My 03 C2 adventures (was: Intro and 996 Airbox questions)

st3ve

14 hours ago, Jason E said:

You wouldn't by chance still have the engine cover gas strut would you?? 

I still have it but doubt it's worth the Ozpost charge sending to Brisvegas.  Sounds like you're sorted anyhow.  :Beer:

5 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

Good work! This is the first post I’ve seen of modding the dash on a “modern” Pcar. I must be old fashion but I prefer the aesthetics of the older air cooled cars dash in its simplicity and everything blacked out. I understand the newer cars have more buttons & screens to find a home, like nav & sound. 

The central silver binnacle & oval buttons stick out, in my humble & retro aesthetic, like balls on a bull.

It would be a big project to change the binnacle for the sake of doing so. I wonder if anyone has tried?

Thanks!  I do think they look better with the lower console removed, for that "straight across" look - the floor area being completely separate to the dashboard.  But the practicalities of doing that on a MOST/Bose/PCM2 car is just a hassle.  Someone else here is working on a HVAC controller mount that hangs under the dash but is less intrusive than the lower console, it'll be interesting to see how that comes out.  Meanwhile I find the storage bin handy already, bear in mind it's intended to be more or less a daily driver.

The horseshoe and so on is not to everyone's taste, but I don't mind it.  The 986/996 lighter-colour interiors do come across too monochrome and a bit overpowering.  The savannah looks quite good with a few key components done in black to break it up.  I suspect the 'hilux grey' and Boxster red would respond similarly.  End of the day these cars were an adventurous last-gasp new direction for Porsche and were deliberately trying to break free of the ye olde 911 while still maintaining an engineering connection.  They're a 25 year old design that's too old to be new and new to be old.

Hey St3ve thanks for that nugget of gold further back regarding key syncing. Tried it today for my 2nd key and while it didn’t actually fix the problem, I only came to know about the method because of your post. Cheers for that. 

Key light flashes but it does nothing, so maybe a faulty transmitter. 

Glad it helped in some way, I enjoy the tinkering and working out the idiosyncrasies of the car. Both my keys flashed the key led but we're not received by the car.  The led in the middle of the dash tells various tales as well. If it does not respond to a button press, car has not received it.

New keys were the only option for me. Amusingly they were cheaper than those for a mate's Hyundai Santa Fe!

• 3 months later...

Fitted the Mr12Volt bluetooth adapter so I can at least stream some music and answer the odd call when driving.  I didn't want to hack into my original harness to tap the 12v and ground for the module so I found a suitable ISO stereo adapter I could modify at supercrapauto.  Using just the male and female black ISO plugs I repinned them as a 1:1 short extension  then cut into +12v and ground to splice the power feed for the module. 

It's a bit of a cable soup behind there especially with the very inflexible fibre loop Y-cable, but I fed everything through and located the bluetooth module and as much of the cable as possible in the void beneath the PCM2.  the included microphone I just fed through and stuck to the top of the steering column surround, aligning with a gap in the idiot lights.  Still chasing how to enable the phone buttons on the PCM2 but otherwise it all works very well.

Car is still going great, not so much use recently with various impositions on my time, roadworks on the Kings highway, earthworks on my driveway + rain turning it into a clay pan and so on.  But it got a quick run into the village today to the postie and it put a smile on the dial as usual.

Porker2869.JPG