993 Cab and Targa - coming up for auction soon - Tassie

TwoHeadsTas

Spied a small part of something interesting in the background of a photo I was looking at during the week with Tullochs Auctions in Launceston, so I wandered in today to check it out.  Surprised that it wasn't one of the 2 x 930s I have heard will be auctioned by them at some stage, but instead what I had seen was the front guard and wheel of a 993 Targa, and lo and behold there was also a 993 Cab and a 97 or 98 Boxster (under a cover but I could see the orange of the front indicator and feel the air intake in the side).

They are claiming the Targa is super rare but I have no idea on that front, but it looks very much unloved and would need a heap of rubbers and seals replacing, and a repaint job (lots of peeling paint patches).  They aren't ready for listing yet, but I am happy to check back in over the coming weeks to take photos and check out other details  of either car for anyone that is interested.  Sorry, was also in a rush to get to another appointment and didn't even take note of whether they were manual or tip, although the Targa did look to be a wide body.....

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't classify a 993 Targa as "Super rare", however definitely not common. It is essentially a cab with a roof built by Webasto. Complex and expensive should anything go wrong. I would imagine prices should sit between a cab and a coupe. 

3 hours ago, T-Man said:

Wouldn't classify a 993 Targa as "Super rare", however definitely not common. It is essentially a cab with a roof built by Webasto. Complex and expensive should anything go wrong. I would imagine prices should sit between a cab and a coupe. 

Looks similar to the 996 Targa mechanism, so presume the potential problems are similar and expensive to fix.  Even if they are rare, doesn't mean they should automatically have a price premium - refer discussions on 996.1 GT3 Comfort v Clubsport - 13 vs 77 imported to oz