Coronavirus - what do you think?

17 minutes ago, LeeM said:

I was at Bunnings today buying a laser level for work, and the amount of people there was ridiculous. They have bollards and notices at each end of every aisle stating no more than 4 people at a time. I counted more than 8 in 3 different aisles. I had to bypass 5 aisles just to get to where I wanted to go which was no problem, yet 'security' was there doing jack shit. I'm sure they had no grasp on the English language anyway, so what's the point of even having them there? 

I'm not going to say keeping a minimum amount of people per aisle at Bunnings or a shopping centre is or isn't going to help the situation, as I can't be arsed having or starting an argument about it here, yet it's moreso that people are just so ignorant of others in public areas.

You should have gone to aisle with the tape measure and done a demonstration.

Maybe then to the wood section and got one of the Bunnings staff to cut you a 1.5 metre stick and then another demonstration of swinging your way out 

I hate Bunnings. 

Its one  big scam.  

The way they engineer products drives me nuts.  Bought a Makita compound mitre saw.  Yeh Makita i say, thats a reputable brand....well not the shit you get at bunnings.  And dont get me started on the makita brad gun 

Yes, im getting grumpy in lockdown.  Just unfollowed Magnus Walker on insta, made me feel somewhat happier

I'm with you on this.

But still funny. Especially the unfollow.

My neck and back is out atm. So I'm getting cranky easier. You just gave me perspective. 

Hope we get some relief soon.

I feel for people that live in densely populated area's through this. The rural area seems much easier to get out a bit.

@Spectre Mate, I bought $2000 of AEG cordless tools 2 and a bit years ago and they're all shit. NEVER again will I buy that junk. I've used some Dewalt stuff lately and seems good, yet to me the drills feel cheap and flimsy to use. The circular saw is fantastic though with loads of grunt and rips anything real quick. Just need to find $2500 for what I need. I did buy a Dewalt laser level the other day for doing kitchens (hate borrowing others gear) as they save loads of time dicking around with doing levels.

As for Bunnings people...its probably 50% who know what they're doing, and the others are focussed on one or two areas...or they're just door greeters. I didn't get a job there (not even an interview), as I didnt answer a 'pre questionnaire questionnaire test how they wanted it done, yet some kid can go there straight from school, or some from the blue rinse set get a job? Hmmm 🤔 I'm also told it's not the best place to work, as the hours are all over the place.

They whacked the prices up of everything a few months ago, and as I'm in there nearly every day buying gear for housing maintenance (we have the biggest account in SA with $10,000-20,000 spent every week), I see prices go up all the time. Recently a $39 painting respirator mask went up to $59 and they walk out the door, so I imagine this virus is a massive win for Bunnings, yet I cant understand why they're looking at opening for trade only! One branch removed most of their checkouts and now only have one or two and the self serve machines, and the line ups are ridiculous. I went in there today (4 times actually) in the trade/large pick up drive in area, and it was chockas with non trades buying a box of screws and a screwdriver! 

It is better that Stratco though. My gawd is that like pulling teeth going in there! Noone has a clue what they're doing (if you can find anyone that is), and their tools range is pathetic, not to mention expensive. You'd be better off shopping at Toyworld than Stratco! 

The worst part about all these hardware stores during this 'pandemic'? No sausage sizzles!! Bunnings do tradie breakfasts and also supplied pies n other food free for card holders, yet that's all stopped now. That sucks!! 

13 hours ago, Spectre said:

I hate Bunnings. 

Its one  big scam.  

The way they engineer products drives me nuts.  Bought a Makita compound mitre saw.  Yeh Makita i say, thats a reputable brand....well not the shit you get at bunnings.  And dont get me started on the makita brad gun 

Yes, im getting grumpy in lockdown.  Just unfollowed Magnus Walker on insta, made me feel somewhat happier

That's a most interesting comment - it was suggested to me that I should buy Makita from someone like Total Tools as there was a difference to what they supplied as Makita compared to Bunnings' offering.  Is that true?

6 minutes ago, sydr said:

That's a most interesting comment - it was suggested to me that I should buy Makita from someone like Total Tools as there was a difference to what they supplied as Makita compared to Bunnings' offering.  Is that true?

Most definately.

My son has a pair of 'genuine' makita drills.  I have the bunnings version.  His are so much better (more expensive) than mine.  Fortunately Tim doesnt have a problem with sharing.

Total Tools are wonderful, when i win tattslotto ......

7 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

So do I read these 2 comments right that Bunnings are selling fake knock off Makitas? Or are they real Makitas but an inferior (and lower priced) version than the same model(s) available from elsewhere?

Hi guys,

40yrs in the electrical industry and you experience a lot of different tools & brands in my opinion the Best battery powered equipment is Panasonic, although they have a limited range, expensive, light & powerful, usually only available from speciality tool suppliers. Best heavy duty power equipment has to be Hilti, also expensive, virtually impossible to destroy and they still supply parts for equipment 20yrs old. 
When I was young my boss said tools are an extension of your fingers.

7 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

So do I read these 2 comments right that Bunnings are selling fake knock off Makitas? Or are they real Makitas but an inferior (and lower priced) version than the same model(s) available from elsewhere?

They aren't selling knock offs, they're just selling a cheaper quality version. If you can't find the same part number at other suppliers, its a safe bet that its going to be crap. A lot of the Dewalt stuff is the same at Bunnings as elsewhere, which is why there isn't much if any price difference between Bunnings and Total Tools on like for like Dewalt gear.

2 minutes ago, sleazius said:

They aren't selling knock offs, they're just selling a cheaper quality version. If you can't find the same part number at other suppliers, its a safe bet that its going to be crap. A lot of the Dewalt stuff is the same at Bunnings as elsewhere, which is why there isn't much if any price difference between Bunnings and Total Tools.

Same goes for some IT.  Have found cheaper PC's at JB HiFi or Harvey Norman, or purchased during 'crazy' specials and had lots of reliability issues.

When following up with manufacturer for warranty, the model numbers are specific to those stores only, and can't be bought elsewhere.  :Evil: 

Never again. 

9 hours ago, WOKA said:

Love my AEG Cordless.!  ;)

Really? First time I've heard that 😁

Most tradies I know who have used them usually threw them out. I can't afford to do that though 

2 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Hi guys,

40yrs in the electrical industry and you experience a lot of different tools & brands in my opinion the Best battery powered equipment is Panasonic, although they have a limited range, expensive, light & powerful, usually only available from speciality tool suppliers. Best heavy duty power equipment has to be Hilti

Absolutley! I bought a 14v Panasonic drill package many years ago (first lithium battery model), and the only reason I don't use them now is because the batteries are dead. Only found mine in the shed after I read these tools comments and will be buying a couple of new batteries soon. Brilliant tools

A mate is a Hilti rep who incessantly tries to get me to buy some gear. I'd love to, but would need to cough up $5000 and up to replace all of my cordless gear

11 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Is Festool still good? Stuff was the bomb back when I was on the tools.

it is if you can remortgage  your house ,,,,,,,,,,seriously expensive and is very good quality gear ,,problem is ,its to good for a work site ...

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Is Festool still good? Stuff was the bomb back when I was on the tools.

Yep, serious quality kit, and that would be my first choice. Only plumbers and sparkies can afford that stuff though...and a bloke onsite a few years ago that was installing corian benchtops in high end homes. His whole Mercedes van was kitted out with 20 Festool stackable boxes, vacuum, rail saws, mitre saws etc. $22,000 worth 😯

He was the only one in Adelaide doing that kinda work at the time, and gave me a chopping board made from the stuff (we still use and does not have a mark on it) he said would cost probably $500 to buy back then, so he wasnt short of a quid.

Plumber today said he'll never change from Milwaukee, yet I've also heard bad stories about that gear. Same as every other brand, you'll have lovers and haters 

Most Panasonic gear was pretty good.

We had some old Panasonic drivers that are still going, when newer AEG has been dead for a year. It was sad to see the decline of Panasonic, and fall off from all of the products they used to make. When I was a newbie, Panasonic had made a brand new head office in Melb,  mega showroom with everything they made on display. The dunnies even flushed automatically when you walked to them. Mega bucks were spent. Picture tinted windows, marble, totally bling. 

The only problem was the brandname was built into the tile/marble floor. This didnt go down well with the Japanese officials  as everyone was walking over the company name and disrespecting the company.

45 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Plumber today said he'll never change from Milwaukee, yet I've also heard bad stories about that gear.

I have a truck load of Milwaukee kit and it goes alright. The are an ok brand but if you hate AEG then dont go Milwaukee they are made by the same parent company :). I have yet to have a tool fail on me but a number of batteries have. I even have original V series tools that work but can no longer get batteries for them.

As a side note my second part time job as a student was working at McEwans and if anyone here is old enough they will remember that Wesfarmers bought them out and turned them into Bunnings. Great place to work, became an expert on power tools and paints through my 5 years of employment. I left as soon as they closed off the shopping centre stores and transitioned to Bunnings.