Coronavirus - what do you think?

1 hour ago, Grimmy said:

Its awful that your father passed at such a young age, you can visit he's grave as long as you exercise social distancing guidelines.

I think this was further clarified yesterday in the media.

It would Vicpol have done a very average job of instructing the members on how to conduct themselves to date. 

I think they have realised that some have been a little over zealous.

But having said that, these issues arrived on their doorstep suddenly and without any consultation to the members as to how to enforce the regulations.  

They have now been told to use a lot more discretion and only issue fines for blatant disregarding of the 4 exceptions.

No doubt they have been losing public support and that's something they do not ever want.

The bottom line that coppers should always remember (IMHO) is that every member of the public is a potential juror, and you always want jurors to be on your side.

The acts of some cops are disgraceful. Fining someone for a Facebook post of what they were doing a year ago. Seems some must be using the situation to get their jollies.

Also there being only 4 reasons to leave your house is rubbish there are a lot more valid reasons but they don't want you to know them so only give you a fraction of the message in order to keep you compliant and under house arrest.

As of the 13th VIC has 38 cases in hospital and 14 of those in intensive care which is unfortunate for those in the hospital. But with 38 beds across the entire state in use the wards must be close to empty given elective surgery has been canceled and beds emptied to make room. 
https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-update

56 minutes ago, Redracn said:

The acts of some cops are disgraceful. Fining someone for a Facebook post of what they were doing a year ago. Seems some must be using the situation to get their jollies.

Also there being only 4 reasons to leave your house is rubbish there are a lot more valid reasons but they don't want you to know them so only give you a fraction of the message in order to keep you compliant and under house arrest.

As of the 13th VIC has 38 cases in hospital and 14 of those in intensive care which is unfortunate for those in the hospital. But with 38 beds across the entire state in use the wards must be close to empty given elective surgery has been canceled and beds emptied to make room. 

Have a drink, sit in a darkened room, breath into a paper bag. As Chopper would say "settle the Fuch down". Are you under house arrest? What have you done?

Cops are being advised to use common sense & judgment, some fines are being dismissed.

Yep 4 reasons pretty much sums it up, just be sensible how you interpret them. It's not difficult, no ones asking you or any of us to do anything out of our comfort zone, it's just stay at home, be compliant, do the right thing for your fellow Australians, it's difficult & frusrating for everyone.

We are not even on full lock down as many other countries are. Lighten up & deal with this like a grown up & not a cry baby, it really is not that difficult to adapt & change for a few months.

We'd all love this to be over. 

The numbers only reflect the tests being done. Another outbreak from community transmission is a greater threat than we've seen because it'd be almost impossible to trace contacts which means it could really run away. Then we'd really be locked down.

Media has a major effect on our perception and unfortunately they're now focusing on the inconsistencies and screw ups for ratings.

Individual circumstances play a major part in how we each deal with it. 

8 hours ago, Arnage said:

Have a drink, sit in a darkened room, breath into a paper bag. As Chopper would say "settle the Fuch down". Are you under house arrest? What have you done?

Cops are being advised to use common sense & judgment, some fines are being dismissed.

Yep 4 reasons pretty much sums it up, just be sensible how you interpret them. It's not difficult, no ones asking you or any of us to do anything out of our comfort zone, it's just stay at home, be compliant, do the right thing for your fellow Australians, it's difficult & frusrating for everyone.

We are not even on full lock down as many other countries are. Lighten up & deal with this like a grown up & not a cry baby, it really is not that difficult to adapt & change for a few months.

This.

if all these measures seem like an over reaction, that means they were successful.

10 hours ago, Arnage said:

It appears you are already in a darkened room acting like a mushroom and I'm sure the government will thank you for being so compliant. 
The fact fines are being dismissed/withdrawn indicates the overzealous reaction of the police and their lack of common sense.

Why shouldn't we know all the rules around leaving your house as most peoples idea of common sense is not the same as the governments and using your own idea of common sense can land you in a lot of trouble and large fine. So it seems you are happy for the government to withhold information from you.
Governments and their experts are almost never right so what makes you think they are spot on this time given their track record. 

You also seem to assume your government knows what it is doing and has an exit strategy while every indication is that they are clueless and making it up as they go with no idea where or if it will end. 

Critical thinking does not seem to be one of your strong points.

13 hours ago, Redracn said:

That’s proof that the government following basic epidemiology advice is working.

I’d advise you exercise some of your critical thinking skills and common sense to deduct that the overreaction “by the cops”  and the withdrawal of the fines was nothing more than a move to get it into the populations heads that this was serious and the police are in fact following though with issuing fines.

You don’t control the greater numbers of people with fences you control them with psychology and posturing. The issuing of fines is just that. Its setting into play for the greater masses a “that it might happen to them” scenario. This helps keep them home and uses resources in a far better way.  

So far as “government and their experts are almost never being right” in this case they are balancing advice from both medical fields and economic. The medical advice is pretty much black and white and you don’t have to look to far to see what those options are. I’m not going to explain them to you as everyone should understand them by now. However the medical/scientific evidence of controling measures are clear and not speculative. The economic options are far more speculative however as they encompass so many moving parts. To balance both is a complex thing to do and no matter the way you go there will be downsides.

2 hours ago, Redracn said:

It appears you are already in a darkened room acting like a mushroom and I'm sure the government will thank you for being so compliant. 
The fact fines are being dismissed/withdrawn indicates the overzealous reaction of the police and their lack of common sense.

Why shouldn't we know all the rules around leaving your house as most peoples idea of common sense is not the same as the governments and using your own idea of common sense can land you in a lot of trouble and large fine. So it seems you are happy for the government to withhold information from you.
Governments and their experts are almost never right so what makes you think they are spot on this time given their track record. 

You also seem to assume your government knows what it is doing and has an exit strategy while every indication is that they are clueless and making it up as they go with no idea where or if it will end. 

Critical thinking does not seem to be one of your strong points.

If what you are doing makes you smile you can’t do it .

It’s a simple rule to follow 

1 hour ago, clutch-monkey said:

america has been doing the 'muh rights' thing and disregarding the government closures, and that's working real well for them..

The US death rate of the most infected states per 10million of population is in line with most other countries yes numbers are higher but so is the population. Then you have Sweden with virtually no restrictions sitting right in the middle. The experts hate this as they can not explain it and it debunks their Partial lockdowns as being ineffective.

1 hour ago, wilson59 said:

If what you are doing makes you smile you can’t do it .

It’s a simple rule to follow 

yup, thats it in a nutshell.

Beautiful weather on the weekend, and could not get anywhere near the boat for a sail.

I'm complying and support the whole thing, but in reality I come into range of more people out walking than I would out sailing solo.

Just banking up the brownie points at home, once this thing is back to the new normal, it will be smiles all round.

21 minutes ago, Redracn said:

The US death rate of the most infected states per 10million of population is in line with most other countries yes numbers are higher but so is the population. Then you have Sweden with virtually no restrictions sitting right in the middle. The experts hate this as they can not explain it and it debunks their Partial lockdowns as being ineffective.

I would not think that Sweden with over 1000 deaths and half our population is a success story . Finland next door has has 64 deaths ?

I would rather stick with the inconvenience of social distancing in order to save lives 

1 hour ago, Uncle said:

That’s proof that the government following basic epidemiology advice is working.

I’d advise you exercise some of your critical thinking skills and common sense to deduct that the overreaction “by the cops”  and the withdrawal of the fines was nothing more than a move to get it into the populations heads that this was serious and the police are in fact following though with issuing fines.

You don’t control the greater numbers of people with fences you control them with psychology and posturing. The issuing of fines is just that. Its setting into play for the greater masses a “that it might happen to them” scenario. This helps keep them home and uses resources in a far better way.  

So far as “government and their experts are almost never being right” in this case they are balancing advice from both medical fields and economic. The medical advice is pretty much black and white and you don’t have to look to far to see what those options are. I’m not going to explain them to you as everyone should understand them by now. However the medical/scientific evidence of controling measures are clear and not speculative. The economic options are far more speculative however as they encompass so many moving parts. To balance both is a complex thing to do and no matter the way you go there will be downsides.

You clearly are not looking at the big picture. Do you really think we can eradicate this from AUS and keep it out with the lock down, restrictions and posturing we have? I would say not a chance. Do you seriously think we will have a vaccine anytime soon. Again odds are not good.

If we can not eradicate/cure it then it is reasonable to say most of us will get it in the end. 

Balancing advice does not make them right. There is a lot of advice out there from people with actual expertise in this field that the current lockdowns are of little long term benefit that comes with a huge cost.
The slogan flattening the curve sums it up. It just means we will take a lot longer for most to catch it with the view to not overwhelm the hospital system but at current infection rates we are a very long way from that in AUS. The number they should be showing us is % of hospital capacity in use and the message that if we go over 100 people may die unnecessarily. Up to that point it may as well be business as usual. 

These experts need to be asked hard question and told to put the private's against two bricks then we will see how confident they are. 

14 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

I would not think that Sweden with over 1000 deaths and half our population is a success story . Finland next door has has 64 deaths ?

I would rather stick with the inconvenience of social distancing in order to save lives 

You react like it is all over and the final numbers are in. There is a long way to go yet and Finland may just catch up. Again it is the deaths per 10million of population that matter when comparing not absolute numbiers.

I was in the middle of typing you a reply from a scientific standpoint but you have made several statements in 2 posts that underpin fundamental lack of understanding as to the most basic rule in science. That being that opinions can and should change with the presentation of new evidence.

Your points of arguments are self-contradictory from a medical/scientific point of view and I’m unwilling to get involved with you having an argument with yourself.

44 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Do you really think we can eradicate this from AUS and keep it out with the lock down, restrictions and posturing we have?

that is exactly what is happening, yes. new cases are dropping each day. 
your statement that there are not many people in ICU is proof positive that the impact of the virus is being restricted by current measures, so i am not entirely sure what argument you are trying to make here.
US situation is worse than you might think, as the testing is starting to get restricted.

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

You clearly are not looking at the big picture. Do you really think we can eradicate this from AUS and keep it out with the lock down, restrictions and posturing we have? I would say not a chance. Do you seriously think we will have a vaccine anytime soon. Again odds are not good.

If we can not eradicate/cure it then it is reasonable to say most of us will get it in the end. 

Balancing advice does not make them right. There is a lot of advice out there from people with actual expertise in this field that the current lockdowns are of little long term benefit that comes with a huge cost.
The slogan flattening the curve sums it up. It just means we will take a lot longer for most to catch it with the view to not overwhelm the hospital system but at current infection rates we are a very long way from that in AUS. The number they should be showing us is % of hospital capacity in use and the message that if we go over 100 people may die unnecessarily. Up to that point it may as well be business as usual. 

These experts need to be asked hard question and told to put the private's against two bricks then we will see how confident they are. 

You react like it is all over and the final numbers are in. There is a long way to go yet and Finland may just catch up. Again it is the deaths per 10million of population that matter when comparing not absolute numbiers.

It’s all you got to go by when comparing different scenarios. You brought Sweden to the discussion digger 

2 hours ago, Redracn said:

. The experts hate this as they can not explain it and it debunks their Partial lockdowns as being ineffective.

If only there was one simple trick you could do.. 

Sorry I couldn't let that joke go past. I tried for hours but it had to be said.

And herein lies the problem - modern society has not experienced anything like this medical pandemic and lots of "theories" abound on how to eradicate the virus and control its spread.

The differing comments above are a good example of confusing or disinformation and misguided advice as to what is best in the current timeframe. And as Uncle quite correctly says, opinions must change with VERIFIABLE evidence from other sources.

I'm damned sure that Scomo and his medical and financial advisors realise that if they cock up on this one, they will be held responsible and wear the fallout - they can't afford a SNOFU at this level.....

I will say one thing though - my indebted gratitude for the medico's on the front line hospital wards - especially the nurses. Bloody angels as far as I'm concerned - they deserve the thanks of all mankind😇 I'm in awe of their bravery, dedication and commitment....

Doco on the Spanish flu pointed out that girls who were reluctant to go to home's that had the illness were treated to a white feather of shame. Lovely society. 

We ask too much of nurses day in day out under 'normal' circumstances. On the weekends while we're gettn pissed and breaking legs and shit they're always there with open arms, no judgment on how stupid you've been. A special breed imo.

I've always been in awe of people that actually give a shit about others.

Cops, be fkd, you couldn't pay me enough to deal with the problems of society. 

👏👏👏👏👏

7 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Man I'm glad I'm stupid, as I have no idea what half of you are on about 😁

Heres an interview for those who love an argument with conspiracy theorists and have a bit of time to spare. I dozed off at around 20 minutes in 

https://www.bitchute.com/video/H4W7FwBy0Ukh/

20 mins??? I can't concentrate for that long!!

Lee seriously, that goes for 2.5 hrs, surely you got something better to watch, maybe this will suit you, who is this David Icke wanker anyway?

https://www.bitchute.com/video/LxSq_YJLbE8/

5 hours ago, clutch-monkey said:

that is exactly what is happening, yes. new cases are dropping each day. 
your statement that there are not many people in ICU is proof positive that the impact of the virus is being restricted by current measures, so i am not entirely sure what argument you are trying to make here.
US situation is worse than you might think, as the testing is starting to get restricted.

Even the Vic and fed governments say these restrictions are only to ensue our medical system can cope. Just check out the Vic gov TV add. The current restrictions are not designed to eradicate the virus. New Zealand on the other hand have really locked down their population and are hoping to eradicate the virus. If the current restrictions here with literally hundreds of exceptions (meaning they leak like a sieve) work then it just shows the virus is not as good at propagating as they are telling us. 
As far as US data I look at daily data showing the worst states that is graphed per 10million of population which can be compared to the same graphs from major countries around the world. The absolute numbers are meaningless when comparing. As the ball has just been bounced and a small amount of data is in it is a bit early to call the final result with different strategies in play. But a lot seem to be doing just that. 
https://wattsupwiththat.com/daily-coronavirus-covid-19-data-graph-page/