Coronavirus - what do you think?

Duh! Who would have thought ........

The cure's worse than the disease.

More people expected to die from suicide than COVID-19

The fatal danger which is spiking due to coronavirus pandemic

The rise in the suicide rate caused by lockdowns in Australia is predicted to exceed deaths from the Wuhan coronavirus by a factor of ten, the Australian reported Thursday.

Researchers from Sydney University’s Brain and Mind Centre forecast a 50 percent rise in the national suicide rate because of the economic and social impact of government responses to the virus, which would drive deaths to as much as ten times higher than those causes by the coronavirus itself.

The federal health minister has spoken of the devastating impact of the coronavirus pandemic on mental health with suicides.
Greg Hunt told reporters on Thursday coronavirus can have an “indirect impact” on mental health as he announced $500 million in additional funding.

"Coronavirus can have direct impacts, obviously. We've seen that around the world," he said.

"But the indirect impact can also be mental health."

Mr Hunt has studied modelling presented by Sydney University’s Brain and Mind Centre along with the Australian Medical Association.

Mental health issues have been found to be an indirect effect of coronavirus.

He added he has spoken with Professor Patrick McGorry from University of Melbourne’s Centre for Youth Mental Health. Professor McGorry also contributed to the study.

“We are very focused on being ahead of the curve for mental health in the same way that we were ahead of the curve for physical health,” Mr Hunt said.

“We are facing a situation where between an extra 750 and 1500 more suicides may occur annually, in addition to the 3000 plus lives that are lost to suicide already every year,” the joint statement reads.

“Furthermore, this tragically higher rate is likely to persist for up to five years if the economic downturn lasts more than 12 months.”

It means more people are predicted to die from suicide than from coronavirus, which currently has a national toll of 97.

Greg Hunt is expected to table modelling to the National Cabinet which predicts more Australians could die from suicide than from coronavirus.

The PM claims lockdown measures are costing $4 billion a week.

18 hours ago, Rick V said:

C’mon ScoMo.... looking forward to your presser tomorrow, when you ease restrictions..... spent last weekend polishing & waxing .... need a decent drive soon!!

That looks so damn good. 

7 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Greg Hunt is expected to table modelling to the National Cabinet which predicts more Australians could die from suicide than from coronavirus.

Pretty smart these politicians 👍 Why not have a royal commission into why people are taking their own lives? Seems they like that sorta thing...Morons 

20 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Duh! Who would have thought ........

The cure's worse than the disease.

The fatal danger which is spiking due to coronavirus pandemic

The rise in the suicide rate caused by lockdowns in Australia is predicted to exceed deaths from the Wuhan coronavirus by a factor of ten, the Australian reported Thursday.

Researchers from Sydney University’s Brain and Mind Centre forecast a 50 percent rise in the national suicide rate because of the economic and social impact of government responses to the virus, which would drive deaths to as much as ten times higher than those causes by the coronavirus itself.

The federal health minister has spoken of the devastating impact of the coronavirus pandemic on mental health with suicides.
Greg Hunt told reporters on Thursday coronavirus can have an “indirect impact” on mental health as he announced $500 million in additional funding.

"Coronavirus can have direct impacts, obviously. We've seen that around the world," he said.

"But the indirect impact can also be mental health."

Mr Hunt has studied modelling presented by Sydney University’s Brain and Mind Centre along with the Australian Medical Association.

Mental health issues have been found to be an indirect effect of coronavirus.

He added he has spoken with Professor Patrick McGorry from University of Melbourne’s Centre for Youth Mental Health. Professor McGorry also contributed to the study.

“We are very focused on being ahead of the curve for mental health in the same way that we were ahead of the curve for physical health,” Mr Hunt said.

“We are facing a situation where between an extra 750 and 1500 more suicides may occur annually, in addition to the 3000 plus lives that are lost to suicide already every year,” the joint statement reads.

“Furthermore, this tragically higher rate is likely to persist for up to five years if the economic downturn lasts more than 12 months.”

It means more people are predicted to die from suicide than from coronavirus, which currently has a national toll of 97.

The PM claims lockdown measures are costing $4 billion a week.

If the impact was measured in "life years lost" the 10 times more lives could easily be 1000 (rough guess) times more as CV19 is an old persons disease where suicide covers all age groups especially the young.  

13 hours ago, LeeM said:

Pretty smart these politicians 👍 Why not have a royal commission into why people are taking their own lives? Seems they like that sorta thing...Morons 

They know why Lee, anyone who takes off the rose coloured glasses knows why. Over 80% of suicides are male - increasingly youth. 90% of homeless are male - increasingly youth.  Men are disposable, always have been but now more so than ever. Men and boys are extremely undervalued and seen as problematic.  In Australia there are almost no shelters / refuges for men and only one shelter for men with their children. Okay I'll shut up now, I could spew this stuff all day …..

Anyway the point of the original post is they are doing more harm than good now and for fucks sake, let us get back to work, protect the vulnerable, and let people try and kick start this economy. It'll be like an old Harley, it may not fire!

One thing that has really bothered me about the government stopping all sports etc, is that horse racing is still allowed to carry on. Why is that, as it's a sport isnt it? People mingling around horse stables (I have a racecourse close to me and see PLENTY of people there every morning), jockeys in their dressing rooms etc. Funny how a sport (which I despise) makes money for owners, trainers and jockeys is allowed to continue in these times, yet all other sports are banned. 

Answer me that Mr Morrison! 

What is really strange is the football leagues insisting on all players being vaccinated when there is no vaccine for CV-19.

Next is no vaccination, no work, or no travel Or no attendance at sporting events etc

There is an agenda here. 

10 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

What is really strange is the football leagues insisting on all players being vaccinated when there is no vaccine for CV-19.

Next is no vaccination, no work, or no travel Or no attendance at sporting events etc

There is an agenda here. 

I'm no conspiracy theorist, yet I think a lot of it is all bullshit 

8 hours ago, LeeM said:

One thing that has really bothered me about the government stopping all sports etc, is that horse racing is still allowed to carry on. Why is that, as it's a sport isnt it? People mingling around horse stables (I have a racecourse close to me and see PLENTY of people there every morning), jockeys in their dressing rooms etc. Funny how a sport (which I despise) makes money for owners, trainers and jockeys is allowed to continue in these times, yet all other sports are banned. 

The irony there being that horses have  a similar syndrome (disease from bats that is incubated in horses before spreading to humans) with an 80% fatality rate lol 

the football leagues is simple, they  were being asked to use flu vaccine because there may be some cross protection but I don’t think it’s been proven yet so they are jumping the gun a bit 

On 09/05/2020 at 09:49, Redracn said:

........ CV19 is an old persons disease ......

Factually incorrect.  More young people are contracting it because they think that it targets the old.  There's significant mortality amongst young people, who believe that they are ok and don't need to take reasonable care.

I imagine people think it will only affect the elderly, as a most reported death cases are of that age bracket. What I think they fail to understand, is that by being older, your immune system isn't able to fight it as much as the younger generation, and/or there are known and unknown respiratory problems which add to the chances of mortality.

9 hours ago, LeeM said:

I don’t think Scott Morrison is a member here ? 

2 hours ago, sydr said:

Factually incorrect.  More young people are contracting it because they think that it targets the old.  There's significant mortality amongst young people, who believe that they are ok and don't need to take reasonable care.

Significant mortality? 0.1% in those without co-morbidities, 0.2% overall under the age of 40. About the same as the flu because the number is so small it becomes statistically irrelevant. 1 in a thousand vs 2 in a thousand. In children it is even rarer. 3 deaths world wide in children under 18 are all i can find at the time of writing this (edit - without underlying conditions).

So no significant mortality in anyone under the age of 40.

Covid-19 affects everyone, however it primarily kills the elderly. That isn't to say that it won't mutate to affect everyone equally like the Spanish Flu did in 1918, but currently it doesn't affect everyone equally.

2 hours ago, sydr said:

Here is the actual data for Australia. Pay particular attention to the deaths by age graph and the infections by age graph. Where is your actual data to back up your statement about significant mortalities amongst the young? Or do you just make up your own facts?

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/05/coronavirus-covid-19-at-a-glance-coronavirus-covid-19-at-a-glance-infographic_8.pdf