NSW Historic Plates - The HORROR!

Our club works on a points system, Each meeting is worth 2 points Agm is 5, You need a total of of 20 to qualify for a club pemit. And that covers old motor homes, pretty  well anything on four wheels if it meets the 25 year thingy but you must have  a current RWC to get your plates.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, itsujack said:

Well, it's done!

I recon I can live with them for the $1k annual saving. In certain light they almost look black... Stuck on with some decent double sided tape thanks  @OBRUT 

Get some Numberplate frames (curved with frosted glass). There was a guy on NZ ebay that could make anything for you - that you couldn't get here. But anyway it doesnt look too bad IMO.

This absolutely shits me....

“Classic” Accord on club plates

just cruising into work on a Monday morning.....

I glared are him a few times in traffic ...I could just tell the bloke was doing it for the cheap rego.

532C8340-D606-4C6F-9AED-68850DD8CDB7.jpeg

16 minutes ago, G5032 said:

This absolutely shits me....

“Classic” Accord on club plates

I'm not sure exactly what about that "shits you"?? ... 

I'd happily do it for any car of mine that qualified ... and yes, I'd do it for the cheap rego ...

Sadly here in NSW it's for 30 years or older ... not 25 years like VIC ..

27 minutes ago, G5032 said:

And that’s exactly why if the local RTA’s decide to pull the club Reg scheme I won’t be surprised.....

We'll have to agree to disagree then .. 🙂

You can't offer a broad registration scheme then cherry pick what qualifies and what doesn't ... the rulings are for cars over 25 / 30 years old .. if a Honda Accord or a Commodore fall in this range, so be it ...

I reckon they are more likely to pull the scheme due to day trips not being recorded ..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mate that’s a good link though I have my wires crossed. Was look to see what happened to the petition to keep normal plates in NSW on Historic rego so we don’t have stick them purple and white plates on

I can tell you from a contact inside Services they were pretty pissed about it. Seems they made the scheme possible and damm cheap and accessible only for some owners to start demanding nice plates back on their cars. From what i heard someone in there thought about dropping the whole thing.

10 minutes ago, Buchanan Automotive said:

I can tell you from a contact inside Services they were pretty pissed about it. Seems they made the scheme possible and damm cheap and accessible only for some owners to start demanding nice plates back on their cars. From what i heard someone in there thought about dropping the whole thing.

I keep and maintain a number of historic cars, don't abuse the system (many do) and am very grateful that NSW finally followed the lead of SA and Vic.  I appreciate being able to use my cars if I choose and there's no way that I can manage to use the 60 days that the log book allows.  Although I try.  The system encourages people to retain and preserve vehicles that one day will become important to have preserved.

On 28/05/2020 at 07:49, Buchanan Automotive said:

I'm a NSW bureaucrat (environmental) and deal with these sorts of petitions pretty regularly.  In truth many petitions or individual proposals are not without merit and we often take on ideas or suggestions from stakeholders and the general public.  It can be annoying that the public doesn't realise just how much work and effort goes into pleasing as many people as possible.  But to get pissed at these sorts of things is lame, as ultimately the bureaucratic machinery and the public's expectations are what keeps me and my kind employed ;)   I'm also an ex Qld resident where I enjoyed their system that allows personalised plates to be displayed in combination with club rego.  There is absolutely no reason NSW cannot do the same thing now - nearly every traffic camera and police car can identify the registration status of a vehicle so you'll only get away with rorting the scheme for so long.  It's a pretty easy project for someone in RMS to take on... Especially if some extra charges can be tacked on ;)  

I feel very lucky in Queensland we can forgo the classic plate for a normal personalised plate and the rules have been relaxed so you can use the car a lot more than before by just posting your trip on the car club Facebook page which makes it a club event, only one car required. social club membership $10 p/a

Can anyone offer advice on car club membership for the purposes of historic rego in NSW?  I'm still hunting another set of wheels, but it's likely anything I buy will be +30yrs and eligible for historic rego in NSW (and I genuinely will be using only as a weekend car).  I'm looking for a suitable club on the Mid-North Coast (down to Newcastle) which meets the club requirements and can sponsor the registration.  My first thought was the PCNSW, but I'll have so little to do with it as a member I thought there might be something a bit more suitable?   I used to belong to a Marque Sports Car club in Townsville years ago - cheap, cheerful, and none of the bourgeoisie politics later endured with PCQ in Brisbane just for cheap rego. 

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

Got mine onto historic plates through the local heritage car club today.  Plates are both ugly and inconveniently sized as advised... I grabbed some expanded foam acrylic board and made normal sized bases to mount the new plates.  It'll do.

IMG_0246.jpeg

Double sided tape is your friend.