Coronavirus - what do you think?

28 minutes ago, jakroo said:

The current way to help at the personal level is to behave sensibly, follow commonsense hygiene practices, and love your fellow human like you did 4 months ago......

With everyone sent home from work, but the schools still open, I’m guessing a lot of new life arriving around December.

46 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Noticed yesterday that Dorrigo SPAR has an ample supply.  I guess the locals must be feeling pretty cocky that their town of population 1042 will ride it out OK.

Dammit, i knew i should have stopped there on Friday.

4 minutes ago, Coastr said:

With everyone sent home from work, but the schools still open, I’m guessing a lot of new life arriving around December.

I'm hoping that they will be named according to the principle of 'bubbling brook', 'autumn leaves' and 'bear in woods' 🙂

6 hours ago, LeeM said:

Wow mate, that's hilarious. Got anymore?  

no, this is long overdue, the stupidity over bog rolls and media hysterics is case in point.

my sympathies to the doctors who will be dealing with this.. unfortunately if it gets serious they will likely be some of the first ones to fill hospital beds, then we're all fucked.

Looks like our 2 overseas trip in next 3 months are now off - Phillipines for family wedding next month and month after to Europe.  Wife (as a health professional) has been told by her hospital that any staff going overseas (anywhere it seems) will be on 2 weeks quarantine on return on either unpaid leave or annual leave, definitely not sick leave, so for her that would be 4 weeks unpaid as she would be using up all her leave for the trips.  And looks like Travel Insurance won't cover anything either, as it's been declared a pandemic, even though we took out the cover before the thing became serious.  Just thinking that if we hold off actually cancelling, flights and tours may be cancelled anyway due to borders being closed so we may be eligible for refunds....  So,  Porsche Factory tour is out this year 😞 

Don't cancel anything yet unless that will save you money. The companies involved will not run tours at a loss, and may offer you a credit for a later date. Same goes with the flights.

On the business side, business interruption insurance doesn't cover this either. There is only one type of insurance that will, and it usually is only taken out by some (not all) medical facilities. Blanket quarantines are going to torpedo the economy. Blows my mind that the NSW government is still forecasting no recession.

I’m in a similar predicament.  Booked and paid flights, accom, car rental etc for April/May trip with my brother to Germany Austria Switzerland Belgium (fast cars, museums, biking, hiking, Sinsheim, Porsche factory tour) followed by June/July Amalfi coast and Croatia with wife and kids.

until yesterday I was gung ho “we’re going!” but today it feels reckless to still be planning to go.  Sounds like ScoMo is about to ban Euro travel and I’m not keen on 14 days self isolation on return so I reckon we’re probably cancelling both.

I will hold off and wait for airlines to offer refunds.  Race car rental guys have already confirmed they are happy to refund.  Accom I assume is refundable perhaps less some admin fees.

damn shame, 5 weeks out from the car lovers trip of a lifetime.  Oh well, wait for it to blow over and line it up again.

meanwhile camping at Marlo at Easter, maybe I’ll just stay there!

It stuck me today, my neighbors daughter dances in the Elvis movie production on the gold coast that Tom Hanks is involved in. Which potentially means it's in the house below and her town. The one I live in.

Freak me out? No, but it's here. Right here.

I'm saying it's making me take it more seriously. Which, when I went to coles this arv was in my mind watching all these people touching sooooo much stuff brought home how the good ol assie says yeah not gunna happen to me.

I have something for the srcunchers of toilet paper, learn to bloody fold. 😂

23 minutes ago, firstone said:

It stuck me today, my neighbors daughter dances in the Elvis movie production on the gold coast that Tom Hanks is involved in. Which potentially means it's in the house below and her town. The one I live in.

Freak me out? No, but it's here. Right here.

I'm saying it's making me take it more seriously. Which, when I went to coles this arv was in my mind watching all these people touching sooooo much stuff brought home how the good ol assie says yeah not gunna happen to me.

I have something for the srcunchers of toilet paper, learn to bloody fold. 😂

Yeah I know shit  just got real . 
I went to the supermarket today just to view where the toilet paper usually sits .

Interesting places supermarkets it’s where all the food we eat comes from . Who would have thought .

I might go back one day . 

9 hours ago, sleazius said:

Don't cancel anything yet unless that will save you money. The companies involved will not run tours at a loss, and may offer you a credit for a later date. Same goes with the flights.

On the business side, business interruption insurance doesn't cover this either. There is only one type of insurance that will, and it usually is only taken out by some (not all) medical facilities. Blanket quarantines are going to torpedo the economy. Blows my mind that the NSW government is still forecasting no recession.

That's what I'm hoping.  Phillipine Airlines (one of our trips) will offer credit if cancel > 7 days before flight & 12 mths to use it - just checked and they also fly to other places I would much prefer to go to, like NZ and USA.....  So all in all, it mightn't be a $20k loss afterall.......

2 hours ago, wilson59 said:

Yeah I know shit  just got real . 
I went to the supermarket today just to view where the toilet paper usually sits .

Interesting places supermarkets it’s where all the food we eat comes from . Who would have thought .

I might go back one day . 

kinda glad i live semi rural and get most of my food from local farms in exchange for favours. can't stand supermarkets in general, but with the recent panic i've got even more reason to avoid them and the mouthbreathers panic buying toilet paper

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

That's what I'm hoping.  Phillipine Airlines (one of our trips) will offer credit if cancel > 7 days before flight & 12 mths to use it - just checked and they also fly to other places I would much prefer to go to, like NZ and USA.....  So all in all, it mightn't be a $20k loss afterall.......

We leave for Cape Town on good Friday April 10  which has been a bucket list trip and decided to go for mrs 50th as a treat. At this stage low reported cases and we are both in businesses that have confirmed any travel means you work from home self isolation for two weeks. Happy to suck that up to do the trip.

I work in a start up Neo bank with lots of contract resources and primarily tech build going on so our office implemented a new policy from Monday. If your sick or have health issues, cold flu symptoms,  respiratory problems like asthma you can work from home until at least mid April. If you need to be at work some days but can work remotely on others that we implement a two week rotation of half the team on site other half work from home. It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks to see if our remote working capability is up to it.

Visited our local supermarket tonight - no pasta, little rice, no tissues, toilet paper, wipes, low nappies, no hand wash.  Also noticed today Dep of Ed in NSW starting to soften up parents for distance ed and Retailers association assuring everyone that there's plenty of stock....just logistical problems getting it to the stores. Hmmm.  To enable a spread of admissions, rather than overwhelming the health system, I predict we will see event (easter show....gp is unfolding as I type) and school/uni closures within 4 days (which really means just shutting for two weeks to get a 4 week benefit due to easter) and recommendations to self isolate.  The overall hit will be the same but we simply don't have resources to cover a surge such as italy.  Once these announcements are made I'm expecting even more panic buying of goods in preparation for isolation.  Will be an interesting couple of months.  Not expecting many Porsche track days to be purchased :)

McLaren F1 team pulled out of the weekend not too long ago, so that might have a domino effect with other teams. 

I think its bloody ridiculous, because like the flu or the common cold, whether you're at the GP, supermarket or waiting for a train, theres every chance you'll end up being a carrier if exposed to it

5 minutes ago, LeeM said:

McLaren F1 team pulled out of the weekend not too long ago, so that might have a domino effect with other teams. 

I think its bloody ridiculous, because like the flu or the common cold, whether you're at the GP, supermarket or waiting for a train, theres every chance you'll end up being a carrier if exposed to it

Sure - but minimising potential contact points slows the rate of spread.  Won't matter in the long game but it will give the health system a better chance to cope over the next 2 - 3 months.  Have a few mates who are ambos & they are horrified (not about the virus...just about the impact on their workload).  Will be a guaranteed shit show across all emergency services and the health sector.

ABC 730 gave an interesting view.

The main point i got was that Italy didn't respond with closures etc and their cases skyrocketed from 100 to 10,000 in a very short term. Countries that have didn't. Can't find their charts for spread.

7 hours ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

Sure - but minimising potential contact points slows the rate of spread. 

Fair point 👍

Maybe I'm being too blase about it, yet I still think it's mainly the media hype trying to create headlines and scare people into hibernation, when the medico's have said a few times those who have existing ailments and the elderly are the main ones to be concerned about it.

On SKY last night, asked the media to stop scare mongering and report on the number of people that have had Corona and recovered.

Chinese used Italy as a staging point after Australia and US banned direct flights.  So they would go to Italy, then catch a flight to wherever they wanted to go.  Universities here paid for the students to go this route because they were losing money.

The economic impact of this globally is going to be huge. It will affect everybody from big companies down to the one-man tradie. 

This was Hong Kong airport at peak hour last week. Its normally a zoo and it was practically empty. There were only 3 people in the whole first class lounge where you are typically scavenging for a seat.

IMG_0332-1.JPG

IMG_0331-1.JPG

I attended a Novotel hotel recently for work and it was very much an empty shell.  Skeleton staff only and walking around the floors was dead silence - very much unlike the usual hum you'd get in a hotel with voices, lifts, music pipes & aircon.  Felt  entirely weird, as if the building was in shutdown caretaker mode.  They quoted 20% occupancy rate but those 20% must have all stepped out for the evening...

4 hours ago, firstone said:

ABC 730 gave an interesting view.

The main point i got was that Italy didn't respond with closures etc and their cases skyrocketed from 100 to 10,000 in a very short term. Countries that have didn't. Can't find their charts for spread.

yep - and that's why I feel the govt will take some pretty serious action in the next 1 - 3 days.  If you close schools it also forces parents to limit their work movements and if you combine that with shutting down big events you can probably knock 40% off the transmission rate without any too much additional action.  We have the luxury of comparing the paths/actions of other countries & cherry picking the best response.  This isn't the chart I was looking for (the one I was after compared Singapore, HK, Japan, China, Italy & Aus) but it is close enough.  Italy went from 100 to 10000 in 2 weeks.  We are well past 100.  The govt will aim to get to 10000 in months rather than weeks and that's only possible by locking things down a bit (and yet at the same time they don't wish to scare the punters...panic buying etc).  A very skinny tightrope to walk :)

image026 (1).png