Clutch plus pressure plate saturated with oil

privatepang

Hey guys, so clutch was slipping really badly and ended up having to split the 915 trans from the engine. Trans (rebuilt unit not long ago..) is leaking thru the input shaft area and saturated my clutch and pressure plate. Clutch otherwise has minimal wear. I've done maybe 2000kms on it. Curious if this means I need to replace it due to the oil contamination ? 

On the safe side replace the friction plate disc of the clutch ,had a friend who had a same issue with gearbox oil leak contaminating the friction plate material ..

He cleaned up the disc material with degreaser and chemical cleaners prior to re instillation thinking that it would be ok ,but ended up having to remove the gearbox again and replace the friction disc as the clutch keep slipping at higher RPM due to the oil contamination in the disc friction material .

In his case it would have been less of a headache to spend the $$$ and replace the friction Disc first up .. 

In the olden days you could pour methylated spirits over the plate (or brake shoes) then light it.  This would draw out the oil or brake fluid, then lightly sand the plate (or shoe).

Worked a treat.

Of course, these were the days of riveted asbestos pads.....😧

8 hours ago, OZ930 said:

In the olden days you could pour methylated spirits over the plate (or brake shoes) then light it.  This would draw out the oil or brake fluid, then lightly sand the plate (or shoe).

Worked a treat.

Of course, these were the days of riveted asbestos pads.....😧

It's a wonder you're here to tell the tale.

Asbestos not good for you apparently.

20 hours ago, OZ930 said:

LOL, I'd forgotten doing that! 

• 2 months later...

So hoping for some ideas here. Ended getting the car back and we've been trying to diagnose this sizeable oil leak which always appears near the omega spring area and where the gearbox meets the engine. Had a look at the engine bay and noticed it was wet around the triangle of death area so replaced all the thermastat seals, o ring seal and  the oil pressure switch and now the top is dry but the same area underneath remains super oily. I read on PP that people have had similar issues and it was because the flywheel seal was installed backwards and the due to the triangle of death. When we replaced the clutch , we didnt touch the flywheel seal and it definitely wasnt leaking like this prior to splitting the engine and tranny.... We did remove the flywheel and pressure plate to inspect for damage but that was about it.

Any other ideas of where this could be coming from? Definitely seems like engine oil and not gearbox oil. Checked all the oil lines that i can see from the bottom of the car and they are all dry.... engine bay seems dry now as well after we changed the triangle of death seals + switch....last resort is to drop the engine again but trying to avoid that if possible..

From doing more searches, it may be the rear main seal... doh that would require dropping the engine again.. We did remove the flywheel to get it machined so this sort of makes sense. Not sure what other seals i really should change whilst we do it. Input shaft seal already done..