A gooey radio button - 2008 boxster s

Philbee

Hi Team Boxster,

Obviously a life threatening issue here... but the right side radio knob has gone kinda  sticky to touch but the left one is ok.

I want to just pull the little sucker off and push on a new one but is that how it works? Don’t wanna yank on it and then find I’ve broken it and need to replace the radio or the whole dashboard ( yes, my an ex-Alfa owner)!

Any insights into a gentle and well informed way of removing me button will be appreciated. And am I right to assume I can then just order/buy a button from the local stealership (& be charged a small fortune I expect) and just push it on?

simples. Or is it?  🤷‍♂️

And driving to the dealership to pickup said button will be an essential service and obviously exempt from isolation fines... 😇

philbee 

(Under button stress)

20 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Hi Team Boxster,

Obviously a life threatening issue here... but the right side radio knob has gone kinda  sticky to touch but the left one is ok.

I want to just pull the little sucker off and push on a new one but is that how it works? Don’t wanna yank on it and then find I’ve broken it and need to replace the radio or the whole dashboard ( yes, my an ex-Alfa owner)!

Any insights into a gentle and well informed way of removing me button will be appreciated. And am I right to assume I can then just order/buy a button from the local stealership (& be charged a small fortune I expect) and just push it on?

simples. Or is it?  🤷‍♂️

And driving to the dealership to pickup said button will be an essential service and obviously exempt from isolation fines... 😇

philbee 

(Under button stress)

There's a guy that promotes pretty regularly on FB Porsche Oz pages his leather / upholstery business, and he has a fix or can fix them for you

17 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

There's a guy that promotes pretty regularly on FB Porsche Oz pages his leather / upholstery business, and he has a fix or can fix them for you

Yeah, I know him. I’ve used him many years back on my beemer.  was just looking at a local option. But yeah, he’d be a backup if no success.

28 minutes ago, firstone said:

It'll come off without breaking it.

I soaked mine in a solution of water and dish liquid. Pretty heavy on the soap.

2 days later wiped it of with a chux. It's gooy coming off but fine once it's done. 4 yrs and still fine.

Perfect, just what I wanted to hear. That was my guess. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Don’t wanna yank on it and then find I’ve broken it and need to replace the radio or the whole dashboard ( yes, my an ex-Alfa owner)!

Hey Philbee,

I have had a past Alfa obsession as well - I can relate.

You may recall the Alfa 932/937 series cars (156 & 147) have the same issue, sticky internal plastics. They used that rubberised coating that seems to last no time in Aus.  Some solutions i found to remove it were to use Napisan - and soak it. Rub a little after, then clean off. Also, have used Metho. With the Metho, you can rub, rub and rub some more till it removes the goo, then wash with water. This is quicker -  Both have been effective for me, and plastics have been fine since. 

2 hours ago, luzzo said:

Hey Philbee,

I have had a past Alfa obsession as well - I can relate.

You may recall the Alfa 932/937 series cars (156 & 147) have the same issue, sticky internal plastics. They used that rubberised coating that seems to last no time in Aus.  Some solutions i found to remove it were to use Napisan - and soak it. Rub a little after, then clean off. Also, have used Metho. With the Metho, you can rub, rub and rub some more till it removes the goo, then wash with water. This is quicker -  Both have been effective for me, and plastics have been fine since. 

Ah the Alfa, the poor mans ferrari. Boy mine was high maintenance, things kept falling off or breaking or leaking. Otherwise it was great.

thanks for the suggestion. Like it. But I’ve already pulled the button and trying @firstone suggestion. It’s now soaking as we speak! But a good backup plan.

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Had this issue when I bought my 06 987 CS. Just pull off the buttons, soak in a hot soapy dish and then it should all wipe off with a chux cloth.

Yes, I did just that and have just rinsed and wiped and popped the little guy back on. Happy days.  Thanks to the brains trust above as mine is obviously not to be trusted!!