986 or mazda rx-8

Rego, that NC looks absolutely stunning in largely stock exterior.

Is that just a standard NA/NB roof or was there a special NC version. Does a standard soft top NC require any mods to fit that roof.

looks so much better than the folding hard top. V impressed.

agree on the NC mk2 comments,  bulletproof internals

27 minutes ago, 550Spyder said:

Rego, that NC looks absolutely stunning in largely stock interior.

Is that just a standard NA/NB roof or was there a special NC version. Does a standard soft top NC require any mods to fit that roof.

looks so much better than the folding hard top. V impressed.

agree on the NC mk2 comments,  bulletproof internals

Thanks.

It's a Mazda OEM roof specific to the NC and Mazda have a fitting kit for it (they sell the parts individually if you get a hardtop without the whole kit).

The hardtops are sort of rare but that makes it even better when you get one!

DJM - no offence and I totally get the turbo/torque issue, but give me the Datsun n.a. Rotary every day of the week. Sounded absolutely brilliant and great battle with the Mitsubishi. I find the turbo cars a little soulless.

that IPRA bridge port is a thing of angry idling beauty, what a battle with the two big bangers.

Rotaries are all about disapproving looks, waking up the neighbours and the occasional ride home on a flat tray truck. Speed and HP aren't everything. If RX2s weren't going for $60k+ I would be serving up a thick slice of rotary action right now. 

1 hour ago, 550Spyder said:

DJM - no offence and I totally get the turbo/torque issue, but give me the Datsun n.a. Rotary every day of the week. Sounded absolutely brilliant and great battle with the Mitsubishi. I find the turbo cars a little soulless.

that IPRA bridge port is a thing of angry idling beauty, what a battle with the two big bangers.

Rotaries are all about disapproving looks, waking up the neighbours and the occasional ride home on a flat tray truck. Speed and HP aren't everything. If RX2s weren't going for $60k+ I would be serving up a thick slice of rotary action right now. 

Each to their own but I’ll take chasing down and passing current GT3s in a $45k Mazda every day over the frustrating lack of grunt from the NA rotary.  The turbo feels like it wants to pull a mono off the corners, puts you back in the seat like nothing else I’ve driven.  It’s awesome fun, not soulless in the slightest.

41 minutes ago, DJM said:

Each to their own but I’ll take chasing down and passing current GT3s in a $45k Mazda every day over the frustrating lack of grunt from the NA rotary.  The turbo feels like it wants to pull a mono off the corners, puts you back in the seat like nothing else I’ve driven.  It’s awesome fun, not soulless in the slightest.

As a former MX5 owner I can completely understand your point of view.  However what about an ND MX5 (second hand)?  They are dropping into the $20's and they are lighter than the NC?  Is the NC a better chassis in your opinion?

1 hour ago, Carrera28 said:

As a former MX5 owner I can completely understand your point of view.  However what about an ND MX5 (second hand)?  They are dropping into the $20's and they are lighter than the NC?  Is the NC a better chassis in your opinion?

I think the ND has a better Chassis and the 70kg difference (soft tops) is great.

The big issue in the ND1 is the gearbox , you don't want an ND with the V1 gearbox as it is known to fail but the later ones seem fine.

The ND2 I think is a fantastic car and the new engine is a big improvement but they are MY19 and above so are still expensive.

Main things I like about the NC2 is:
- Bulletproof gearbox (NC2 fixed shift fork and other things from the NC1)
- The NC has Hydraulic steering (Electric Steering on ND)
- NC2 has a 7,500 rpm fuel cut vs 6,800 rpm on the ND1 (ND2 is the same at 7,500RPM)
- You can bolt on RX8 parts like the RX8 front wheel hubs and brakes if you want to track your car a lot
- Easy engine swap option to a 2.5L (drops right in) to get a good power and torque boost.
- Option for a removable hardtop  which I like the look of (also better if you ever want a half cage)

Stock an NC2 is like a boat and very underwhelming but with coilovers and a 4.1 Differential it is an amazing car to drive especially at low speeds which is where most modern cars leave me unsatisfied.