ANZAC's of PFA

Who do we have on the forum that is ex-Military? Going to be a miserable ANZAC day this year with no march, in the spirit of everything virtual, list your branch, corps, years of service. Non-ANZAC (other country military) welcome; brothers in arms

OZVINO - Australian Army (RAE) 1985-1995 - thats me far right, 1986; blast wall after successfully stopping an anti-tank round

aa.thumb.JPG.5efba2ab36406bcf33d0c6dc01d005b4.JPG

For a few years our fellow PFA tribes from NSW, ACT and VIC would meet in Canberra where we would enjoy each other’s company and some great history at the War Memorial in Canberra which is world class. It’s always been a great weekend and keen to do this again.

Since then I’ve joined the council for the Military History Society of NSW. Here we do some great field trips and behind the scenes experiences such as a back of house tour of HARS (Historical Aircraft Restoration Society). Best part is the trip to these days out is also a great excuse for a drive. We meet once a month with a key note speaker.

Last month our guest speaker was incredible as joining us for a private conversation was WW2 veteran Retired Rear Admiral Guy Griffiths. 

He talked about his experience fighting in WW2, the Korean and the Vietnam Wars. 
Most memorable of all was as he recalled his memories of four Kamakaze planes crashing into his ship and as well the 85 Japanese planes descending on his ship HMS Repulse, eventually hitting it with torpedo bombs which sunk his ship in just 8 minutes on December 10, 1041. 
This ship was part of Z Force and was sunk along with the Prince of Wales. The loss of life was the greatest ever experienced by the Royal Navy in one incident; over 840 officers and men died.
He also was on lookout duty for the Bismarck and was commander of the aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne during the evacuation of Darwin for cyclone Tracey.
Incredible man, incredible experiences and very fortunate to have spent a couple of hours with him today.
More amazing a guests lined up for this year at The Military History Society of NSW. PM if you would like more info.

Nikko etc hope you don’t mind this post and let’s try and organise our next road trip  hopefully soon.

Thought some of you may find this of interest and if people are keen (Sorry SYDNEY location for the monthly meet) we could make our next field trip into a drive day as well.

D

my dad is German and 93 years old now , he was forced to fight on the Western front in France in 1943 as a 16 year old kid. Sat 2 years on a barb wired fence beach in the Normanby before released to go home. People spat in his face when he came home. Lifelong trauma and  a lost childhood. My Dad was amazed when he used to come to Australia to visit , and witnessed the love and care we put into our Australian Diggers. His Australian cousin fought against the Japanese as a fighter pilot , and to see these two proud people to meet and reunite , forced to fight on opposite sides in the war , was priceless and very special. I did 2 years of service in the German Army back in 1982 , Helicopter Regiment Celle , I was embarrassed and felt guilty as a 22 year old to 'serve ' , after the horrible nightmares of Worldwar2 , but now , after years of reflection , I am content that I was able to convince  Dad , that it is right to serve your country and that there is a difference between political propaganda and standing up for your family and your country. . God bless all the people who  sacrificed their lives , ensuring our way of save and free living. I'll be honoring these sacrifices  on my driveway with all of us as a family. Stay safe.

19 minutes ago, Arne Krix said:

my dad is German and 93 years old now , he was forced to fight on the Western front in France in 1943 as a 16 year old kid. Sat 2 years on a barb wired fence beach in the Normanby before released to go home. People spat in his face when he came home. Lifelong trauma and  a lost childhood. My Dad was amazed when he used to come to Australia to visit , and witnessed the love and care we put into our Australian Diggers. His Australian cousin fought against the Japanese as a fighter pilot , and to see these two proud people to meet and reunite , forced to fight on opposite sides in the war , was priceless and very special. I did 2 years of service in the German Army back in 1982 , Helicopter Regiment Celle , I was embarrassed and felt guilty as a 22 year old to 'serve ' , after the horrible nightmares of Worldwar2 , but now , after years of reflection , I am content that I was able to convince  Dad , that it is right to serve your country and that there is a difference between political propaganda and standing up for your family and your country. . God bless all the people who  sacrificed their lives , ensuring our way of save and free living. I'll be honoring these sacrifices  on my driveway with all of us as a family. Stay safe.

Arne, absolutely be proud of your service - your role was to serve and protect your country and that is what you did. The Germany of today (or 1982) is vastly different to that of WW2. Politicians start wars - soldiers fight them. Your father was drafted, like many soldiers. He served his country and should be proud of what he did. Lets hope 16 year old boys never have to fight again. 

7 hours ago, Ozvino said:

Dude, that looks absolutely bad ass MoFo territory, love the rover! 

Yes if there was,nt a war going on it is an interesting country to explore ,there is a beauty in the rough and rugged nature of the country ..

All the Rovers have names ...that one was the Spider Pig ,the one next to it was Motor boating ....

Awesome piece of kit ,,damn shame they are no longer in service... 

2 hours ago, Raven said:

Yes if there was,nt a war going on it is an interesting country to explore ,there is a beauty in the rough and rugged nature of the country ..

All the Rovers have names ...that one was the Spider Pig ,the one next to it was Motor boating ....

Awesome piece of kit ,,damn shame they are no longer in service... 

Raven, did they have the regular 3.9l  isuzu diesel motor the 110's had or was it beefed up?

Love the names !

11 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

Raven, did they have the regular 3.9l  isuzu diesel motor the 110's had or was it beefed up?

Love the names !

Yes 3.9 4 cyl diesel 4 speed high low range with front and rear diff locks 

the vehicle never came out of low range 

chassis was all super heavy duty and the electrical system was really beefed up to charge all the batteries we need for radios and coms gear 

weight was around 4 tone with full ammo load a 3 man crew 

no armour other than a few bolt of composite pieces  eg armour psychological 

amazing off road capabilities the places it went and the terrain it traveled over was astonishing never ever failed us 

B456CC46-B4F5-477A-8ABA-B7BA6DC8B570.jpeg

1A874F55-0BEE-4CDB-980D-DF9721102853.jpeg

Australian Regular Army 1968 1971.   Vietnam 1970-71 Boys own adventure.

Thank you for your service you other blokes.....No way known I would have wanted to serve in Iraq or Afghanistan, I have a lot of respect for you guys that did.

1382679752_FreeWorldCompoundSaigon1970aged19-3.thumb.jpeg.d9fa689392c42c2b6d5030a9147ca681.jpeg808716022_IanVietnam1970-2.thumb.jpeg.67a974d8d6c0322a5d806770d0d7f028.jpeg1345539296_img069-23.thumb.jpeg.12a4d192ebb72bc50bb895cea1eaea1f.jpeg

With 'A FEW GOOD MEN"  Vung Tau 1971....Can't understand how we "lost":P

2 minutes ago, Niko said:

Thank you for your service you other blokes.....No way known I would have wanted to serve in Iraq or Afghanistan, I have a lot of respect for you guys that did.

1345539296_img069-23.thumb.jpeg.12a4d192ebb72bc50bb895cea1eaea1f.jpeg

you didnt loose mate; awesome effort Niko, thanks for your service

30 minutes ago, Raven said:

Yes 3.9 4 cyl diesel 4 speed high low range with front and rear diff locks 

the vehicle never came out of low range 

chassis was all super heavy duty and the electrical system was really beefed up to charge all the batteries we need for radios and coms gear 

weight was around 4 tone with full ammo load a 3 man crew 

no armour other than a few bolt of composite pieces  eg armour psychological 

amazing off road capabilities the places it went and the terrain it traveled over was astonishing never ever failed us 

B456CC46-B4F5-477A-8ABA-B7BA6DC8B570.jpeg

You had me at .50 CAL !! What an awesome piece of kit

Thanks for your service mate, 1 Commando, total respect - thinking mans SAS !

1 hour ago, Niko said:

1382679752_FreeWorldCompoundSaigon1970aged19-3.thumb.jpeg.d9fa689392c42c2b6d5030a9147ca681.jpeg808716022_IanVietnam1970-2.thumb.jpeg.67a974d8d6c0322a5d806770d0d7f028.jpeg1345539296_img069-23.thumb.jpeg.12a4d192ebb72bc50bb895cea1eaea1f.jpeg

Still the same cheeky grin.  

DSC00854

thank you to all that serve on our behalf. 

@Niko, that SLR is bigger than you!  My old man was the supply officer on the 'Vung Tau' ferry for a few years...

Drove around in Hercs for a few years and did air-lift ops in a few places.  Got to see North Africa as well..

Kuwait 2004

i-W5Qp5XT.jpg

Talil, Iraq

i-3Pfrt8S.jpg

With Pakistani and Swedish mates in Sudan:

i-S3Jtvng.png

Miss it every day, but the military we used to be in does not exist any more...

Thank you all for your service!!

Father was in UK Merchant Navy in WW2 (medically unable to join forces, on at least one boat sunk by torpedo North Sea but he never really talked about it), Grandfather was Royal Marine Light Infantry (Plymouth Battalion) which became 2nd Royal Marine Battalion  WW1,  Wounded in Mesopotamia 1915.  Believe he was with British forces a couple of beaches along from Gallipoli

1 minute ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Thank you all for your service!!

Father was in UK Merchant Navy in WW2, Grandfather was Royal Marine Light Infantry (Plymouth Battalion) which became 2nd Royal Marine Battalion  WW1,  Wounded in Mesopotamia 1915.  Believe he was with British forces a couple of beaches along from Gallipoli

merchant navy in ww2 - some of the bravest men who ever served. Unarmed and keeping the supply lines open, war would have ground to a halt without them - a numbers game with jap and german subs hunting them down - that would have scared me shitless

26 minutes ago, Tit said:

Niko, that SLR is bigger than you!  My old man was the supply officer on the 'Vung Tau' ferry for a few years...

Drove around in Hercs for a few years and did air-lift ops in a few places.  Got to see North Africa as well..

Kuwait 2003

i-W5Qp5XT.jpg

Tit, this is what your Herc would have looked like back in the 80's - that was at Richmond Airbase October 1987 - I remember it being around the time the stock market crashed

ARMY3.thumb.JPG.ee67402a80f26072df626dd7e7ef52d4.JPG