Coronavirus - what do you think?

1 hour ago, 3legs said:

Well some good news (sort of).

I've have a small private super fund ( MLC ) that is basically used to fund my daughters education (plus to fund any news toys I might come across but don't tell her that 😁 ) and I have lost $20k in 2 weeks.

For the first time it went up today , only by $2k but hey it's a start.

Is it a sign the market has started to recover? Who knows.

Maybe someone in the industry can give their opinion as I am no financial adviser that is for sure.

If you don;t sell, you haven't lost anything!!!  Time is your friend, just ride it out....

I work with a lot of Chinese people.  The call went out for anyone with masks etc. to donate the supplies.  They all responded with boxes of the stuff.  It was very surprising to me.   It shouldn’t be as we all saw the baby formula buying a few years back.  They are used to shortages and hoard as a consequence. I think they were all happy to help donate and do something.   I think people tend to forget China is a communist country and while it produces more stuff than the soviets ever managed doesn’t mean you get to buy whatever you want whenever you want.  The government still has massive control over people.

Also the Chinese case statistics are about as believable as the s Tiananmen Square statistics. 

37 minutes ago, Coastr said:

we all saw the baby formula buying a few years back. 

They're still doing it daily in every state and sending pallets of the stuff back to China, and selling it to fellow Chinese out of their garages and rented sheds full of the stuff.

It's just blatant profiteering, nothing else.

16 minutes ago, LeeM said:

They're still doing it daily in every state and sending pallets of the stuff back to China, and selling it to fellow Chinese out of their garages and rented sheds full of the stuff.

last year before all this corona trouble started the Chinese purchased one of Australia,s baby formula manufacturers for some insane price ,,,obviously the demand in high over there ....

9 minutes ago, Raven said:

last year before all this corona trouble started the Chinese purchased one of Australia,s baby formula manufacturers for some insane price ,,,obviously the demand in high over there ....

At an insane knockdown price because a couple of months earlier the company was denied access to the chinese market, causing it's share price to drop significantly.  Seems a little too coincidental.......  Caused some consternation here seeing as this where that company was headquartered....  One of the former main shareholders is also about to make an appearance in court with ASIC over non-disclosure of interests........

Imagine how attractive economic opportunities look to former communist controlled people. Capitalise in a democracy? That's what it's for.

We all came from somewhere else and assisted family back home.

The new Australian arrivals have always been derided in this free country.

I never got this pox because my best friend growing up was from an Indian family.

I'm glad to hear your experience @Coastr

14 hours ago, LeeM said:

Just had a mate email with a great suggestion that would be very good for both countries.

why don't we sell all our cane toads to China?

win win for everyone....

(except the cane toads)

2 hours ago, Niko said:

Just had a mate email with a great suggestion that would be very good for both countries.

why don't we sell all our cane toads to China?

win win for everyone....

(except the cane toads)

Just tell them if they lick a cane toad their pee pee will get bigger.

you’ll sell cane toads by the truck load

***Important request***

Would anyone have a digital thermometer I could beg, borrow or buy from you? 

My missus as an intellectual disability support mentor has been told she has to temp check both herself and the client before and after every outing, yet the company are not supplying a thermometer (even though it's a PPE item!). They've said to buy and under tongue one, yet with this virus, I dare say no manager or higher up would even contemplate doing that themselves! I've exhausted every bloody shop trying to find one to no avail, so I'm asking if anyone has a point and shoot thermometer available.

Any help with one, or a lead to be able to buy one that isn't mega bucks would be a massive help to us.

Cheers

34 minutes ago, LeeM said:

***Important request***

Would anyone have a digital thermometer I could beg, borrow or buy from you? 

My missus as an intellectual disability support mentor has been told she has to temp check both herself and the client before and after every outing, yet the company are not supplying a thermometer (even though it's a PPE item!). They've said to buy and under tongue one, yet with this virus, I dare say no manager or higher up would even contemplate doing that themselves! I've exhausted every bloody shop trying to find one to no avail, so I'm asking if anyone has a point and shoot thermometer available.

Any help with one, or a lead to be able to buy one that isn't mega bucks would be a massive help to us.

Cheers

Lee, Supercheap Auto have infrared digital thermometers for $50m, you could also try any auto store, I am just thinking outside the square.

There is no way I would be using a body contact thermometer.

Cheers

42 minutes ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Lee, Supercheap Auto have infrared digital thermometers for $50m, you could also try any auto store, I am just thinking outside the square.

There is no way I would be using a body contact thermometer.

Cheers

Tried every auto shop to no avail as they're sold out, yet found a new one at Crime Converters 10 minutes ago I thought I'd seen a week or so ago. $29 👍

Thanks again for the offer @OBRUT 👍

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

They've said to buy and under tongue one

Is that company serious, under the tongue, i wonder if they repeated that sentence back to themselves just to be sure they actually said it.

Fuch me and you need to supply it yourself, what sort of cowboy outfit does she work for?

Sounds like my company, we have ran out of cleaner for washing down machines, door handles etc, and they tell us to just go and mix up some metho and some sort of soap, she'll be right.

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

Tried every auto shop to no avail as they're sold out, yet found a new one at Crime Converters 10 minutes ago I thought I'd seen a week or so ago. $29 👍

Just use the palm of your hand it’s all my mum ever used ..... just make sure you wash it afterwards 

1 hour ago, TINGY996 said:

Is that company serious, under the tongue, i wonder if they repeated that sentence back to themselves just to be sure they actually said it.

Fuch me and you need to supply it yourself, what sort of cowboy outfit does she work for?

Only the biggest carer company in South Australia and possibly Australia! 🙄 

As soon as the missus told me I said no fkn way are you going to use under the tongue temp gauges to share! Bloody stupid. Her friend bought a couple today just for their own use, yet I found the digital one that should do the trick. 

The mob I work for have been brilliant and doing whatever they can to keep us safe and working, yet being in a housing trust house replacing the ceiling yesterday, some old bird said she had the flu and was supposed to be wearing the mask she had in her hand. I told her to put it on or we leave and she got the sooks on and started shouting, so I just kept my painting respirator on all morning 'til I left site

Should have left.

My  son is dealing with the same bullsh1t  attitude.  Woman brags that they had a street party.

My son challenged her and said it was “socially irresponsible”

“We’re all going to get it so what’s it matter”

🤯🤬

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

Just make sure it is suitable for use in this manner.  Our body temp is recorded to one decimal place and is a relatively low value as well so it needs to be accurate.  0 point 1 or 2 is a significant difference in in our body temperature. 

There are also 'in ear' probes that use a disposable plastic sheath that you toss out after each person has been read. I understand that every dollar counts but sometimes it does pay to get the right tool for the job.....https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/68465/omron-th839s-ear-thermometer