Current Insurance Landscape..

JB

3 hours ago, sleazius said:

That dent I got in the back of my 997 from some moron in a car park I still haven’t sorted for this reason. The car was insured through Youi with choice of repairer. Good luck though trying to claim on it. All they say is the scope of works is excessive and you need to take it somewhere else. I could take them to court I spose but it isn’t worth my time.

I must admit to a mixed experience with Youi as a policy owner - but for a yacht, not a car.

My little syndicate bought a 30' yacht in Sydney, had it trucked to Yaringa in Melb, to then be sailed back to Tassie across Bass Strait.  As we had our existing yacht with Youi, we insured the new boat with them as well.  Although we had not paid as much, we insured for $25k which was a reasonable value for an equivalent yacht.

Well, on the delivery trip back, the guys (I wasn't on board) had a problem and the boat sprang a big leak 30 or 40 NM out into Bass Strait.  Problem with the motor shaft most likely.  Anyway, the boat sunk and the guys were rescued by Air Ambulance choppper, with Police chopper looking on.

Pay out for the $25k was no problem, and very quick.  They only thing the assessor wanted to check was the value, and a few comparisons on BoatSales established we had put a fair value on it.  Then we received 3 x $10,500 bills from Ambulance Vic for the rescue!!!  Went back to Youi and the operator, with approval from a supervisor said they would cover $25k under the Salvage provision of the policy.  Ok, so we would be $6500 out of pocket, probably reasonable.  2nd lot of $25k paid to us, then a day later the phone call "We made a mistake, shouldn't have paid the money, please repay it...."  In the meantime the guys looked further into the ambulance side of things, and found out that Ambulance Tas have a reciprocal coverage agreement with Vic (Tas doesn't have Ambulance Subscriptions like Vic does), so we were able to get the bills set aside.  On that basis I repaid the money to Youi, but suspect we might have had a fight otherwise..

Anyway, I guess the moral is, if you're with Youi, make sure you have an agreed value, and if you have a claim, make sure it is a total writeoff claim!!

BTW, the insurance on our other boat, which we still have, didn't increase as a result of the claim, and we're still covered for a yacht on a swing mooring, which is otherwise virtually impossible to get, as other yacht club members with boats in the same mooring area have found.....

3 hours ago, sleazius said:

That dent I got in the back of my 997 from some moron in a car park I still haven’t sorted for this reason. The car was insured through Youi with choice of repairer. Good luck though trying to claim on it. All they say is the scope of works is excessive and you need to take it somewhere else. I could take them to court I spose but it isn’t worth my time.

You don’t need to take them to court. They will all be part of an independent dispute resolution scheme which I think is free, fairly simple and usually done without lawyers.  Youi looks to be part of AFCA: https://www.youi.com.au/handling-your-complaint

Just reading this thread and thought I'd share my experience with Shannons all should I say an un-named Porsche Approved Repair Center. 

I've been with Shannons for maybe 15 years or so so I seem to get a good deal with them with no motor vehicle claims in the past. We did claim a few things in a storm a few years ago on our house which was no issue for them. Kids trampoline, fence and tree removal.  

On my 2019 Porsche Cayman GTS Shannons were $400 to $1000 cheaper than other insurers so I didn't feel the need to change. I did check with Youi out of interest and they were significantly cheaper but never rung back as they said they needed to check with management. 

However, it turns out a few years ago Shannons was bought out by Suncorp so this has changed things a bit, in that it can now affect your choice of repairer.

Last year I had a minor rear ender requiring a new rear bumper. I went to my local Porsche Approved Repairer and they would not accept my car due to being insured with Shannons stating that Shannons would reject their quote. On this occassion it didn't matter as I just went through the other persons insurance (a work car) who were insured with Auto General. 

To cut a long story short in this case I could not have choice of repairer with Shannons. However, this is not to say that Shannons would not accept other repairers quotes but Shannons do now have their "preferrer repairers" which could be just as good as the Porsche specalists. 

What my Porsche Approved Repairer did say is to try to insurer with the IAG group of insurers and tick choice of repairerer. Even Coles insurance is fine and includes other big names like NRMA, etc.

Have I switched insurers? No, as I don't daily my car and really never have accidents touch wood but it is something to think about if you are fussy about your potential repairer. 

On 18 June 2020 at 21:04, PhilH said:

Has been an interesting week.  Got quotes from Shannon's, Porsche Insurance an RAA and all between $1320 (Porsche Insurance) and $1650.  Lumley was around $2500.  Got a quote from Enthusiast at around $800 for 8000km a year, choice of repairer but did not want the wreck etc, so looked like Enthusiast was the way to go.

Then today, 2 weeks before the insurance expires a tradie in a 4X4 came around a corner, was not looking and came over into my lane and hit me basically head on.  Luckily I saw it coming and had stopped and he was only going 15-20kmh (20 km zone at airport) so low speed impact but 4x4 vs 996 - the 4x4 will always win!

went to a repairer who does all MB and Porsche work in Adelaide before I rang the Insurer (Porsche Insurance) and after doing the police report.  Rang Porsche Insurance to report and they advise they have "a preferred repairer" in ADL that I needed to take it to.  Now my policy states that I have the choice of repairer, so I was prepared to have a "discussion" on the repairer, so asked who their preferred repairer was......same one Who does the Porsche work so happy days!

sent me the claim form, within 10 min, gave me a claim number and said all good to go once assessor sees it at the repairer at my convenience( I can still drive the car).  Really easy process and great service from Porsche Insurance.

Think I might stick with Porsche Insurance despite the cost difference! 

Car looks a bit sad though!

Further update. The repairer rang me yesterday asking if I could bring the car in today as the assessor would be there so arranged a 9am appointment. Got there 10 min early, assessor was already there, has a 5 min look at the car came back in and said all approved and car booked in for 06th July.

First claim I have made for over 40 years so nothing to compare against other that what others have gone through, but can say the whole experience was quick, easy and very professional from Porsche Insurance and their underwriters MB Insurance.

would recommend them anytime based on this experience.

As much as I was wanting to keep everything with Shannons, just insured the wifes new XC90 with NRMA. Best cover I could find with all the boxes ticked inc New for Old replacement if written off inside 2yrs, Choice of repairer, Hire Car, Windscreen Cover, $850 XS etc. Came in at $2K based on market value of $94,600.

I'll try talking to Shannons one more time as they are my preferred, but I've got cover in place at least for the next 21 days before payment is due.

On 24/06/2020 at 13:20, Nikos said:

As much as I was wanting to keep everything with Shannons, just insured the wifes new XC90 with NRMA. Best cover I could find with all the boxes ticked inc New for Old replacement if written off inside 2yrs, Choice of repairer, Hire Car, Windscreen Cover, $850 XS etc. Came in at $2K based on market value of $94,600.

I'll try talking to Shannons one more time as they are my preferred, but I've got cover in place at least for the next 21 days before payment is due.

Did you try MB Insurance?  I think they are great and also the Porsche Insurance underwriters.  I have both my cars (MB and Porsche) with them and premiums are very competitive, agreed value and choice of repairer too.

I've actually never heard of them. Are they up there with Shannons in terms of reputation should I ever need to make a claim. I've never made a claim, but want to know I won't have issues if I ever do. I'll send off an enquiry for a quote and see how I go.

3 hours ago, Nikos said:

I've actually never heard of them. Are they up there with Shannons in terms of reputation should I ever need to make a claim. I've never made a claim, but want to know I won't have issues if I ever do. I'll send off an enquiry for a quote and see how I go.

If you take out Porsche insurance when you buy a new car MB Insurance are the underwriters who provide the cover.  They also cover other premium brands.  They are very picky who they insure and what cars they insure to keep the premiums low.  If you are a high risk then high quote.  Low risk equals low milage cars, premium brand, low claims record, good driving record, car garaged over night, live in good area and mature age driver, equals excellent premium.  Tick all those boxes and your are in with a good quote.  Higher risk equals a cross in any of the specifics I have mentioned.

54 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

If you take out Porsche insurance when you buy a new car MB Insurance are the underwriters who provide the cover.  They also cover other premium brands.  They are very picky who they insure and what cars they insure to keep the premiums low.  If you are a high risk then high quote.  Low risk equals low milage cars, premium brand, low claims record, good driving record, car garaged over night, live in good area and mature age driver, equals excellent premium.  Tick all those boxes and your are in with a good quote.  Higher risk equals a cross in any of the specifics I have mentioned.

If you go MB direct do you avoid the $200 broker fee that Porsche Insurance charges?

Wow, just got a quote back from MB this morning. Similar XS to NRMA and came back at $3,600 compared to $2,005. I'd like to think I tick all the boxes regarding good driving and claims history, 46yrs old etc. Even Shannons were aprox $2,300. I was actually surprised it only cost $2K to insure a $95K car which is used as a daily.

Looks like I'll be paying the NRMA quote today before I forget. The XC90 seems like alot of car and looks the part. Picked it up on Friday and the dealer said Volvo have just come out with a 5yr pre-paid service plan. Probably to line up with their new 5yr warranty? 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the heads up from all who recommended Enthusiast insurance ,,,I got the shock of my life yesterday when my renewal with Famous arrived and it had gone for $1500 a year to $5500 ,,contacted them about the over inflated price rise and they started crying about the company who underwrites them raising premiums ..

I told them the 300% plus price hike just dont cut it considering my no claims and perfect driving record  :angry:

Enthusiast insurance can give me market value and 2000 Klm a year of Driving for $1350 ..

Thumbs up for  Enthusiast insurance  :Beer:

51 minutes ago, Raven said:

Thanks for the heads up from all who recommended Enthusiast insurance ,,,I got the shock of my life yesterday when my renewal with Famous arrived and it had gone for $1500 a year to $5500 ,,contacted them about the over inflated price rise and they started crying about the company who underwrites them raising premiums ..

I told them the 300% plus price hike just dont cut it considering my no claims and perfect driving record  :angry:

Enthusiast insurance can give me market value and 2000 Klm a year of Driving for $1350 ..

Thumbs up for  Enthusiast insurance  :Beer:

Geez Raven bet you had to read that a few times in disbelief what a hefty spike. I think they must be facing some losses so as usual up go the premiums, or as is their custom, never let a good crisis go to waste! My Landlord Policy and another home policy arrived today and both around a 20% hike:angry:

7 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Geez Raven bet you had to read that a few times in disbelief what a hefty spike. I think they must be facing some losses so as usual up go the premiums, or as is their custom, never let a good crisis go to waste! My Landlord Policy and another home policy arrived today and both around a 20% hike:angry:

Try MB Insurance Group for car.  Agreed value plus choice of repairer plus klm limits to reduce premium and good excess.  For Landlord insurance try Terri Sheer they were good for my insurance on the rental.  AAMI and QBE for Home Insurance.  I just did home insurance 1 Aug.   QBE came in best but AAMI gave me a loyalty discount for 15 years with them when I said QBE were better.  Did not match but were close with the discount

4 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Yeh I could understand a few hundred dollars higher ,but not $4000 ,,,,,I even went and checked my licence online thinking some thing was wrong and my licence was cancelled or something like that ..,

After contacting them and asking for a reason ,they cried about their underwriter blah blah blah ..Even NRMA could do it for under $3000 and they are notorious for being pricey ...???

As I said to the fellow on the Phone Famous should be encouraging long term loyal customers especially in these times of uncertainty ,,,ultimately they are the one who will go out of business if they are not competitive ...

On 20/08/2020 at 17:19, Raven said:

Thanks for the heads up from all who recommended Enthusiast insurance ,,,I got the shock of my life yesterday when my renewal with Famous arrived and it had gone for $1500 a year to $5500

All my cars are insured with Famous at the moment... Scared what I'll see when the next policy is due!

8 minutes ago, Dalai said:

All my cars are insured with Famous at the moment... Scared what I'll see when the next policy is due!

I was with them for 5 years and the insurance was always similar each year with only small increases that you expect ,,but this increase is outrageous and unjustified  ,,, hope they dont hit you as hard as me .. good_mini.gif

59 minutes ago, Philbee said:

For what it’s worth.... Famous quoted me just a week ago $2500 for my 2008 boxster s which is dead stock, no mods, <5k kms. Whereas Enthusiast has quoted me about $800.

Signed up.

When I got a quote from Famous it was also ridiculous. The fellow was telling me that they had quite a few claims and the underwriters have penalised them for it and raised prices ...

Sounds like they're going to either need a new underwriter or be prepared to close the doors ... it'll be impossible to remain in business with such a discrepancy in prices.  😪

3 hours ago, Philbee said:

Whereas Enthusiast has quoted me about $800.

Signed up.

My 911 in Feb went from around $650 to something like $725. May have snuck in just prior to the avalanche?

My biggest concern with Enthusiast was it only covered listed drivers. Not sure if that has changed since I checked earlier in the year...

25 minutes ago, Diamond911 said:

Currently with Famous for both the 911 and the 928.  Received the renewal and they have increased by 79% and 77% respectively.  Time to start shopping around I guess. My problem is as always I've left it 1 day before the renewal !

Thats mad. Wonder why that is. My premiums with them have only risen about 5% on average.

38 minutes ago, reggiegums said:

Thats mad. Wonder why that is. My premiums with them have only risen about 5% on average.

Agreed. But as mentioned above, they said that as of 1 January this year they have a new underwriter with a different cost structure. They wont budge on the proposed renewal figures either.  They seem happy for existing customers to go elsewhere, which just seems crazy if they need a larger clientele to spread their underwriters price increase more thinly. Go figure!

On 21/08/2020 at 16:49, Raven said:

I was with them for 5 years and the insurance was always similar each year with only small increases that you expect ,,but this increase is outrageous and unjustified  ,,, hope they dont hit you as hard as me .. good_mini.gif

Raven, who did you swap to if you don't mind me asking?  Edit. Looks like you went with Enthusiast Insurance.

2 hours ago, Diamond911 said:

Currently with Famous for both the 911 and the 928.  Received the renewal and they have increased by 79% and 77% respectively.  Time to start shopping around I guess. My problem is as always I've left it 1 day before the renewal !

Try Shannons for the A/C 911 and Ryno for the 928