Trickle charger advice please

Lucky Phil

I just purchased the Ctek 5.

Is it ok to leave it plugged in all the time? Or do some of you periodically disconnect it. Even when the car is not in use

I've also noticed that the connector is too small for my battery bolt. Has anyone modified it? Thinking whether I should drill the hole bigger or just cut it and open the ring. 

2 hours ago, wangan said:

Is it ok to leave it plugged in all the time? Or do some of you periodically disconnect it. Even when the car is not in use

I've also noticed that the connector is too small for my battery bolt. Has anyone modified it? Thinking whether I should drill the hole bigger or just cut it and open the ring. 

I also leave mine plugged in as they just cycle through and monitor when no charging is required.

Take care if you drill the hole bigger as the material is thin and the drill bit may grab and rip the ring apart if too much pressure is applied.  An older drill bit may be more forgiving, there isn't much to hold onto, I was successful with one unit and ripped the other, had to recrimp a new eyelet.  Maybe try opening up with a round file slowly.

7 hours ago, wangan said:

Yep .. fine to leave plugged in all the time .. just don't forget to disconnect it when you go for a drive! .. 😅

In terms of the eyelets ... just snip them off and crimp on some new ones. Done.

7 hours ago, Stepo said:

Take care if you drill the hole bigger as the material is thin and the drill bit may grab and rip the ring apart if too much pressure is applied.  An older drill bit may be more forgiving, there isn't much to hold onto, I was successful with one unit and ripped the other, had to recrimp a new eyelet.  Maybe try opening up with a round file slowly.

wagan,

Use a pair of pliers to hold one side of the connector with if flat on a piece of wood as you drill it.  No harm can occur to you then.

3 hours ago, Russ said:

you can buy a CTEK part with bigger connectors if you don't want to modify your own. I think it's M10 vs M8

Thanks @Russ, I'll take a look.

2 hours ago, Grimmy said:

Be aware that if it is a modern model with a battery monitoring circuit it is not recommended to connect directly to the NEGATIVE terminal. There is a post that is specifically assigned for the connection.

It's 3.2 with a Bond ultimate battery. I thought, the neg terminal on the battery was fine. If anyone can confirm? 

44 minutes ago, Peter M said:

wagan,

Use a pair of pliers to hold one side of the connector with if flat on a piece of wood as you drill it.  No harm can occur to you then.

Thanks @Peter. I'll give it a go tomorrow at work. 

1 hour ago, wangan said:

It's 3.2 with a Bond ultimate battery. I thought, the neg terminal on the battery was fine. If anyone can confirm? . 

No problem with connecting directly to the battery terminals.  Just suggest the charger is off when you do it so there is no risk of a spark igniting any vented hydrogen.

I suspect manufacturers now provide an earthing point away from the battery for jump starting to avoid this risk.

If so these are designed to have the eyelets connect directly to the existing battery clamps.

In terms of safety, the charger plugs into the harness socket away from battery and the risk of collected hydrogen.  The Ctek's also have an antisparking feature too so even if you forget to turn the charger off before your reconnect, you're doubly safe!

• 1 month later...
On 03/03/2021 at 15:23, 911virgin said:

do 993's have the cigarette lighter plug in option for a CTEK battery charger?

If the 993 has a cigarette lighter  socket it should work  in theory,  But an Auto Elec tech would be able to give you a more confident  answer.