Mystery non start / start question

Doish13

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. Car is 78 SC and sometimes it will not crank over when trying to start. Just a dull hum when you turn the key and no crank. Leave for an hour or so and it does start ok.

Battery is brand new.

Today happened again. As i was on a hill I released the park brake, move in gear (literally a cm and not enough to move the pistons) and tried again. Started perfectly. Same thing happened again with same remedy and same success. 

Can anyone help what this means?

50 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

Are the battery terminals tight?

Check earth leads, starter motor?

That's my guess. Happened a few times to mine till I worked it out. Loosen off terminals from the posts enough so that you can twist them (not mega loose) then tighten  

2 hours ago, Doish13 said:

Am I right here... loosen off battery terminals and re tighten? 

Yep, but turn them a 1/4 of a turn and/or wiggle them a bit to scratch up the posts then tighten back up. Might not be that, but it's a trial by elimination procedure

If it persists, I'd say it's your starter motor bendix freezing up. If that's the case, then you have to tap (not whack) the starter motor a few times (3-4) with a hammer or whatever to free it up

I have a 79SC and had this exact same thing happen.

It was a combination of the starter, corroded earth straps and the starter relay.

I'd start with checking the voltage across the relay first as that's the cheapest/easiest fix. Then earth straps, then starter.  As it happened my started was due a rebuild anyway - so happy to be able to get another 40 years out of it.