R Compound tyres.

Skidmarks

I need some advice.  

I’ve got a set of Zuffenhaus 17” Fuchs reps.   8’s and 9’s.  I’m looking for the best R compound tyres that might fit. 

They’ll be on the 3.9 IROC .   

The idea is to use them on hillclimbs and events where the Hoosiers won’t get up to temp quickly enough.  It’s been a long time since I’ve used R rubber so any tips and leads are welcome.  

I've found toyo r888r to be good (very predictable, lots of communication & no sudden snap away) but most say the AO50's are both slightly stickier and longer wearing.  I'll be ordering some r888r from england shortly purely because I've been happy with them so happy to roll again - plus outright performance/grip is not so important when paired with a standard SC motor.   (Toyo seem to have no interest in r spec tyres in aus anymore so it's easier to go os for 17s)

35 minutes ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

I've found toyo r888r to be good (very predictable, lots of communication & no sudden snap away) but most say the AO50's are both slightly stickier and longer wearing.  I'll be ordering some r888r from england shortly purely because I've been happy with them so happy to roll again - plus outright performance/grip is not so important when paired with a standard SC motor.   (Toyo seem to have no interest in r spec tyres in aus anymore so it's easier to go os for 17s)

You could corner that SC even harder on some Advans. ;)

On 22/02/2020 at 19:21, James P said:

For hill climbs i would use a fresh set of Yokohama A050 in soft compound.. I don't know any other R spec tyre that is softer or has more grip from cold 

Agree the A050's are GUN! 

I run mixed compounds, Soft Front & Medium Rear... it still tears the rears up well before the fronts, but a little more even than when I ran soft/soft compounds... cannot say I notice a huge variance in grip levels either way, I'd say go all soft too for hill climb.

18 hours ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

I (respectfully) say maintain the blissful ignorance about the R888 as long as you can. Once you go yoko you'll never go back :)

1 hour ago, spiller said:

I (respectfully) say maintain the blissful ignorance about the R888 as long as you can. Once you go yoko you'll never go back :)

Fair enough & I'm not obligated to use toyo so perhaps I should try a set of AO50's sooner rather than later....

• 1 year later...

Can't help with those sizes but I did some research on the AO52s which you might know about in any case, but they seem to be a little wider and taller than other makes in the same size so the 235 will be more like a 245 and the 295 more like a 305. Otherwise they get a very good wet and dry performance review. 

You might also consider the Dunlop Direzza ZIII, look to be very similar concept tyre, also a hybrid road/track tyre.  Perhaps this oversize is a thing with these tyres, the ZIIIs also measure wider than their size indicates.  Have been very happy with them on my 996.1 GT3 18's 8" and 10"

yeah I'm coming from 19" AR-01 which are excellent in the dry, but shocking in the wet!!!

I'd thought about going straight to A050 but seeing all the Lotus boys froth at the A052 and that they can go wider in the A052 maybe thats the go....

Ive spent many an hour going over the rolling circumference data trying to make sure I won't upset the ABS!  

Yes, in a sense you are getting free rubber with the AO52s and the tread pattern should not be so noisey and safer in the rain than the 50. Will be interested to hear how you find them fitment wise and durablity. I've read they don't last as long as say a Cup 2 but similar to other semi-slicks, but then that really seems to depend on how much camber you have. 

From what I've seen you can easily go one diameter size down and not upset the ABS and/or go a little larger on the front for more width if need.

The other good option IMO is the Trofeo R but no free rubber with their sizing! 

37 minutes ago, donR said:

Yes, in a sense you are getting free rubber with the AO52s and the tread pattern should not be so noisey and safer in the rain than the 50. Will be interested to hear how you find them fitment wise and durablity. I've read they don't last as long as say a Cup 2 but similar to other semi-slicks, but then that really seems to depend on how much camber you have. 

From what I've seen you can easily go one diameter size down and not upset the ABS and/or go a little larger on the front for more width if need.

The other good option IMO is the Trofeo R but no free rubber with their sizing! 

I've run Trofeo R before, and while they are excellent, they exhibit thermal deg problems after only a couple of heat cycles they are done..... and expensive!!!! the AR1 while a low treadwear number is pretty good for what it is. 

Im keen to see how this supposedly slower 200 treadwear tyre goes!  

4 hours ago, williamsf1 said:

yeah I'm coming from 19" AR-01 which are excellent in the dry, but shocking in the wet!!!

I'd thought about going straight to A050 but seeing all the Lotus boys froth at the A052 and that they can go wider in the A052 maybe thats the go....

Ive spent many an hour going over the rolling circumference data trying to make sure I won't upset the ABS!  

The better compound will more than make up for the lesser width.

In a car like the GT3 where you can get enough camber to have an A050 work it's a no brainer to me.

I take my A050's to wet track days and love driving on them provided they aren't close to the cords.

10 minutes ago, hugh said:

+1. A052's are ok road tyres but not a shadow on an 050, especially if you intend to track it. 

In addition to my Direzza DZIIIs on my road wheels, which I would use where I have a distance to drive to a track (eg to Luftwasser or Cars & Cabernet where weather conditions would be unknown),  I do have a set of A050's on some Speedline wheels for track use, which I'll look to use next clubday I attend (hopefully soon, I've been holding off until my clutch is changed, which is happening at the moment).

19 minutes ago, hugh said:

+1. A052's are ok road tyres but not a shadow on an 050, especially if you intend to track it. 

will be interesting to back to back them..... We got smashed by cars on A052 in some wet stages in the Adelaide Rally! Once dry we were winning again.

I'll run the A052 and then go again on the A050 and make a call, just worried if its wet again :o