Seat Restoration

Doish13

Hi all been a while since I tinkered on the car. As on home detention figured a good opportunity to tie up some old loose ends on the 78 SC. 

There was an excellent thread I read here about 5 years ago and just can’t find it. Can anyone please help.

Can someone help me find out what the original front seat material design / pattern was for my car? Some say the VIN may reveal this - is there a key on this info? Car is a UK sold car or potentially Ireland I believe.

Also can anyone recommend where to purchase good original pattern style seat materials / skins from and finally a place in Sydney who can do a great job on the seat resto.

Currently sitting on skins I placed on myself (with help) a few years back as the seats then were ripped and these skins are coming apart plus the foam is flat as a pancake.

Any help to work out my original pattern and where to have them restored would be greatly appreciated.

There are a number of places O/S to get original material ...

Werk924... site in German but easy to navigate and they speak English... just go to "shop" tab  http://www.werk924.com

Lakewell  .... https://www.lakewell.com/en/porsche

You should be able to contact Porsche Britain for delivery info ..

Good luck and send us photos .. 😃

The original materials should be available in Australia, I believe.  Most competent motor trimmers have a list of suppliers who can get the correct vinyls and leathers. I managed to get the correct vinyl for my 62 356 though a local trimmer in QLD at fraction of the price sought overseas.  Similarly for G series cars.   Prostitch in Sydney has a good range but can be very slow.

I had a couple of experiences with Prostitch.  The first was they had the correct pattern vinyl.  The second was it took forever to come and was not cheap.  I took it to my local trimmer with lots of photos of correct seats to get the retrimming done.  He told me he could get the same vinyl at around half the cost.  He recovered both seats with new edging and foam for around $700.  Matched the rest of the original trim on the car perfectly.  Gets lots of photos of correct seats, and find the right pattern vinyl and then see some local trimmers.  Ask to see examples/ photos of their work and make your decision.  You can buy pre- made seat covers, at a price, but you may also find the padding and shaping wires under the old covers are buggered. With a local trimmer you can take things in stages and they have the expertise to shape and fit things.

Mate this is exactly the guidance I am after thank you. Will look for a local SYDNEY co. To take a look at this. Worst case would still be cheaper posting seats there and back. Eg my bike from sunshine cost delivered to my door was only $300 and that’s weighing in at 150kg.

The price is right and what blows me away is the premiums we now pay for these jobs. Perhaps a factor of less people doing these jobs than 20 years ago for sure. 

Had a great call with Willoughby P yesterday and have some touch up paint and a full delivery spec document on its way with all seat details etc.

What is your car (model/year)?  The important thing is to get the correct profile/shape on the seats - base, sides, back.  Each model is a bit different.  The choice of material (type, colour etc.) is the last thing. I may have some images I can send.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/04/2020 at 17:03, Merv said:

What is your car (model/year)?  The important thing is to get the correct profile/shape on the seats - base, sides, back.  Each model is a bit different.  The choice of material (type, colour etc.) is the last thing. I may have some images I can send.

Mate it’s a 78 SC UK delivered. Thanks for your help.

• 1 year later...
On 10/04/2020 at 17:03, Merv said:

Merv

OK then Doish.  If your car is a UK 78 SC then the attached link to a file shows the GB specifications for seats (among other colours for different areas of the car.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/classic/genuinepartsandhistoricaldocuments/historicaldocuments/colourcharts911g/

Also Heritage in the UK has some info:

https://www.heritagetrim.com/porsche/porsche-911-912-930/911-930/ 

It would seem some tartan is needed in yours for the inserts (Green for its Irish heritage?). Check the file and see if your model had leather or Porsche vinyl.  Most motor trimmers have a wide range of supply agents and samples.  I went to a local guy as above but now my neighbour Col Curtis has recently done some early Carreras here and has done tartan inserts in the past.  He is very reasonable in price and really does how homework first and communicates well along the way (very important).  You could buy a pre-made 'kit' overseas (Sierra Madre, and others) and then get them fitted but it is often better to work with a decent trimmer to get exactly what you want.  It depends on how you feel about originality and enhancing the value of the car.

I found a weaver in Aberdeen who made me the tartan that I wanted in Scotchguarded wool and it was stunning and durable.  However, there are lots of different tartan materials around (wool, cotton, poly-blends, etc) to chose from and motor trimmers can get samples for you.  I see you are in Sydney and there are plenty there to talk to. ProStitch in Sydney have a good range but they are usually very busy.  Best to call them on the phone first.

I attach an image of a '77 model near me - one owner untouched car with its original seats, for information.

I am not sure if this answers your questions or exactly what you want to achieve. It may also be possible repair the existing seats with a decent trimmer.

Green car interior.JPG