I bought a new battery. I’m not sold... opinions?

I like to use Centaury batteries where possible, however will lean toward other brand name batteries over SCA types.  Like everything, difficult to know if you are buying a sticker or improved quality.  What is it about your current battery you don't like?  Is it the correct size for your 997?

Battery World Battery had it in the car for 5 years only just replaced with the same type again ,,,,,,,,,,,trickly charger is key to battery long life and 997 ,as they use substantial battery power just sitting around doing nothing with all the electronics onboard...

Also 997 series cars suffer from slow cranking issues especially when its hot after a period of around ten years ,,,very common issue require the the battery alternator starter cable to be replaced ,,,,see link below for details ,,,not sure if this effects Turbo cars but is a common problem with NA engine cars eg Carrera and Carrera S

82553CF3-B900-445F-AEF9-847E54EB2C66.thumb.jpeg.a1b784a3652025e0693b16fd543347ab.jpeg

49 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

Same battery I installed in the 930.  Interesting that the salesman said not to have it on a trickle charger for long periods.

I only use my car on weekends and some times it can be two weeks in between drives if  life gets to busy  ,,,I have always had mine on a trickle charger as I know 997 chew the Battery power quickly ,when ever you open the door you can hear lots of little noises going on as electronic things get ready to start up the car ,all sorts of sensors and things working prior to start up ..

5 years out of the previous Battery is a good life span for a Car battery ,,,I put it down to the trickly charger .

ironically when I recently purchased the new replacement battery the sales guy saw the purchase date 5 years prior on his sales computer for the previous battery and asked if I drove the car daily or had a trickle charger .

My answer weekend car and trickle charger only do around 3500 klm a year ,,his reply keep doing what your doing obviously works for long battery life ..

I've never trickle charged my batteries. I don't drive my Porsches that often theses days so after every drive I just disconnect the earth lead.

I have gone for months without driving one of them and the car started easily.

Having said that mine aren't new models therefore late model Porsches may require continual power to their electrics.

3 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Interesting that the salesman said not to have it on a trickle charger for long periods.

I think there is trickle charging and trickle charging.  I think the old days of a trickle charger boiling away the electrolyte are long gone with modern multistage chargers now being norm.

21 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Same battery I installed in the 930.  Interesting that the salesman said not to have it on a trickle charger for long periods.

My wife’s chrysler still has its original 2005 battery still going strong and it has been hooked up to a projecta trickle charger since  a month after purchase as the car doesn’t get used often and it does drain if not Hooked up, can’t see it lasting forever, but 16 years and counting and it still tests OK 

4 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

My wife’s chrysler still has its original 2005 battery still going strong and it has been hooked up to a projecta trickle charger since  a month after purchase as the car doesn’t get used often and it does drain if not Hooked up, can’t see it lasting forever, but 16 years and counting and it still tests OK 

Yep, like a good red blooded bloke, I ignored him.

One of the biggest enemies to battery longevity, in a car that is not used a lot, is the electric clock.  Trickle drain apparently coats the plates with calcium and cannot be recharged.  My son proved this theory with a  new battery in his Prelude.

3 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Yep, like a good red blooded bloke, I ignored him.

One of the biggest enemies to battery longevity, in a car that is not used a lot, is the electric clock.  Trickle drain apparently coats the plates with calcium and cannot be recharged.  My son proved this theory with a  new battery in his Prelude.

Good man, treat all advice as bullshit until proven otherwise 

On 29/02/2020 at 04:59, Raven said:

Battery World Battery had it in the car for 5 years only just replaced with the same type again ,,,,,,,,,,,trickly charger is key to battery long life and 997 ,as they use substantial battery power just sitting around doing nothing with all the electronics onboard...

Also 997 series cars suffer from slow cranking issues especially when its hot after a period of around ten years ,,,very common issue require the the battery alternator starter cable to be replaced ,,,,see link below for details ,,,not sure if this effects Turbo cars but is a common problem with NA engine cars eg Carrera and Carrera S

82553CF3-B900-445F-AEF9-847E54EB2C66.thumb.jpeg.a1b784a3652025e0693b16fd543347ab.jpeg

This could very much be my issue. I can’t put my finger on it but It just isn’t as eager to crank & fire than I’m used to with my more modern other cars. Anyone heard of Delkor batteries?

it really was a case of that or nothing as it was all the battery store stocked.

5E5ADDF4-466D-4324-B99A-6E6B30DDB375.jpeg

That battery should be more than up to the job its specs are more than my battery world version , providing it is at full charge ..

My thoughts are starter motor and or the starter alternator cable ,,,but I would confirm with someone who knows the Turbo 997 better as its engine is a proper GT based Mezger engine and is different to my M97 ,,I can not see any write ups online regarding your Turbo having this hot start  issue that the naturally aspirated Carrera,s have .

There is also a positive power terminal bolt that goes through the cars front bulk head from the front trunk to behind the HVAC system ,,,this can get surface rush on the terminal and create a voltage drop off from the battery to the the starter motor and the cars electrical systems .

But Again I know this can be a issue with NA carrera,s but am not certain it effects the turbo 997 cars due to there being major differences to the standard Carrera  ....???

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/986396-997-1-c2s-hot-start-slow-crank-finally-resolved.html

Delkor Calcium 58012 Specs

Model: 58012
CCA:
770 A
AH(20HR):
80 Ah
RC:
140 Min
Post Type: STD
Polarity:
L ( - , +)
Length:
277 mm
Width:
174 mm
Height:
188 mm

• 2 months later...

Update.

it was the power cables.

Got it back from service today where both ground and power cables replaced as Raven mentioned above, it’s cranking so much better now. 

the connectors used are designed to be fast for factory assembly but over time they loose contact with corrosion. 

thanks for the input. Happy to have it sorted.