Back Jacked up and wheels don't drive

finnystew

Hi all, hope you're doing okay.

Bit of a strange dilemma. I have the rear of my 88 944s jacked up with the idea of using the drive train as a lathe for polishing my wheel lips.

Unfortunately when I run the engine, in gear, hand brake off, the wheels don't spin! Theres also some clunking sounds coming the drivetrain.

I might be missing something but this does not add up for me. The car drives around fine..

IMG_9992.jpg

No idea why it's not turning but I would not be having your engine running and in gear with it jacked up like that.

Murphy will have a field day.

If you must have it jacked up see if you can somehow rig up a belt to the wheel and turn the wheel from an aux electric motor of some sort.

Just my 2c worth.

Car must not have been in gear properly, or you have an open diff and it's just spinning the opposite wheel when you add resistance from polishing.

I've had the same idea before to polish some lips, but it actually took forever. I ended up just used this method for a bit of wet sanding, and then for the polishing I used one of these drill attachments from supercheap auto. Works a lot quicker than using the car to spin the wheels. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-toolpro-polishing-ball---125mm/386603.html?cgid=SCA01011102#start=36

6 minutes ago, Timm said:

Car must not have been in gear properly, or you have an open diff and it's just spinning the opposite wheel when you add resistance from polishing.

I've had the same idea before to polish some lips, but it actually took forever. I ended up just used this method for a bit of wet sanding, and then for the polishing I used one of these drill attachments from supercheap auto. Works a lot quicker than using the car to spin the wheels. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-toolpro-polishing-ball---125mm/386603.html?cgid=SCA01011102#start=36

Maybe.. I tried 1st, 3rd, and 5th. Neither of the wheels were spinning, I didn't even get to start sanding. Although I have just noticed my left rear brake rotor is dragging on the pads!

Unfortunately my wheels' had corrosion and bad gutter rash so i had to sand that back with 60 grit rotary tool. 

My head was starting to spin from all this sanding so I've dropped them off at the local powder coater. They're going to see if they can two a two tone job for me.

1 hour ago, MFX said:

There is no mechanical reason that shouldn't work. Either you haven't got it in gear properly, or something is broken. Put it back on it's wheels and see if it will drive.

My thoughts exactly. Drives okay apart from some rocking back and forth on slight throttle.

Ended up just getting them sand blasted and powder coated black. Saved myself weeks of sanding. Im very happy with the result. I might get a silver lip later down the track though.

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_5690.jpg