Vents Dash Mounted

Doish13

Was going to place this on the Vent Thread created by Caver.

My vent unit on the dash above the radio needs replacing as the blinds / vents are broken with age.

All the  vents I can see for sale are the larger variety which I thought only came out on later models to help with increasing cabin air ventilation.

Car is  78, 911... has anyone have any idea where I can find these units to match mine? Image below and second image also hit with a filter to show what I mean in better detail.

5BCE60E2-7C8D-4AD7-B9F3-52B1912513A4.jpeg

DFE81CDA-77AC-4446-9B33-A2DD7F0B5A39.jpeg

44 minutes ago, deano said:

if they are so hard to get, what about the option of 3D printing them?

Slightly beyond my ability at the moment, but there are way smarter people here who may be able to help...?

Mate I’m sure they are a certain model number which is then traceable just not seen them before so now starting to think perhaps mine are not original?

58 minutes ago, Doish13 said:

Mate I’m sure they are a certain model number which is then traceable just not seen them before so now starting to think perhaps mine are not original?

My '81 has really thin vents and they are vertical. Yours are horizontal and large.

I seem to remember something about the air vents being increased in later years to improve airflow ...

Doish,

There is nothing worse than a goofy vent grin!  I'm not OCD but ahhhhhhhhhhh, that annoys me! 

My understanding is that the center vent aperture size is the same for '77 until '86 so any of those will just clip in.  However it's best if someone else holds the piping the vent slips into from the frunk while you shove it in from the cabin.

I found that sometimes you can repair the vanes if they have broken pins by cutting a short slot and glueing in a shot piece of piano wire to replace the plastic pin.

They often come up for sale secondhand on Pelican classified but my recollection is that they are not unbelievably expensive to buy new and are readily available.

If you look up you PET, you'll get the actual part number.

To remove the old one, just use a couple putty knifes to unclip the housing and slowly work it out from the cabin side.  You should be able to get it out without breaking anything!

I'd just call James but to give idea of prices:

https://www.design911.com/Porsche/911-1965-1989/911-1974-83/Miscelanious-Parts/pt917_1317_-cma81-cmo104-ct359/

Cheers