years the depreciation of the GBP and AUD against the SGD hasn’t helped either. This has easily shaved off a lot of buying power for foreign demand.  

I’m still on the fence on this one really as I would really like to keep it. It’s down to where I would be spending more time in! It just feels a little silly to drive a literal race car in Singapore with precious little opportunity to untap the potential. On the flip side I really don’t know if the car would be used enough in Oz. In any case, a problem of my own to sort. 

Australian spec cars were full fat as well. 

Im guessing that if you imported it, you’d be in it more.

Bring in to sell, yep - a bit of a struggle - and some of the feedback here illustrates that.  To own and enjoy - no brainer.  What would you replace it with??

Here’a the thing.  There’s a dirty little bastard child UK  import 996 GT3 RS with “massive” k’s on the market right now asking just a little less than 2 pure breeds being sold by CTS and Duttons. It might be a little heavy on asking price or Duttons/CTS ask is low (suppressed snigger).  The point I’m trying to support - and the argument has its Swiss cheese elements - is that for truly rare and special cars, the location of country of first delivery is becoming a little less of an issue.  Higher k’s - yep, will stay up there as a factor when comparing.

Of course my sanctimonious piety would go out the window if I were a buyer of that 996 and would be whipping the import/high k’s horse for all I’m worth - its off a dealer after all!  

Not that I’m looking at it of course ....

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2020 at 23:58, Harold996tt said:

Spot on sadly.

Has the personnel import got some factory orange peel to the trained eye within some orange duco.?