911 turbo

Ryanb

Hi guys 

im trying to find out some information on this 1972 911. It’s got the turbo badge on the boot the BAR dial (which I’m assuming is the boost pressure) in the gauges on the dash but a N/A motor in it! Not sure if it’s an original 911 turbo that’s had an engine swap. I will post photos of car and numbers. Any help would be much appreciated. 
thanks 

966EFE5E-4B55-40B5-975F-96EDE107158E.jpeg

8FE7E584-D804-43CC-B404-7F72F2272394.jpeg

FEC884F3-7748-4466-BA2C-5EC3FCC85FFC.jpeg

4059B5AE-0679-4D7A-AC8B-DD84EF26A46A.jpeg

F25D50ED-C135-4A75-A1B7-F08DFCB64877.jpeg

7E56F080-425F-45D0-93FB-25B91EF5A16D.jpeg

Without checking any numbers Ryan it looks like a forward dated LHD car that's been converted to RHD and impact bumpers and had a wide body conversion done and a 3.2 engine from a 84 to 89 cab installed.

Oh, and a turbo badge stuck on the back!

Original it ain't, bitsa it is!

Google Porsche number decoder will give you more specific details.

First Turbo came out in '75

Hahaha it’s not mine I’m looking to restore it for someone but we’re not sure if it’s worth it or not. I’m not sure where the vin is located but I have other number off it. Where would or should the vin be it’s not even on the registration papers?

Pre VIN but the chassis decodes as:

911T/E

Coupe

Unfortunately it would be worth much more if hadn't been converted to RHD and later G Model bodywork.

Nicely restored in it's current configuration I'm suggesting maybe $35 to $45k.  If it was how it was when it left the factory, ie longhood, LHD, matching engine and narrow bodied, it would be worth another $100k or so on top of this.

The condition of the engine and transmission will probably determine if it is worth restoring or not.   Looking at suggests you'll probably make more money breaking it for parts.

Suggest you post some more photos to elicit more informed feedback and carefully estimate the costs of restoring as looks a money pit to me.  

28 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Pre VIN but the chassis decodes as:

911T/E

Coupe

correct - followed by serial/production number 0310 ie 911(model) /2 (year1972) /1 (T/E model shown above code)/ 0(coupe)/0310 (serial No)

42 minutes ago, Ryanb said:

Hahaha it’s not mine I’m looking to restore it for someone but we’re not sure if it’s worth it or not.

As a '72, its definitley worth restoring back to original if the customer enjoys spending money, as they're a one year only oil filler door just under the RH quarter window ontop of the rear guard, and some value them very highly. There was 12,962 built, so this one is a very early build number. As a forward dated, converted impact bumper car, just clean it up and drive it, as its not worth spending a motza on it. Or you could turn it into an RSR backdate which is reasonably easy and wouldnt cost the earth (depending on their budget) 

1 hour ago, Ryanb said:

I appreciate all the help and feedback guys thank you. I will have a talk to the customer and see where we go from here as the engine needs restoring and have been quote $30k just in that.

Get onto @Mike D'Silva for an engine rebuild quote. He's in Brisbane, yet might be able to help

On 14/03/2020 at 22:47, Ryanb said:

I appreciate all the help and feedback guys thank you. I will have a talk to the customer and see where we go from here as the engine needs restoring and have been quote $30k just in that.

Ryan

I can DEFINATELY help you rebuild the motor for a lot less than 30k!!!

www.aircooledporsches.com.au

has my email and phone numbers