GT4 Market watch!

56 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Would that be a tough decision for people looking for a GT3? 

Maybe, I baulked at a 997 GT3 CS and bought a 981 GT4 for about the same money.  It was a fabulous car but shoulda got a Clubsport (of which there seems to be very few).  

Now they are cheaper again, down to sub 997 and around 996 prices so I’d again have trouble choosing the GT3.  Having said that, I’ve still never owned a GT3 and I need to scratch that itch some day.

Or if GT4s get cheap enough, I’ll buy one and chuck a 991.2 RS engine at one, with a manual box  To me that would be epic and unlikely Porsche will ever do it.

3 hours ago, edgy said:

How low will they go? And who is a player?

I would love to buy a GT4, but reduced (?) prices for a good spec, then my 996 GT3 trade in value will also decrease  - probably more so as its an "old" car in comparison.

If the GT4 market is narrow, the 996 GT3 is even narrower!

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Would that be a tough decision for people looking for a GT3? 

39 minutes ago, DJM said:

Maybe, I baulked at a 997 GT3 CS and bought a 981 GT4 for about the same money.  It was a fabulous car but shoulda got a Clubsport (of which there seems to be very few).  

Now they are cheaper again, down to sub 997 and around 996 prices so I’d again have trouble choosing the GT3.  Having said that, I’ve still never owned a GT3 and I need to scratch that itch some day.

Or if GT4s get cheap enough, I’ll buy one and chuck a 991.2 RS engine at one, with a manual box  To me that would be epic and unlikely Porsche will ever do it.

29 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

I would love to buy a GT4, but reduced (?) prices for a good spec, then my 996 GT3 trade in value will also decrease  - probably more so as its an "old" car in comparison.

If the GT4 market is narrow, the 996 GT3 is even narrower!

For me personally, it’s not a car I’d cross shop with a GT3, although you absolutely can and should.

All being well, I’d like to “add” one to the stable if the prices were attractive enough (say circa $100k ~) 

i really love the new 718 GTS 4.0 models but the thought of that much depreciation just bothers me, this is becoming the compelling used alternative. 

also for the same investment as current 991 RS asking you can have a 997 GT3 & GT4 with change... yeah, yeah I know not an RS but hey... 

Have certainly been pondering the extent to which GT4 prices will drop, would have thought that they would go the same way 996 GT3s did, down to say the 100k mark then back up a bit. Newer versions coming along have some effect, maybe not the 4.0 too much as some consensus points to the 3.8 as being just as good, maybe even sweeter. COVID issues and the financial fallout of that,  who knows? 
Caymans in general are probably gaining more popularity amongst Porsche enthusiasts too as time goes by, a little "less poor man's 911" and a bit more "thinking man's Porsche" will stop the values dropping too much also as the word gets out about how good they are. Down the track spec will matter less over overall condition, would just be icing on the cake if it mattered to you, and how many get made, always a numbers game. Many factors but we will see, my guess is wait 2-3 yrs and buy the one that's just been driven enough.

I’ve been waiting for this thread :)

Have been watching keenly for the past few months. I personally thought 150-160 was still too much for a 981 even before the bat flu infected the globe. How have the 718s 4s been selling? I heard orders were down. Do we really think the low 100s are coming for the 981 soon?  I’m keen to get back into a road going Porsche and this makes the most sense to me as a p-car whose limits are remotely approachable on public roads. 

They’ve been creeping down.  When I bought in they were all 190-220 then when I sold mine there were a few at high 170s and 180s, mostly under 200.  Now sneaking under 150 and plenty around 160.  Still some dreamers over 200 albeit Clubsport seems very rare and so might command a decent premium.

From memory there was supposed to be 70 available but something like 110 delivered?  Of those 14 are currently on Carsales and it seems there’s always 10+ for sale which helps drive a bit of competitive pricing.  More were delivered and more on sale at any point than 996 or 997 GT3s.  996s troughed at mid 80s so.......

They are a cracking car.   Hate to say it but I found the chassis much more agreeable than a 911.  If they put a full RS motor in it, it’d smoke a GT3 I’d imagine.

GT4's at sub $150k are a very appealing thing. For me I would still probably have a 997 GT3 over a a GT4, but I would more than likely pick the GT4 over a 996 GT3.

Particularly after my recent Tassie trip and seeing the capability of the mid engined platform in trying to keep up with @TrevMcRev in the Boxrod. A more refined version of that platform with power would be hard to beat.

1 hour ago, DJM said:

They’ve been creeping down.  When I bought in they were all 190-220 then when I sold mine there were a few at high 170s and 180s, mostly under 200.  Now sneaking under 150 and plenty around 160.  Still some dreamers over 200 albeit Clubsport seems very rare and so might command a decent premium.

From memory there was supposed to be 70 available but something like 110 delivered?  Of those 14 are currently on Carsales and it seems there’s always 10+ for sale which helps drive a bit of competitive pricing.  More were delivered and more on sale at any point than 996 or 997 GT3s.  996s troughed at mid 80s so.......

They are a cracking car.   Hate to say it but I found the chassis much more agreeable than a 911.  If they put a full RS motor in it, it’d smoke a GT3 I’d imagine.

Was going to say, I can see these being in 2014 996 GT3 territory in a few more years. GT car yes but a bit half arsed with a run of the mill 911 engine might see them as tarnished in their mid life? Perhaps in similar vein to how 996 values suffered from the “ugly” headlights once they became the no-longer-new GT3. As we saw though with the 996 suddenly becoming appreciated for what it actually was (i.e. a bloody great car), perception is not always true.

1 hour ago, Rick V said:

Where the F&#k was I when 996 GT3’s were mid $80’s?!?!?

What were you doing in 2014 :)?

3 hours ago, spiller said:

Looks great in red.  I wonder how urgent his “urgent sale” is....🤔

10 hours ago, Rick V said:

Where the F&#k was I when 996 GT3’s were mid $80’s?!?!?

And there were plenty on market during that period.  I think mid 80s for a track rat was probably the cheapest but good clean ones were 90 odd.  I remember umming and aahing about a few of them then PFA put me onto a mint 996 GT2 for low 100s which I bought instead.  Those were the days.........

Yes indeed. I paid 84K in Jan 2015 with about 50-60 grand worth of fruit on it. We’d all go back and buy three or four if we could (same with 996 GT2!).

@DJM I’d imagine quite urgent with an 11k drop. There might be another 5-10 in it. Still a bit much for my wallet but approaching bloody good value territory. 

4 hours ago, sleazius said:

I'm all set (old photo but you get the idea).

garage_area.thumb.jpg.ebd2a6dd5c317893ea0a4bcba3dc1527.jpg

Very well equipped.  Front on, girth looks good,  but I'm lacking  length appreciation   So based on nothing but 4 wheel essentials,  is that 4 abreast ( tight squeeze)   x2  ( I'm sensing right side garage tweak (connection to the house?),  cut, rotate and paste)  to park 8 fully undercover.  Or  am I not giving enough credit and an  additional 4 or 8 undercover parking spots short. Now  would  I be correct in saying the P car and a potential lambo won't be required to  comply with  indoor social distancing rules  as they   will be physically located in seperate ICU's.