997 C2 Mods and the results

Raven

Yep they are crap but some claim they are the best thing  :Chuckle2: 

You can clearly see that the factory did a good job on the production airbox ,one of the best back to back dyno test video,s I have seen they went to great lengths to keep the conditions the same for all test runs and the results speak for themselves ,,even the K&N low restriction air filter has very minimum  gain 2 HP ...Local Sydney guys too good honest approach ...

3 hours ago, Raven said:

Yep they are crap but some claim they are the best thing  :Chuckle2: 

You can clearly see that the factory did a good job on the production airbox ,one of the best back to back dyno test video,s I have seen they went to great lengths to keep the conditions the same for all test runs and the results speak for themselves ,,even the K&N low restriction air filter has very minimum  gain 2 HP ...Local Sydney guys too good honest approach ...

I Did some testing ( just for my own peace of mind)years ago on the K&N and found that when oiled properly it was more  restrictive than the Std paper element on my Ducati 851 and the oil gummed up the altitude sensor in the airbox, and  when run with no  oil it made zero difference to performance, I personally think the have their place in super dusty conditions , but not for performance gains, just a personal opinion and results may vary depending on Bla bla bla bla bla 

IMO the intake is a waste of time - the original is the best - also those non paper filters aren't worth it - hard to clean and has to be oiled and the oil can destroy the MAF

I have an IPD plenum though I believe in those but they aren't cheap thats the only downside

1 hour ago, Dave986 said:

I might do the resonator mod for the sound, but that'd be it.

Would have liked to see the Cost per Hp for these mods.

I wouldn't do the resonator mod - there is quite a bit of science behind the airflow/intake and the resonator muffler actually smooths the air pulses so the MAF can accurately read the airflow.

helmholtz_description_d0667b7dd8bf6c8c1b

1 hour ago, Dave986 said:

EDIT  Ahhh - Dan has beaten me to it.....

Be careful about removing / blanking off the resonator, called the Helmholtz Resonator as it not only changes the sound (which is minimal) but also affects the volumetric efficiency of cylinder filling.

4 hours ago, Dave986 said:

Would have liked to see the Cost per Hp for these mods.

Love a bang for buck butt dyno mod, but PEAK hp increase isn't the all encompassing take it or leave it metric on whether its worth doing is it?

Non stock air filters don't pair up as good with MAF sensors in general,  but my butt dyno reading ticks a big induction peak noise increase  leaving my driveway over a paper  on my butt dyno peak induction noise meter

Surely if your looking at hp, it's a tune and exhaust first  on most sports cars instead  of tinkering at the edges on secondary mods ( plenums and volumetric air intake mods may work better with a tune).  Plus tuning for some ain't just about peak hp dyno numbers  but about butt dyno throttle response across each gear / rev range along with torque improvements ( not necessarily just peak numbers, eg area under a dyno curve) 

Reckon the best bang for buck hp mod in that video runs at   $125 per chp.   ( air filter)

I ran at circa  $95 per chp on my first round of p car bang for buck mods.  Not a big difference on that metric. 

But  $ 125 p/chp  for a peak increase of circa  2.5hp on that 997 in that video  vs    $ 95 p/chp for a peak increase of 60 chp on my car is a massive difference if peak hp numbers is where it is all at.  Eg good luck spending another circa 5k on that 997 to get another 50chp.

The butt dyno is as accurate as the name implies, quite often  a drop off  in midrange followed by a steeper rise to where you started, and sometimes lower, Multiplied by the dollars you spent gives your butt the answer it was looking for