GT4 Market watch!

^^^ erm. Nope. But to meet new emissions standards the petrol Porsche engine have particulate filters. Apparently took quite some work to avoid them hurting the engine output but they did come with an unavoidable weight penalty and may have compromised the engine note. 

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/technology/porsche-gasoline-particulate-filter-engines-particulate-matter-engineer-martin-werner-christophorus-388-16349.html

I think I want one for as close to 100k as I can get, don’t care what colour, no need for Clubsport with what I have planned.

Throw some bits at it to create GT4 RS lite - proper seats, cage, harness, suspension tweaks, pads, exhaust.  All in, it’d cost around half the cost of a 991.2 GT3.  Avoid the stupid stamp duty on transfer too.

Yeah, Ok, Id be baulking at GT3 yet again but that chassis ...😍😍  What better P car for the track for mid 100s?  Keep it road reg, it’ll still be an event in the hills.

My GT4 was great but I agree with this, the drivetrain needed a bit more “snap”.  I was nearly $200k into that car and it seemed silly to start modifying.  But at low 100s now.....no problem.

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/cayman-gt4/20468/sharkwerks-porsche-cayman-gt4-review-an-improvement-on-near-perfection

400hp at the wheels ought to do it

https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-cayman-gt4-fabspeed-gt450-race-performance-package-2015-2016/

is my brain virus affected?

6 minutes ago, luzzo said:

So tempting to just go GT4. 

What will happen to that GT3 void in the brain... :EvilSmile:

Its been empty since about 2014 through various other choices.  I survive.

To be honest, I never really clicked with the arse heavy 996 GT2 handling.  Obviously 911s require a different driving style.  But the 981 GT4 felt like a perfectly fitting glove and i could drive it hard and with confidence. So well balanced but it just lacked that “snap” on track particularly.  So that chassis with a bit more punch and theatre could be perfect.  

the issue I run into every time with any GT3 is the entry price is high and I know that hampers enjoyment on track.  When the GT2 rocketed in value I was constantly thinking “what if I crash” so I stopped tracking it which annoyed me. GT4 is not chump change but it’s not 300k.

^^^^ I think you are on the path to righteousness. And you got me thinking. :)  one of my favourite paths to follow is “adding lightness”. Seems there is a full suite of lightweight pieces like doors, hatches and bonnets to shave some kg out. Half cage. Some race seats. Add some power. Shed some weight and you could have an epic weekend corner carver and track toy. As said. At 200k you wouldn’t. But at 100k... and be reversible mods... what’s not to like. Have a mate with a GT4 that had a similar view to you. The dynamics of the mid engine suited him more than the full rear engine experience. 

1 hour ago, DJM said:

At 100k its a no brainer.  With 400 rwhp  and -100kg it’d be a good thing.

Hey Doug

Hope all is well.

Thought I'd throw this into the mix, how does a conversion from 3.8 to 4.5L with 507HP at the wheels and tonne of torque sound?

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1175859-new-decade-new-motor-my-4-5l-deman-motorsport-build.html

Deman 4.5L - USD$28,500 + around 1k each way shipping. (Or buy engine core for 16k)

GT3RS cannot keep up with it.

I'll just leave it here for everyone to ponder :)

1 hour ago, spiller said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking naughty thoughts.

3 hours ago, sleazius said:

Or you could just buy an Exige, just saying. Got to lose a lot of weight on a Cayman to get to that level of hp per tonne.

Off ya go 😁

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/

3 hours ago, sleazius said:

Or you could just buy an Exige, just saying. Got to lose a lot of weight on a Cayman to get to that level of hp per tonne.

Came close but.....no.  A bit jerry built for my liking.  Not to mention I don’t fit.....and the Camry engine.

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1175859-new-decade-new-motor-my-4-5l-deman-motorsport-build.html

Deman 4.5L - USD$28,500 + around 1k each way shipping. (Or buy engine core for 16k)

Jim do you know if anyone in Aus has done the conversion?

27 minutes ago, DJM said:

Came close but.....no.  A bit jerry built for my liking.  Not to mention I don’t fit.....and the Camry engine.

Jim do you know if anyone in Aus has done the conversion?

On rennlist Charlie K and Warwick in Sydney are very interested in doing this. 

A Kiwi has had the 4.25L done before the 4.5L was available. 

11 hours ago, sleazius said:

Two sides to that equation.    Reckon right country of mark but the brand starts with a M as opposted to a L  and they even  have a  similiar philosophy.  I e    mid mount a  modded nissan motor as opposed to toyota  (lacks cylinders) and strap on a pair of mitsubishi turbo's to increase the numerator in that equation for good measure.  But it's swaybars less ( weight reduction).  Circa 450chp per tonne  and Tq numbers aren't too shabby either.( exige is a bit of a light weight in both departments), and a bigger tub ( carbon fibre another weight saver)  to fit those on the tubbier side.  Not cheap but tarting to trend  at high end  997.1 gt3 money starting with a 1.  Downside is eye watering maintenance and replacement costs if something  breaks.  

8 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

Two sides to that equation.    Reckon right country of mark but the brand starts with a M as opposted to a L  and the my have a  similiar philosophy.  I e    mid mount a  modded nissan motor and strap on a pair of mitsubishi turbo's, but ditch the sway bars.  Circa 450chp per tonne ( exige is a bit of a light weight in that department), and a bigger tub ( carbon fibre)  to fit those on the tubbier side.  Starting to trend  at high end  997.1 gt3 money.  Downside is eye watering maintenance and replacement costs if something  breaks.

And the turbo lag for which they are notorious.

You can chuck $20k at the aforementioned Lotus to get to 450 / tonne if you really want I spose. SimplySportsCars will be more than happy to take your money. Just a dirty comparison to this franken-porsche option.