Accident on Eastern Freeway Melbourne

Just heard that the bad accident on the Eastern Freeway in Melbourne's east involved a Porsche and police who had pulled over the Porsche.  From the news the police and the driver of the Porsche were all out of their vehicles when the group were hit from behind by a semi trailer.  I sure hope that there was nobody on this forum involved.  Sounds really bad from news reports with multiple fatalities.  Really really sad news as it appears that police officers have also been killed.

He said two officers intercepted a Porsche 911 that was speeding on the freeway, and after pulling over the vehicle they decided to impound it. Shortly after two other officers were called to assist at the scene, a large refrigerated truck for a poultry company drove into the four police officers. The driver of the Porsche fled the scene, Ashton said, and he urged the driver to get in contact with the police.

^^ quality guy......😡

This is absolutely tragic 4 police offices lost in one incident.. A quick google search & i found this photo, if this photo is offensive in any way i will remove it 

looks like a black 991 involved & are those the generic number plates that Lorbek put on all of the cars they have in the showroom? LLC-001

Screen-Shot-2020-04-22-at-9-58-25-pm.png

@James P that photo isn't offensive, just distressing to all 911 enthusiasts. Especially 991 Turbo fans.

Hopefully it was stolen, but I doubt it since it's on camera doing the same thing last month - same time, same place, same direction.

Plates are commercial plates too. 

image.thumb.png.60bb3864578c6e9b70bf0647e620adfd.png

The reporting on this is really giving the rest of us a bad name. Granted the guy sounds like a POS, but what has that got to do with the car he is driving. Haven't seen too many "Toyota driver comes forward" articles. The headline on news this morning was something like "Porsche driver took photos" or something to that effect. Awesome.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/news/eastern-freeway-tragedy-porsche-driver-told-to-come-forward-after-witnessing-death-of-four-police-officers/news-story/1963ab107e67de7fa85a5ddd9ed05781

"Mr Ashton also said police were in contact with Facebook after the Porsche driver, a 41-year-old man with an extensive criminal history, put photos of the tragic scene online."

1 minute ago, sleazius said:

The reporting on this is really giving the rest of us a bad name. Granted the guy sounds like a POS, but what has that got to do with the car he is driving. Haven't seen too many "Toyota driver comes forward" articles. The headline on news this morning was something like "Porsche driver took photos" or something to that effect. Awesome.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/news/eastern-freeway-tragedy-porsche-driver-told-to-come-forward-after-witnessing-death-of-four-police-officers/news-story/1963ab107e67de7fa85a5ddd9ed05781

Not really . 

I guess they need to get to the bottom as to why the truckie did run into the group. Was he doing other things whilst driving and was distracted? Did he have some sort of medical problem? I also think one should rethink policies. Why stand in the Emergency lane? Plenty of space on the grass area . Other side of barriers , much safer. Anyway, total tragedy for everybody.

I think the commentary in the short video of this clown flying past (posted above) pretty much says it all about this POS.

That said, the truck driver is clearly at fault here.

I nave often thought that many Police officers put themselves (and other motorists) at risk when they pull over a car and stand around, instead of getting clear of the passing traffic.

Very sad, and totally avoidable tragedy for the four people who have lost their lives, just doing their job.

Unlikely the piece of shit driving that 991T was active on this forum - clearly not an enthusiast, more like pond scum. I hope he rots to death slowly, at some stage when the press dies down someone will move in and deliver justice. 

Makes me not want to own a Porsche

1 hour ago, Mick said:

So much emphasis on the Porsche not so much on the dickhead truck driver that killed everyone 

The police were on the side of the road because of the Porsche - the rest is collateral damage. A number of people have seen this car on the road driving like a lunatic for weeks.

I would not be driving a Porsche fast for a long time

a lot of families are hurting right now

Have been talking amongst friends the last month about this kind of thing; where "a car" of our choosing is involved in an incident during this lock down and how it could fuck it up for everyone doing the right thing, and here it is, it has happened.. and with a devastating outcome. 

I have so many WTF's, like why was he out and driving (under influence allegedly) like that during such an unprecedented time, why did they need 4 officers, how did the truck not see them? 

You have to feel for the ones who've lost their lives and their friends and families that will be affected, because for as much as I have all those WTF's it really boils down to this one individual acting completely negligent... it takes piss on all of us who work hard and do the right thing, I hope they throw the book at him for his actions and just STFU about the car... he'd of done the same in Great Wall, but that doesn't make good headlines. 

6 minutes ago, edgy said:

why did they need 4 officers, how did the truck not see them? 

Hey edgy, absolutely gut wrenching I feel sick to the core.
It will all come to light however, the information I have seems to be a normal stop with a couple of innocent factors that played out wrong.

normal stop for excessive speeding, Parked on the blind bend of the eastern freeway, drivers rap sheet is looong, tests positive, need to impound car backup called due to the individuals background, car impound and one of the officers still in the academy out on work experience placement. 

truck comes round inside lane at 100ks serves to the emergency lane to miss police cars all goes wrong from there.