Jump to content
Lucky Phil

Trickle charger advice please

Recommended Posts

Being locked down at home and really only going out for groceries once a week in our Subaru (the shopping car, we call it), I am worried the other cars are not be getting used enough and the batteries will run flat (both cars have been sitting still for two weeks now). 

I think it is time to buy a couple of trickle chargers.  Could I have some advice on best brand, where to buy (online) and then how do you plug them into the cars (1 x 981 Boxster and 1 x C Class Mercedes).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ctek per Carrera's advice are the best, and what Porsche stickers over as I understand.  

I've got about 4-5 of the projecta ones which I've never had any issues with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I just buy 1 and swap it over to each car on a day to day basis or does it have to remain constantly on charge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Can I just buy 1 and swap it over to each car on a day to day basis or does it have to remain constantly on charge?

Swapping is fine but you’ll get sick of it pretty quickly. I hook mine up to the cup car periodically just to give it a maintenance charge. Perhaps there is an argument for leaving it constantly on maintenance but I’ve never felt comfortable leaving them plugged in for weeks/months on end. I have a ctek and also a noco genius and the ctek craps all over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I left my boxster alone for 3 weeks and then tried to start it and it was dead, even had PSM failure error on the display. After 3 days on charger back up & running!! 😁

I use ctek 

I’m now flipping between the 911 & the boxster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the Ctek on my 911 same as the the Porsche one ,,,,,,,,,,never had a issue easy to use hook it up and let it do it magic ,last battery lasted 5 years only just replaced it .

I just clip it to the battery direct and shut the front trunk on the cable ,its thin enough and plug it in ............Simple works great 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use that model too. I ordered in the extension for it as needed longer leads in my garage. I fitted the ring terminal connector to battery(I had to open them up a little) and leave them permanently mounted to battery and just plug  charger in when I park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for  the Ctek charger.

It has a reconditioning cycle that works well - It has brought batteries back to life that I thought were dead and gone.

Another trick: it can be used on car batteries as well as motorcycle batteries - different setting for each. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have all my cars on CTEK chargers , have been using them for years no problems and have extended battery life . Just unplug and drive away !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also am a fan of the CTEK it's plugged in whenever the car is not driven and the car will at times not move for weeks. I'm into my fifth year of ownership and the battery is as strong as it was when the car arrived into my garage. I have the cigarette lighter attachment, so again I just remove the cigarette lighter in the consul and plug in, job done. The car is a 997 S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others mentioned. Ctek 5.0 with the ciggie lighter adapter.

Side note, different states and different restrictions but is it now officially not ok for us to go for a casual drive even if its solo??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 911 Snake said:

Side note, different states and different restrictions but is it now officially not ok for us to go for a casual drive even if its solo??

Yes, as I understand in Vic, that would not be ok. We are now only supposed to be leaving the house for Work, Food, Doctors/Healthcare or excerise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two c-teks always plugged in and never an issue.

I have the terminals on the battery which is easy to unplug and go.  I can see merit with the internal cigarette lighter option as I have always worried about jumping in the car and taking off with the charger still connected...….especially as the years tick by and my brain could do with a re-charge itself.  I will often leave my doorpocket microfibre over the steering wheel as a gently reminder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 911 Snake said:

As others mentioned. Ctek 5.0 with the ciggie lighter adapter.

Side note, different states and different restrictions but is it now officially not ok for us to go for a casual drive even if its solo??

 

7 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Yes, as I understand in Vic, that would not be ok. We are now only supposed to be leaving the house for Work, Food, Doctors/Healthcare or excerise.

Not breaking any law, you alone in the car driving through the hills (or anywhere for that matter) . "Not supposed to" is a recommendation not a law. The recommendation is "not supposed to" leave home unnecessarily and for various reasons, NOT "not allowed to" leave home. If I want to get in my car by myself, stay in my car and drive anywhere in Vic I'm going to. 

Of course probably not a good look for 5 Porsches tailing each other through the spur and inviting some sort of police attention, never pays to be or appear to be a dick.

But one guy in his car, staying in his car, and maybe buying a take away coffee in a town, sitting in car drinking it and then driving home is absolutely reasonable and not breaking any law in Vic. Of course if a cop stopped you and said get on home there would be no need to give him a 2 finger salute and if you were smart no need to incur his wrath and invite a roadworthy check over - Courtesy works wonders ..... but going for a drive in isolation I don't see a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out Victron IP65 chargers, similar price to Cteck, but in my opinion far superior, they have onboard Bluetooth that lets you check the status and rate of charge of the battery. 

Warren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

 

Not breaking any law, you alone in the car driving through the hills (or anywhere for that matter) . "Not supposed to" is a recommendation not a law. The recommendation is "not supposed to" leave home unnecessarily and for various reasons, NOT "not allowed to" leave home. If I want to get in my car by myself, stay in my car and drive anywhere in Vic I'm going to. 

Of course probably not a good look for 5 Porsches tailing each other through the spur and inviting some sort of police attention, never pays to be or appear to be a dick.

But one guy in his car, staying in his car, and maybe buying a take away coffee in a town, sitting in car drinking it and then driving home is absolutely reasonable and not breaking any law in Vic. Of course if a cop stopped you and said get on home there would be no need to give him a 2 finger salute and if you were smart no need to incur his wrath and invite a roadworthy check over - Courtesy works wonders ..... but going for a drive in isolation I don't see a problem.

My thoughts exactly! 

It's not advisable but you're not breaking the law. Just don't want to cop a fine if I'm out and about by myself for a SMT.

Our cars need exercise too 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed yes they do, our gals in the garage can be quite temperamental if not taken for an outing every now and again! Good exercise for us blokes' mental health as well. In fact  after buying a couple of Ctek 5's from Repco today, me n my gal had a little 100klm spurt across the Dandenongs this arvo :Innocent:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay C-Tek. Lots of models depending on your price bracket (they name the Porsche branded one). I agree with the Mx-5.0. mine from sparesbox.auto on ebay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For that price.....you buy one for the whole clan - bargain!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jim45 said:

I was about to go to REPCO and get one and saw this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CTEK-MXS-5-0-12V-5A-Battery-Charger-MXS5-0/184306205659?hash=item2ae98183db:g:5SEAAOSwz1peTYsO#shpCntId

$19 - that's gotta be a mistake surely?

Jim.

Just bought one - worth the punt.

 

8 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

For that price.....you buy one for the whole clan - bargain!!!

That's $100 off Repco retail - you'd think it's a typo but says already sold 200. I don't need em but think I'll buy 10 just to save some money:huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...I couldn't resist and bought another for a spare, spare. Worse case, I just flushed $20. Worth the punt if you ask me ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...