USE OF CLUB PERMIT VEHICLES - DURING CORONA VIRUS PERIOD

Niko

We just bought a car from WA to NSW ...

Seller left the plates on so we drove it home from the transport company registered.

We have all the necessary paperwork from seller and car club .. we will hand in the WA plates and get historic plates from RTA ..

No stamp duty payable by us as it's going on historic rego .. if it was going on full rego, then duty payable.

Can't say what process is in other states, but that's NSW ...

@DJM

Your description is pretty much correct. (Although things may have changed since I last did it.)  You will have to get a usual  Victorian RWC unless the car is before 1948 (??).

With your query about stamp duty; remember the Club permit is a PERMIT - not club "registration" so presently, you will not have to pay any transfer of Rego duty.

There are two areas of complication. First may be with your Club as they might require some qualifying rules before they accept you & your car. Clubs seem to be cracking down on any modifications from standard. Second may be VicRoads counter staff who range from helpful to hopeless - so I hope you get a goodun. 

Once in Vic, need 28 day permit to drive to and from RWC unless trailering.

Depends on the club whether you need to take the car to the club rep or not - should be listed on the Maserati club website. Some clubs like the VW club charge you to book an inspection with them. The Porsche club which manage both my 911 Carrera and MR2 turbo just needed the RWC and various photos of different views. If your car is engineered that may change things again as it may need to go on M plates.

Once the permit papers are signed by the club, I just needed to go into VicRoads with permit papers, RWC and I think I also brought in ownership papers.

Definitely no stamp duty payable. ~$150 for the 90 day permit plus will be cheaper insurance are the benefits of going this route. 

The plan is it will come with a VASS certificate from an Engineer which covers the engine swap, brake upgrades etc and roadworthied in NSW so I’m hoping it’ll breeze through RWC in Vic

Maserati are good guys so looks like I send the certs and 5 photos to them and they sign off then I trek down to vicroads with my certs and the Maserati sign off and I’m good to go.

i think 🤔

9 hours ago, DJM said:

The plan is it will come with a VASS certificate from an Engineer which covers the engine swap, brake upgrades etc and roadworthied in NSW so I’m hoping it’ll breeze through RWC in Vic

Maserati are good guys so looks like I send the certs and 5 photos to them and they sign off then I trek down to vicroads with my certs and the Maserati sign off and I’m good to go.

i think 🤔

I’d say you pretty much have it covered. 

I would however put in a call to Vic roads in relation to needing to book an appointment for registration transfer. If the car is currently on NSW registration you can surrender the NSW plates and transfer across to VIC without vicroads needing to inspect the car. If the car is unregistered you will need to take it to vicroads for them to inspect prior to transferring it onto VIC reg. Either of these processes requires an appointment. 

Chris Stephenson is who you’ll need to speak with at the Maserati club, let me know if you want his contact no. Bonus is, he also lives down our way so you can usually pop past and he’ll sign the papers on the spot. 

28 minutes ago, hugh said:

I would however put in a call to Vic roads in relation to needing to book an appointment for registration transfer. If the car is currently on NSW registration you can surrender the NSW plates and transfer across to VIC without vicroads needing to inspect the car. If the car is unregistered you will need to take it to vicroads for them to inspect prior to transferring it onto VIC reg. Either of these processes requires an appointment. 

Noting the above is only if you want to go with full registration. With club permits the car doesn't need to be inspected by VicRoads.

12 hours ago, DJM said:

roadworthied in NSW so I’m hoping it’ll breeze through RWC in Vic

Keep in mind the pink/blue slip in NSW is not based on the same criteria as Victorian RWC. The basics are the same, but unfortunately the Vic Nazi requirements are far more detailed. I'm sure you will have a good mechanic or someone you know who can be reasonable about it. But just wary, that many an Interstate car (even sold by dealers) have failed poorly when trying to pass RWC in Vic.

OK so all sorted.  Thanks for the advice.  I have now confirmed:

• Car comes with NSW Engineering certification. Vic Roads say that's fine, no need for VASS - stands to reason as it certifies to ADRs not state rules
  • my RWC guy says no issue, as long as NSW certs are provided, he is all good - car is very neat and Blue Slip will be provided so RWC issues are likely to be minor, if any
  • Maserati Club (Chris Stephens) says all good, happy to sign it off
  • then i trot down to VicRoads with the RWC, NSW certs and Maserati signature on the form and they issue plates (M plates in this case)

So believe it or not, i bought a car.  Details on another thread.....