1986 944 "Barn Find"

Just after some "what do I do next". On a recent visit to a friends grand fathers place I discovered under a whole lot of sheets and tarps (under a water tight car port) a 1986 944. It has not been used for 20 years and I am not even sure what works and what does not. My friend or I are not into restoration or even parts salvaging etc. Just after advice regarding if anyone would have interest in it and if its worth anything at all. 

Appreciate any advice or interest. 

IMG_6458.jpg

IMG_6459.jpg

IMG_6461.jpg

IMG_6460.jpg

An oval dash 944 in an interesting colour combo! For the right buyer, its a nice little project... 

The things that will go against it are the fact its auto and it can be quite costly to go through a proper mechanical recommissioning, I did a recommission of a similar length of storage 924, you'll be replacing most of the brake components with rubber (hoses, caliber rebuilds, master cylinder etc) then the same goes with the fuel system, all the rubber hoses will need doing and the same should really go for the AT cooler lines (if applicable) then of course the coolant hoses, water pump, timing and drive belts and so forth. Then you need to make sure the fuel system is cleaned out and not corroded inside as 99.99% chance moisture has gotten in there over the 20 years. Oh and tyres.. 

Its not a deal breaker and someone with the time and skills can do a DIY on it, but it will stack up on the cost of parts, even more so if someone needs to pay a shop to do it! 

Dont hold me to these numbers but if it were a good clean running, registered manual example I'd imagine the ask on something like that to be circa $20k +/- 

The fact its an auto will take a hit, then the re-commission work would probably run in the $5-10k ~ I would imagine a fair price to sell it to the right person around $5-10k assuming everything else is in good order, documents are good and so forth... that will be a cool project for someone! 

Good

Similar one for sale here in Adelaide at the moment, same colour 1984 manual  , but in really nice condition, recent timing belt change etc for $14K, and it has been for sale for a long time.

Looks like this car would need full recommissioning, along with timing belts changed, new tyres etc, and it's a dreaded automatic, would need to start around $8K and take offers.

I think $15-20k for that is way over the top, sorry to rain on your parade but probably $4-7k is more the range for that car how it stands right now.

Just an honest opinion, correct me if i am wrong.

Auto's don't sell well and that particular car car will need upwards of $10k just to get it mobile.

An oval dash car is more sought after but anyone who knows these cars won't be paying overs for an auto, barn find or not.

27 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

I think $15-20k for that is way over the top, sorry to rain on your parade but probably $4-7k is more the range for that car how it stands right now.

Auto's don't sell well and that particular car car will need upwards of $10k just to get it mobile.

An oval dash car is more sought after but anyone who knows these cars won't be paying overs for an auto, barn find or not.

$15-20k for a sorted one in great condition - if you can find the right buyer looking for an auto. As it stands I would agree with you, around 5k, probably less.

The market I would suggest is against this it’s always great to see a barn find but the money needed to recommission this one makes it worth maybe a couple of grand if lucky.I got offered a manual one a couple of weeks ago with $$$ already spent on the engine for just over $10k.You do see cars for sale on carsales but they just hang around forever 

Having done a full driveline / brakes build on a 924 and a top end build on a 944 I have to agree that something like this you need to get into at a very cheap price cause even doing it yourself would only be for the love of it.

I soon discovered that its not until you are  in there that the true extent of internal corosion is revealed and thats when the dollars start to flow.

2 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

Couldn't agree more Tingy.  Unless someone want's an auto for a very specific reason ie city commuter/ medical reason etc the autos are a mill stone.

Even doing the work yourself, the parts aren't cheap (especially now that the dollar is so shit & freight is so ridiculous from US/ UK (don't forget the taxes now too).

I'd have an auto as a commuter but only if I got it very, very cheap.  I've driven a 968 auto & it was actually pretty good but the 944's even the newer oval dash update cars are pretty lackluster. 

If the car was generally solid & you were mad enough (read stupid enough or wealthy enough or time-rich enough 😀) to try converting it to manual it might be a goer.  Or of course a good parts car to bring back a good manual that's been neglected. 

I bought nearly a complete interior from an auto from Adelaide with very few k's that had been parked up in a garage for 20 years or so when I was fixing up my S2.

6 hours ago, MARTY said:

The market I would suggest is against this it’s always great to see a barn find but the money needed to recommission this one makes it worth maybe a couple of grand if lucky.I got offered a manual one a couple of weeks ago with $$$ already spent on the engine for just over $10k.You do see cars for sale on carsales but they just hang around forever 

very true, a couple of grand at best.  It's worth more as parts if you had the time.

Agree with low price and parts expense. Body and interior look good, dash cracks ? Was it running when parked up, does it crank over and how many Km's ?

On 13/03/2020 at 14:37, Russell said:

Appreciate any advice or interest. 

Agree with low price and parts expense. Body and interior look good, dash cracks ? Was it running when parked up, does it crank over and how many Km's ?