USE OF CLUB PERMIT VEHICLES - DURING CORONA VIRUS PERIOD

Niko

For Victorian owners of Club Permit Vehicles.    Food for thought at least.

After just hearing on the radio about the Mornington Peninsula Police booking a Learner driver who was in with her mum, it is getting serious out there.

($1600.00 on the spot and the Learner Driver wore it)

It is now under review.....

If you are out driving and it doesn't fit the exemption criterea, you look like your fair game, but even more so if your in your Club Registered car. 

.369519991_ScreenShot2020-04-06at11_09_42am.thumb.png.f613cf64fd046424bdc7e02fa3015ab8.png

WTF

Australian police are out of control.

They’d just love to load people into gulags for re-education. 

Sorry to any coppers reading but that is messed up.

Some of them must be happy as a dog with two tails being able to apprehend and fine anyone for the crime of going about their day.

Going for a drive is infinitesimally small risk of spreading disease.

32 minutes ago, Coastr said:

WTF

Australian police are out of control.

They’d just love to load people into gulags for re-education. 

Sorry to any coppers reading but that is messed up.

Some of them must be happy as a dog with two tails being able to apprehend and fine anyone for the crime of going about their day.

Going for a drive is infinitesimally small risk of spreading disease.

As a retired one.....I think they should definitely be exercising a bit of discretion.

As far as the local hoons go.....I would be as happy as a dog with two tails.   

wtf indeed.

My Learner has been driving at any opportunity whenever we get the weekly shop.

Its the only thing she has as an outlet, and even more challenging now to try and keep any hours up, let anyone maintain some form of family normality.

Plus if the whole ATAR for year 12 is being suggested to be scrapped this year, thats the making for one unhappy camper right there.

Club rego limitations atm I can understand.

So many local cars on club rego are just wrong anyhow, including using a club rego'd vehicle for business purposes.

Or the plates are on cars outside the spirit of the system, not historic or special, just old.

Apparently a couple just sitting in their car was fined $1000 last week.

Geez how about issuing a $50 warning fine first which would then be recorded and if caught again then issue the $1000 fine.

Yes I get the "what part of staying home do you not understand" but bloody hell that's a bit draconian.

Wasn't it $1000 each?

There was also a woman sitting in the passenger seat of a delivery driver's car who was fined $1000.

In both of these instances the people in question responded with 'I was bored', moral of the story your response should always be 'I'm on the way to check on my infirm mother'.

2 hours ago, deano said:

wtf indeed.

My Learner has been driving at any opportunity whenever we get the weekly shop.

Its the only thing she has as an outlet, and even more challenging now to try and keep any hours up, let anyone maintain some form of family normality.

It is being challenged in Court, apparently it can come under education....for which you are allowed to be in a car or out from your place of residence for.

Also the local Police boss of the Peninsula here,  Bobby Hill, who is a good bloke, is re assessing the situation.

Not being sexist here, but it was a female Highway Patrol member, who said they were also too far from their place of residence. WTF indeed.

1 hour ago, firstone said:

I just see a club giving a heads up. I guess they don't want any grief. 

I just got another notice from another club stating exactly the same, so I think they are all getting the word out.

13 minutes ago, Niko said:

It is being challenged in Court, apparently it can come under education....for which you are allowed to be in a car or out from your place of residence for.

Also the local Police boss of the Peninsula here,  Bobby Hill, who is a good bloke, is re assessing the situation.

Not being sexist here, but it was a female Highway Patrol member, who said they were also too far from their place of residence. WTF indeed.

Just off the radio...The Chief Health officer has said Learner Driving is not essential, and is not covered in the exemptions.

In this case however discretion may be applied and that the On the Spot fine was issued legitimately.

This case has highlighted the fact that it is not to be done.

-------------------------------------

Bit hard, 17 year old daughter with her Mum who she lives with.   Went out last night in the rain to get experience for her 120 hours in night and rain driving.

But apparently now not acceptable....

19 minutes ago, firstone said:

Wow.

That's tough, take some fishing gear and head for a spot. Rods out the window. 😉

Not if you're in Victoria :Sweating:

VictoriaPoliceVictoria 

Police@VictoriaPolice· 1 Apr

We are asking the community to use common sense to stop the spread of this deadly virus. These are unprecedented times.

People cannot participate in recreational activities like they normally would such as fishing or boating.

3 minutes ago, firstone said:

Apparently fish is food.

That's why nsw turned around after banning it.

I hear borders might be handy for the odd times you need to close them but for all other things they just add total confusion, costs and hidey holes for the untouchables.

Footage recently of a youngish copper up here in (what looked like) the eastern suburbs telling people 'a quick walk around the block then go home' when they were out 'exercising' or whatever.  We've gone into a pretty full lockdown at home but if I was out in my one hour of the day to go for a walk or a jog (and keeping right away from people) and a copper told me to go home, I doubt I'd have the self control to not voice my opinion.  Just as there are idiots out there doing the wrong thing, there are also idiots out there in uniforms (who are no doubt an embarrassment to their colleagues as well).  I attended an incident this week & the worst offenders of the 1.5m rule were the people in uniform (from all services).  It's hard to remember when you're working but doesn't serve as a great example.

As for club plates....it has to be asking for trouble if your'e out in them at the moment, right or wrong.  

53 minutes ago, LeeM said:

The beat cops have been told to calm down a bit with that by their boss due to the public backlash. It's not necessary to be an arrogant prick about it

Absolutely - easier to be nice in most cases.

A permit is no different to full reg.   

My 73 is on full Reg.  My72 is on a permit.

No difference. 

I’m not suggesting people drive in ways that breach the lockdown but simply making the point that police targeting a car with historic plates shows a lack of understanding on their part as well as, to be fair to them, a lack of guidance application of rules and discretions.  

Automotive profiling if you will ...

In the end, they’re just trying to do their job.  As is the case in any occupation, some do it better than others.

I’m  driving the Tangerine Dream at the moment.  It’s on club plates.  It goes to the shops,  conveys me to my place of work and delivers me to my exercise point.  Versatile.  And perfectly legal.  

17 hours ago, Niko said:

Just off the radio...The Chief Health officer has said Learner Driving is not essential, and is not covered in the exemptions.

In this case however discretion may be applied and that the On the Spot fine was issued legitimately.

This case has highlighted the fact that it is not to be done.

-------------------------------------

Bit hard, 17 year old daughter with her Mum who she lives with.   Went out last night in the rain to get experience for her 120 hours in night and rain driving.

But apparently now not acceptable....

Traffic Infringement notice will be withdrawn.    But Assist Comm PATON on the radio now saying it is not to be done....so maybe any more issued will be enforced

2 minutes ago, Niko said:

Traffic Infringement notice will be withdrawn.    But Assist Comm PATON on the radio now saying it is not to be done....so maybe any more issued will be enforced

Absolute joke. I've got a couple of mates who are in the force and I feel so sorry for them seeing how some of their colleagues behave. They hate being associated with this rubbish. 

yes, absolute, utter joke.

There are so many people walking (which is a great thing normally), but how can you be in isolation?

Do I continue to teach my daughter to drive (when we have to go out) or not?

Just do a proper bloody lockdown, see you all in 2 weeks, gates shut.

I dont even want  to be at work.

All or nothing.

(sorry, this should end up going in the rant thread. Cabin fever.I put it down to not sailing in what seems like 34 years, 7 months...)

• 4 weeks later...

Not Corona related but seemed an appropriate spot to ask

if I buy a car that is currently on full reg in NSW and bring it to Vic for the purpose of Club Reg, what’s the process:

- seller takes NSW plates off

- seller provides a receipt of payment, change of ownership

- car is delivered yesterday truck to me in Vic

- take it in for RWC (should pass, roadworthy in NSW, engineered for engine swap)

- talk to Maserati Car Club (already a member) and they sign a form?  Do they need to see it or is RWC sufficient?

- take form and RWC to VicRoads and they issue plates?

is that it?  I understand no stamp duty payable?  I realise I could find this via various websites but looking for advice from those who have done it recently and also the interstate bit.   And is there any benefit to maintaining full reg in Vic vs dropping back to Club reg?  It’ll be a weekend hill blaster and maybe the odd track day.

last car I had on Club plates was around 2010 and things have changed with the scheme since then (no RWC needed back then 👌🏻)

before you ask, it’s not a P car.  I’ll share details if I end up buying it if anyone is interested 🤔