Had a look at a 928 today

earemike

Hi all,

looked at a 928 today and was hoping for some guidance (I’m thinking this one is not for me but would like to learn for next time).

vin under the bonnet had been sprayed over so I’m assuming it’s had front end panel work?

the drivers side windscreen trim appeared to be out of alignment at the front of the door, I’m assuming bent or broken clips? Perhaps after a windscreen replacement?

rust bubble (not quite 20 cent piece) at the rear of the drivers side sill - I assume this means crud from under the rear wheel arch has led to a fair bit of damage under the skin?

I’ll seek guidance locally on the current rate for timing belt and water pump - for next time!

appreciate any guidance you choose to offer.

Mike

What model/ year did you look at? Paint over the VIN (or any part) would indicate some form of repair, to what extent may be unknown, ask the seller if they know?

Rust would be unusual for an Aussie car (although all cars can rust in the right (wrong) environment), due to the galvanised body.

Timing belt/ water pump - presume you mean for someone to supply and install for you? Not sure on that, but if you are handy with the spanners it is very do-able. Parts alone (depending on what you replace and whether you go genuine or aftermarket) should be under $1000, labour?? Where is Murray Bridge? 

There is a vast array of 928s for sale at the moment in both condition and price. Sort out which model you want, drive a few, ask local owners and get checked out properly.

Great cars!!

Thanks for the info, I’m sure some of you are sick of seeing the same new guy posts (I did search). 

Seen some nice cars here but my partner has other priorities, will have to work on that budget!

Murray Bridge is near the end of the Murray River, SA. Rural city they call it...

Compared to a 911 may be complex, but most others cars, not. Biggest problem with a lot of cars (any older car) is lack of regular maintenance.

The cheaper the cars became the more chance maintenance was defered!

Don't worry, there are some good ones out there! 😎 

The desire and want just need to overcome any perceived short comings (real or otherwise) 😁