Coronavirus - what do you think?

Well I’m grounded.  Office closed for a projected 3 weeks.  Working from home until told otherwise.  Schools will be next.

Normal flu mortality rate is 0.1% this one is currently running at 6% WW.  If you live in a city maybe don’t visit your elderly relatives for a while.

There is still a lot to go.  Swine flu did end up killing a few hundred k before it was controlled somewhat.

on the plus side have an unopened 18 pack of ring grip and plenty of coffee.

5 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Well I’m grounded.  Office closed for a projected 3 weeks.  Working from home until told otherwise.  Schools will be next.

Normal flu mortality rate is 0.1% this one is currently running at 6% WW.  If you live in a city maybe don’t visit your elderly relatives for a while.

There is still a lot to go.  Swine flu did end up killing a few hundred k before it was controlled somewhat.

on the plus side have an unopened 18 pack of ring grip and plenty of coffee.

where are you ?

2 hours ago, Coastr said:

Not true. Somewhere between 2 and 3%. But that is only on cases reported. Of the two strains currently getting around, the main one is comparatively mild. Up to 80% of people won’t even realise they have it, with most just thinking they’ve got a cold. Approx 30% of people show no symptoms at all. 20% may have breathing difficulty, and 5% require hospitalisation - this 5% is obviously where all the deaths come from.

Mortality rate is approximately the same as the regular flu for those under 60 and in good health.

For those over 60 with heart disease, diabetes, respiratory disease, kidney disease or a suppressed immune system COVID-19 is big risk. Mortality rates of almost 15% in the over 80s for example.

People need to remain calm, for the vast majority of the population there is nothing to worry about, it is just another respiratory illness which may become a seasonal thing like H1N1 (swine flu). Speaking of which, H1N1 killed an estimated 150000 to 550000 people in 2009/2010, but I don’t remember this level of hysteria. Probably because social media wasn’t so prevalent back then.

15 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Not true. Somewhere between 2 and 3%. But that is only on cases reported. Of the two strains currently getting around, the main one is comparatively mild. Up to 80% of people won’t even realise they have it, with most just thinking they’ve got a cold. Approx 30% of people show no symptoms at all. 20% may have breathing difficulty, and 5% require hospitalisation - this 5% is obviously where all the deaths come from.

Mortality rate is approximately the same as the regular flu for those under 60 and in good health.

For those over 60 with heart disease, diabetes, respiratory disease, kidney disease or a suppressed immune system COVID-19 is big risk. Mortality rates of almost 15% in the over 80s for example.

People need to remain calm, for the vast majority of the population there is nothing to worry about, it is just another respiratory illness which may become a seasonal thing like H1N1 (swine flu). Speaking of which, H1N1 killed an estimated 150000 to 550000 people in 2009/2010, but I don’t remember this level of hysteria. Probably because social media wasn’t so prevalent back then.

Is it worse than the man flu ? I sometimes get that and it’s really bad 

17 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Yes, the news cycle back then was slower.... It took about 90 seconds to turn information into misinformation and another 90 seconds to go from misinformation to disinformation but those times are probably about half that now.

But I can also remember the SARS event of the very early 2000s and I was especially flown in for a meeting from Sydney to Singapore rather than getting a better qualified person from Japan into Singapore. Not required at all but that's the odd thing about us humans... irrational to the point of becoming relatively rational amongst your peers.

I’m just going off the reported numbers so happy to be corrected.  It is probably artificially high because of under reporting of mild cases.   

The biggest issue right now for people as a whole is the economic and social impact of everyone going into hiding.

On 04/03/2020 at 07:50, wilson59 said:

I just want to get it over and done with and catch it . Not doing any of that

I couldn’t even be bothered reading the long list of precautions above.  Stuff that, I’d rather deal with flu symptoms than behave like a complete tool with gloves and disinfectant.

off to Europe in 6 weeks, changed the flight in from Milan to Munich but other than that, plans are unchanged.

Why people think toilet paper is issue #1 if locked up at home is beyond me.  Herd mentality gone mad.

My wife saw health minister Greg Hunt’s wife leaving our local woolies with toilet paper yesterday.  She asked jokingly “what do you know that we don’t”.  Her response, “I just needed toilet paper” 😂😂

12 hours ago, 3legs said:

If you are really worried and you want to avoid the countries that have it, here is a good site for tracking.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Good site.  Drops off sharply after China Iran Korea Italy.  The press only reports 90k+ infected yet 55k of those have recovered.  Should be reporting the net numbers.  But that doesn’t stir as much panic 🤔

5 hours ago, Coastr said:

It’s a runner - Past 100k cases.  Italy coming on strong with 1200 new cases. 

But under 50,000 currently infected and China new infections tapering off quickly.

oh, and Donald Trump has a “hunch” that mortality rate is under 1% not 3-4% that the science community says.  So that’s comforting 😂😂

Interesting side note. The other day I tried to put a comment on a News.com.au story about how the virus might kill close to 100k of Aussies in the future.

I basically wrote enough is enough with the scaremongering by the media and "asked", not accused, how much of a stake the media has in companies making money out of this virus.

No swearing, no accusations and guess what. It wasn't posted. 

Seems I might be on to something 😁 

Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000. 

The CDC also estimates that up to 31 million Americans have caught the flu this season, with 210,000 to 370,000 flu sufferers hospitalized because of the virus. 

Saw the video of women fighting over TP in woolies.  WTF how did we get here? 
But the un-PC comments were golden so a bright light is the Aussie humour is alive and well.

Was talking to some 20+ year olds yesterday.  One of them said they had some corona virus humour so I said ‘let’s hear it!’  But they weren’t even jokes let alone funny. Something about dumb people avoiding beer.  Millennials are the worst for humour - so constrained by avoiding offence they have all the edge of a pool noodle. The famous TP run of 2020 drips with the fertile ground of gallows and toilet humour .. surely something funny out there?

On the serious side though the mortality rates for old people are concerning for people like me with high risk parents.  That bit is not funny, though my old man has managed to crack a couple of jokes about it.

10 hours ago, clutch-monkey said:

since old people and smokers seem to be dying from this, i can't wait.

gonna be some sweet cars up for auction from the deceased estates.

Wow mate, that's hilarious. Got anymore?  

My wife and i have been away for 3 days and we have been out of the loop somewhat, this is getting crazy. We have been joking that we should stock up on poo tickets and stopped in at a country town super market, shelves were empty, My wife decided to shop early this morning at a local Woolies, no poo tickets, no rolls of paper towels and a very limited supply of tissues. Talk about panic, so she stocked up on rice because it looked very low on the shelves and our pantry is bulging more than a normal week from what i can see, she even has a fortnight of meals planned, not like her at all.

On 07/03/2020 at 12:26, firstone said:

Doesn't the flue kill more people each year anyway?

Isn't  this much the same but with a name and number?

Not intending to down play this.

The main issue with COVID-19 is that at the moment, we don't know how to fix it.  Many of the other diseases being mentioned as being 'worse' in relation to infection and death rates etc are well known and being medically managed - globally.  And many of those are not actually contagious (heart disease and cancer are examples of these).  At the moment, COVID-19 is not being managed medically and we don't have a way to achieve this. 

The only way to manage it for us at the moment is via exclusion/isolation while we work out how it's being transmitted from one human to another. 

The current way to help at the personal level is to behave sensibly, follow commonsense hygiene practices, and love your fellow human like you did 4 months ago......

25 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

Some catering supplies shops stock date rolls.

Noticed yesterday that Dorrigo SPAR has an ample supply.  I guess the locals must be feeling pretty cocky that their town of population 1042 will ride it out OK.