Current Insurance Landscape..

JB

Is Enthusiast still only covering listed drivers? Part of the ownership experience of my cars for me is sharing the driving experience with others...

All my cars are with Famous. Have though recently heard that their underwriter RACQ have forced them to increase premiums; will confirm if true when my next policy is due.

2 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Is Enthusiast still only covering listed drivers? Part of the ownership experience of my cars for me is sharing the driving experience with others...

All my cars are with Famous. Have though recently heard that their underwriter RACQ have forced them to increase premiums; will confirm if true when my next policy is due.

Yes

3 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

It's true about Famous

Been with them for several years. Shannons could only beat my daily and ended up going with Ryno for the P-Cars

Looks like I will be checking Ryno next.

I have been with Ryno for 944S2, a 3.2 and a daily.

With Ryno's new underwriter, they won't insure my daily and Shannons was better for the 3.2

Shannons price to insure the S2 was double the price of the 3.2 :wacko:, seems odd for a car worth less than half, I think age related.  The S2 remains with Ryno, 3.2 with Shannons and daily with AAMI.

7 hours ago, Stepo said:

I have been with Ryno for 944S2, a 3.2 and a daily.

With Ryno's new underwriter, they won't insure my daily and Shannons was better for the 3.2

Shannons price to insure the S2 was double the price of the 3.2 :wacko:, seems odd for a car worth less than half, I think age related.  The S2 remains with Ryno, 3.2 with Shannons and daily with AAMI.

An S2 ain't that much older than a 3.2, in fact it could be younger than a 3.2.

12 minutes ago, Stepo said:

^ 100% correct, my S2 (89) is younger than my 3.2 (85).

The Shannons rep told me the S2 didn’t fall into their “classic” range, therefore didn’t get classic rates.

Shannons just quoted me $517 ($320 for club rego) for an '89 S2 and specifically told me it was a 'classic'... 

1 hour ago, Fishcop said:

Shannons just quoted me $517 ($320 for club rego) for an '89 S2 and specifically told me it was a 'classic'... 

12 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

The thing that's bloody frustrating is the inconsistency between the companies!!!

Or even inconsistency within the one company, I was quoted over $1000 on club reg for an 89 S2

On 10 June 2020 at 18:57, TINGY996 said:

Enthusiast ins, agreed value 60k, $90 odd a month, 1k excess, seems like i am doing ok compared to some, oh, 10,000km a year.

Just did an online quote with Enthuiast.  Max agreed value is $52,800,  and with 1k excess and 10,000km a year it came in at around $75 per month. Anyone ever had any dealings with claims from Enthuiast?  Hope I never need to claim but just in case.......

2 minutes ago, Stepo said:

Or even inconsistency within the one company, I was quoted over $1000 on club reg for an 89 S2

For consistency, I'm over 50 with zero infringements or claims in 33 years of driving (more good luck than good management) and located regionally.  But I stopped using Shannons years ago because of the attitude of one too many of their 'consultants' when I was doing my yearly insurance ring around. 

19 minutes ago, Stepo said:

Or even inconsistency within the one company

This is the worst part.  One year premiums are fair, then they change underwriting rules, and the next thing the premium goes haywire  :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

The thing that's bloody frustrating is the inconsistency between the companies!!!

Also the inconsistency between ‘consultants ‘ from the same company ... beggars belief 

Currently have a variety of cars and motorbikes , which with Shannons and have been with them for years. I get discounts for qty, though very limited use kilometres. While they’ve been very good with the few claims I’ve had over the years, am about to shop round for comparison.

anyone has a good news story ?

On 27/04/2020 at 22:19, hugh said:

Not quite following this. Shannon’s provide choice of repairer so you can pick the most expensive panel shop in the world if you like.

Agree,

though in 2017 with my S4, got a fair bit of grief with one particular Shannons consultant who decided to instruct me as to where the car would be taken for assessment despite my repeated insistence, over many days and calls,  it be transported to Canberra 

Has been an interesting week.  Got quotes from Shannon's, Porsche Insurance an RAA and all between $1320 (Porsche Insurance) and $1650.  Lumley was around $2500.  Got a quote from Enthusiast at around $800 for 8000km a year, choice of repairer but did not want the wreck etc, so looked like Enthusiast was the way to go.

Then today, 2 weeks before the insurance expires a tradie in a 4X4 came around a corner, was not looking and came over into my lane and hit me basically head on.  Luckily I saw it coming and had stopped and he was only going 15-20kmh (20 km zone at airport) so low speed impact but 4x4 vs 996 - the 4x4 will always win!

went to a repairer who does all MB and Porsche work in Adelaide before I rang the Insurer (Porsche Insurance) and after doing the police report.  Rang Porsche Insurance to report and they advise they have "a preferred repairer" in ADL that I needed to take it to.  Now my policy states that I have the choice of repairer, so I was prepared to have a "discussion" on the repairer, so asked who their preferred repairer was......same one Who does the Porsche work so happy days!

sent me the claim form, within 10 min, gave me a claim number and said all good to go once assessor sees it at the repairer at my convenience( I can still drive the car).  Really easy process and great service from Porsche Insurance.

Think I might stick with Porsche Insurance despite the cost difference! 

Car looks a bit sad though!

11 hours ago, PhilH said:

Has been an interesting week.  Got quotes from Shannon's, Porsche Insurance an RAA and all between $1320 (Porsche Insurance) and $1650.  Lumley was around $2500.  Got a quote from Enthusiast at around $800 for 8000km a year, choice of repairer but did not want the wreck etc, so looked like Enthusiast was the way to go.

Then today, 2 weeks before the insurance expires a tradie in a 4X4 came around a corner, was not looking and came over into my lane and hit me basically head on.  Luckily I saw it coming and had stopped and he was only going 15-20kmh (20 km zone at airport) so low speed impact but 4x4 vs 996 - the 4x4 will always win!

went to a repairer who does all MB and Porsche work in Adelaide before I rang the Insurer (Porsche Insurance) and after doing the police report.  Rang Porsche Insurance to report and they advise they have "a preferred repairer" in ADL that I needed to take it to.  Now my policy states that I have the choice of repairer, so I was prepared to have a "discussion" on the repairer, so asked who their preferred repairer was......same one Who does the Porsche work so happy days!

sent me the claim form, within 10 min, gave me a claim number and said all good to go once assessor sees it at the repairer at my convenience( I can still drive the car).  Really easy process and great service from Porsche Insurance.

Think I might stick with Porsche Insurance despite the cost difference! 

Car looks a bit sad though!

Sorry to hear the news but I'm glad you are ok. 

Thanks for sharing this as it really illustrates the point of premium vs the co-operation when needing to make a claim. I get a few hundred dollars can seem like a lot when comparing yearly premiums but when it comes time to claim (and get the repairs done properly) that's when you get to know who you are dealing with. 

No point in having insurance in the first place if it's not going to serve you in the event that you are relying on it. 

That dent I got in the back of my 997 from some moron in a car park I still haven’t sorted for this reason. The car was insured through Youi with choice of repairer. Good luck though trying to claim on it. All they say is the scope of works is excessive and you need to take it somewhere else. I could take them to court I spose but it isn’t worth my time.

^^^ that’s interesting feedback. You never really know how good their promises are until you claim. That’s disappointing re choice of repairer as it’s an important consideration for me with a special vehicle. 

Have a number of cars and bikes with Shannon’s. The bulk discount seems decent. Happy to ensure modified cars and cover the mods.  And on the odd occasion I have had to claim they have been very good to deal with. Although that would have been close to 10 years ago so not sure if that side of the business has changed in that time. 

3 hours ago, sleazius said:

That dent I got in the back of my 997 from some moron in a car park I still haven’t sorted for this reason. The car was insured through Youi with choice of repairer. Good luck though trying to claim on it. All they say is the scope of works is excessive and you need to take it somewhere else. I could take them to court I spose but it isn’t worth my time.

My experience of youi from a victims point. My wife’s  2yo MB was backed into by a guy who left a note admitting liability with his details & apology. I contacted him, nice guy, gave me his youi claim number so I could claim against them. They initially disputed the claim until I sent them the note, I had our car assessed by my repairer, about $3,500. Youi came back with their estimate of $1,200, based on used parts from a wrecker. Eventually went through my insurance to get the repairs done with new parts. My insurer (ALLIANZ) claimed against youi who fought the claim for 12 months, eventually it ended up in the tribunal where youi lost. 
imagine if it had been a large claim, youi, NO THANKS!!!!!!