Dream car incoming

Can you check that CEVA is actually placing the car in an enclosed truck?

I once paid CEVA  for an enclosed truck to transport a car to Melbourne and when I rang the bloke in Melbourne when he got it I asked him if it was delivered in an enclosed truck and he said no. It was delivered on a normal multi car carrier.

I didn't bother following it up as the guy was happy with it but I will never use CEVA again.

I used Carways transport for my 928 from Melbourne and whilst it wasn't in a enclosed van it got here much quicker than Ceva did and for a lot less and all communication with the carrier was friendly and helpful. I will be using them again.

I think the “enclosed” transport thing is not door to door. Wouldn’t know how to check either. I know it was picked up on an open car carrier (earlier pic) but hopefully the train leg is enclosed. I suspect the last leg to depot from rail yard in Brisbane will be open carrier again. 

Well the car has been on an interesting journey. Made it to Footscray railyards after 4 day journey across from Perth. Then trucked to the Ceva depot nearby. Has now been trucked up to Sydney. 
Tracking site still says delivery on 26/3, but the cars so close now and scheduled for transport to Brisbane on Monday 16/3. Hopefully I get the car a lot sooner. May have to *cough, cough, wheeze* go into “quarantine”. (Pls don’t take that as anything more than lighthearted enthusiasm to drive my new car 😁)

There have been some nice surprises (and one undesirable) since receiving the car and ploughing through a tank of 98.

First the suspension has been very hard - failed the jiggle test with my wife in the first drive.  Fortunately, have found the installed Bilsteins set to their hardest setting so will be playing with softening for road use.

When I got time, it was raised on the hoist for a look underneath - DRY!  No oil drips or baked coolant residue mess anywhere (very pleased).  It also appears a previous owner has spent a small fortune at Cargraphic, with the installation of turbo-back exhaust system $$$.  Also the Bilsteins are Cargraphic-supplied with Airlift.  The airbag lifts the nose up substantially - more $$$.  It looks like the 19" wheels are also Cargraphic as well (I thought they were 18s so that's another welcome surprise) - again more $$$.

Lastly, when scouring all the receipts I found a substantial $ invoice for "APR Upgrade" - not knowing what that was, I hit google to find out.  Sweet baby Jesus, it's chipped and the OTS curve is pretty special.  Need to investigate further about the tune on board, and what other set tunes there are.  I believe you can have a few settings - so there's some homework for later.

But before all this..... I sat in the car at Ceva Brisbane admiring and adjusting the seating position.  Fire her up.... ooo that rumble :Drool:  Turn on AC and BLAM - smacked in the face with gobfull of air conditioner vent foam :blink:  Some time with tweezers and a vacuum later it's gotten better, but still firing bits of snot at me.  Bit more effort required to rectify that over time.  

Now buttoned up in the shed - dirty - ready for another squirt this week.

Am I worried about the new car levels of depreciation I just inherited from the COVID19? - on paper, yes.  But this is my dream car and I will be holding on for a long time to come.  5 seconds behind the wheel and all those concerns fade away.

I hope everyone stays safe amid the current challenges.

17 hours ago, flamingporsche said:

There have been some nice surprises (and one undesirable) since receiving the car and ploughing through a tank of 98.

First the suspension has been very hard - failed the jiggle test with my wife in the first drive.  Fortunately, have found the installed Bilsteins set to their hardest setting so will be playing with softening for road use.

When I got time, it was raised on the hoist for a look underneath - DRY!  No oil drips or baked coolant residue mess anywhere (very pleased).  It also appears a previous owner has spent a small fortune at Cargraphic, with the installation of turbo-back exhaust system $$$.  Also the Bilsteins are Cargraphic-supplied with Airlift.  The airbag lifts the nose up substantially - more $$$.  It looks like the 19" wheels are also Cargraphic as well (I thought they were 18s so that's another welcome surprise) - again more $$$.

Lastly, when scouring all the receipts I found a substantial $ invoice for "APR Upgrade" - not knowing what that was, I hit google to find out.  Sweet baby Jesus, it's chipped and the OTS curve is pretty special.  Need to investigate further about the tune on board, and what other set tunes there are.  I believe you can have a few settings - so there's some homework for later.

But before all this..... I sat in the car at Ceva Brisbane admiring and adjusting the seating position.  Fire her up.... ooo that rumble :Drool:  Turn on AC and BLAM - smacked in the face with gobfull of air conditioner vent foam :blink:  Some time with tweezers and a vacuum later it's gotten better, but still firing bits of snot at me.  Bit more effort required to rectify that over time.  0

Now buttoned up in the shed - dirty - ready for another squirt this week.

Am I worried about the new car levels of depreciation I just inherited from the COVID19? - on paper, yes.  But this is my dream car and I will be holding on for a long time to come.  5 seconds behind the wheel and all those concerns fade away.

I hope everyone stays safe amid the current 

Much more expensive to put those mods on a stock one and way better car to drive  with those mods  compared to a stock one.  Eg not much change out of 7 to 8k with current fx rate for a tune and exhaust.  Suspension bits add up extremely quickly.  The only time you need to worry about depreciation is if you trade up to something else.  Not too sure what that is, eg on paper you probably have more power and tq than most  gt3's of any model ( and its a available lower in the rev range).

JUST a view but not all tunes are alike if you venture beyond off the shelf tunes and  I wouldn't be going anywhere near APR if you are thinking of going beyond a off the shelf tune unless that chip has a matching  handheld unit to switch tunes via the obd port.  Tuners such as Kevin at UMW, markski, Sam at By design ( cobb based tune) run rings around APR in terms of tuning  996 turbo's if your into bang for buck. For me,  APR have a  short attention span and good at OTS tunes for the masses, particularly on audis and  on newer models. Plus chipped is showing its age, i.e  last century tech.  

OTS tunes although miles in front of a factory tuned ecu  box, where you are lucky to see 1 bar of boost,  aren't that special.  The above tuners  can get you another circa 20% more boost and more  area under the  curve ( more important for some) along  with higher peak numbers safely.  ( not hard to bend mezger rods in the wrong hands when you up the boost)

That all said, plenty of smiles on the dial with those mods  you have that most 996TT owners don't get to experience.  I am assuming you are finding a third gear pull at WOT with the window down as you see the tacho climb north of 5000 rpm  pretty intoxicating

Ps with the boost gauge on, what is the max boost you are seeing?  Do you have an  APR  oBd hand held unit to plug in?.

When was the engine and tranny mounts last replaced ( recommend that is looked at if not done so recently) and what shifter setup are you running.  If it's factory shifter mechanism,  highly recommend ditching the stock mechanism and swapping it with  one from a 997 depending on how short you like your throw.   EG stock 997 vs 997 sports shortshifter vs 997gt2/3 which is a bit more mechanical ( metal replaces plastic bits  in the 997 shortshifter) .

Besides coilovers / lift kit, is it   running any other non factory suspension bits, eg adjustable toe links / adjustible lower control arms / sway bar links to minimise excessive tyre wear on a dropped  ride height and given your running 19 inch rims.

Plus reckon your car might fly the p flag better than this one.

On 25/03/2020 at 09:32, flamingporsche said:

Hey Flamingporsche,

You lucky dude... Can't believe all those extras were surprises! You've done so well - they are the first mods I would want to have.

Forget the $$, and now you can enjoy the car

😎

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2020 at 09:34, luzzo said:

Hey Flamingporsche,

You lucky dude... Can't believe all those extras were surprises! You've done so well - they are the first mods I would want to have.

Forget the $$, and now you can enjoy the car

😎

Not worried about the cost. Just recognising there's a paper loss that was unexpected 2 months ago when I bought her.  This is a long term hold & enjoy.  The smiles valuation offsets any paper losses.  Like I justified to my missus - rather have six figures sitting in the garage to enjoy than in the bank getting next to no return.

I should clarify with respect to the extras... I knew it had the Billies, it wasn't until I asked for a clearance measurement for the transport that the PO goes "oh it's got air suspsension and the height is xx cm with it lifted"!!  He said it had a "stainless exhaust" which usually means a local muffler shop jobbie.  But definitely no mention of 19" rims or the chip. 

I think that I have sussed out the rims as Avant Garde Ruger Mesh rims - super nice.

On 26/03/2020 at 02:16, smit2100 said:

That all said, plenty of smiles on the dial with those mods  you have that most 996TT owners don't get to experience.  I am assuming you are finding a third gear pull at WOT with the window down as you see the tacho climb north of 5000 rpm  pretty intoxicating

Ps with the boost gauge on, what is the max boost you are seeing?  Do you have an  APR  oBd hand held unit to plug in?.

Besides coilovers / lift kit, is it   running any other non factory suspension bits, eg adjustable toe links / adjustible lower control arms / sway bar links to minimise excessive tyre wear on a dropped  ride height and given your running 19 inch rims.

@smit2100 thanks for the advice re APR chips.  More than enough for now, but maybe some time down the track I will look into the Cobb/Markski options.

No handheld APR unit, but that's on the to do list for near term, along with some Zunsport grills.  

Boost peaks at 1.0bar, with the majority of the WOT boost doing 0.8 bar pretty consistently.  Not sure whether that's good or not.

The sway bar looks stock, and toe links etc don't appear modified to me - will have another inspection next time I raise the hoist.

On 05/04/2020 at 08:08, flamingporsche said:

Not worried about the cost. Just recognising there's a paper loss that was unexpected 2 months ago when I bought her.  This is a long term hold & enjoy.  The smiles valuation offsets any paper losses.  Like I justified to my missus - rather have six figures sitting in the garage to enjoy than in the bank getting next to no return.

I should clarify with respect to the extras... I knew it had the Billies, it wasn't until I asked for a clearance measurement for the transport that the PO goes "oh it's got air suspsension and the height is xx cm with it lifted"!!  He said it had a "stainless exhaust" which usually means a local muffler shop jobbie.  But definitely no mention of 19" rims or the chip. 

I think that I have sussed out the rims as Avant Garde Ruger Mesh rims - super nice.

@smit2100 thanks for the advice re APR chips.  More than enough for now, but maybe some time down the track I will look into the Cobb/Markski options.

No handheld APR unit, but that's on the to do list for near term, along with some Zunsport grills.  

Boost peaks at 1.0bar, with the majority of the WOT boost doing 0.8 bar pretty consistently.  Not sure whether that's good or not.

The sway bar looks stock, and toe links etc don't appear modified to me - will have another inspection next time I raise the hoist.

Generally 1 bar is an off the shelf tune and 1.2 to 1.3 plus more of a custom tune to suit your mods.   Just keep an eye on a bit off excessive tyre wear running lower on the  coilovers and not much toe adjustment.    Good to see your hitting 1 bar and consistently 0.8, no doubt mostly in third.    0.8 to 1.0 is a sign of no boost leaks and perhaps a few adrenaline hits.